Depression And Mental Health Support Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Re: Depression And Mental Health Support Thread

Post by Beast Blood »

Mental illnesses aren't something that should be ignored. They should be addressed as any other illness should, be it through therapy, medication, or making positive changes in your lifestyle.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Beast Blood wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:59 am Mental illnesses aren't something that should be ignored. They should be addressed as any other illness should, be it through therapy, medication, or making positive changes in your lifestyle.
Eh, that's different from person to person.

I have enough agency, and I think I can handle it.
Last edited by GojiDog on Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

GojiDog wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:02 am
Beast Blood wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:59 am Mental illnesses aren't something that should be ignored. They should be addressed as any other illness should, be it through therapy, medication, or making positive changes in your lifestyle.

Mental health issues don't get better on their own. Leaving them untreated just leads to them getting worse and ultimately makes them harder to treat and recover from.

https://highfocuscenters.pyramidhealthc ... l-illness/
https://deserthopetreatment.com/co-occu ... untreated/
https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog ... al-illness
https://www.verywellmind.com/can-depres ... nt-1067582
https://screening.mhanational.org/conte ... ay-its-own

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Beast Blood wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:25 am
GojiDog wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:02 am

Mental health issues don't get better on their own. Leaving them untreated just leads to them getting worse and ultimately makes them harder to treat and recover from.

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure I'll be okay.

Kill all white men.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GojiDog wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:28 am
Beast Blood wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:25 am
GojiDog wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:02 am Eh, that's different from person to person.

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure I'll be okay.
Dude, just this week you got a warning for spamming up the Coronavirus thread with alarmist declarations of how society is doomed. You're most definitely not okay.

Get help if you can.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm saying this as someone who is also most definitely not okay, so no judgement here.
Last edited by Spuro on Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:24 pm Dude, just this week you got a warning for spamming up the Coronavirus thread with alarmist declarations of how society is doomed. You're most definitely not okay.

Get help if you can.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm saying this as someone who is also most definitely not okay, so no judgement here.
Nah, that's completely unrelated. I'm good!

Really though, thanks for the kind words!

Kill all white men.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I hadn't intended to post here again, but boredom set in this afternoon and I desired to lurk. And because now I've happened across this, I feel it would be totally negligent of me to keep quiet.

GojiDog, a quick glance at your recent post history shows you've been displaying classic paranoid and mentally ill thoughts. Under these circumstances, whether you'll be OK or not sans medication is a call only a health care professional should make. I truly sympathize with your frustration in the ever-lasting process of treating depression, and I understand how much more difficult things are with the pandemic, but you really need to see a doctor about all that's going on. I don't presume to know your living situation, but assuming you live on your own, your desire to "stay as isolated as possible" is a prime setup for a suicide. I really hate to publicly put anyone on the spot like this, but from my perspective, your posts here have deemed that a necessity. Please seek professional help.
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:39 pm I hadn't intended to post here again, but boredom set in this afternoon and I desired to lurk. And because now I've happened across this, I feel it would be totally negligent of me to keep quiet.

GojiDog, a quick glance at your recent post history shows you've been displaying classic paranoid and mentally ill thoughts. Under these circumstances, whether you'll be OK or not sans medication is a call only a health care professional should make. I truly sympathize with your frustration in the ever-lasting process of treating depression, and I understand how much more difficult things are with the pandemic, but you really need to see a doctor about all that's going on. I don't presume to know your living situation, but assuming you live on your own, your desire to "stay as isolated as possible" is a prime setup for a suicide. I really hate to publicly put anyone on the spot like this, but from my perspective, your posts here have deemed that a necessity. Please seek professional help.
I appreciate the concern man but I'm good.

Seeking treatment will only expose me to corona and possibly spread that to others, which is a bad situation to be in, and I think living by myself, I have a pretty good handle on things.

I just bought a new house too, so I'm right as rain.
Last edited by GojiDog on Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kill all white men.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GojiDog wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:43 pm
Terasawa wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:39 pm I hadn't intended to post here again, but boredom set in this afternoon and I desired to lurk. And because now I've happened across this, I feel it would be totally negligent of me to keep quiet.

Seeking treatment will only expose me to corona and possibly spread that to others, which is a bad situation to be in, and I think living by myself, I have a pretty good handle on things.

Online therapy sessions through Zoom or similar software is becoming popular. You don't necessarily have to expose yourself. I had one back in November.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:50 pm
GojiDog wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:43 pm

Online therapy sessions through Zoom or similar software is becoming popular. You don't necessarily have to expose yourself. I had one back in November.
I appreciate the offer, but I doubt my insurance will cover that. My insurance is iffy. If its not specifically outlined in the policy, they don't do it, and I highly doubt video therapy sessions is something they'd account for, especially for programs that were developed after the policy was written.

Mental Health is different for everyone. Others need help, and others are best left to their own devices to kind of figure things out for themselves, and I think I'm in the later. Got a new house. Life is looking pretty good.

Kill all white men.

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

GojiDog wrote:and others are best left to their own devices to kind of figure things out for themselves,
I'm glad you're not a therapist.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Beast Blood wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:50 pm
GojiDog wrote:and others are best left to their own devices to kind of figure things out for themselves,
I'm glad you're not a therapist.
Nah, but I have made some richer in the past :D

Seriously though, I don't see anything wrong with tackling issues on your own. Some people need to do that. Find themselves and their individualism.

Kill all white men.

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

GojiDog wrote:Seriously though, I don't see anything wrong with tackling issues on your own. Some people need to do that. Find themselves and their individualism.
First off, my last response was unnecessarily scathing, so I apologize for it. My point was it was bad advice, but I should've worded it differently. It's just that I'm seeing someone who I think needs help not seeking the proper help and it's doing me a trigger, even if you said you currently were feeling happy with your new house and stuff. (That's the thing with depression, though; it's highs and lows.)

Secondly, I can agree that some self-reliance is good, but to an extent. As explained in the links I've sent earlier, it's not a good idea to leave certain issues unchecked. And it's kind of difficult to address the issues oneself when mental illness literally warps your perception of things and/or you don't even realize you have the issue to begin with.
Last edited by Beast Blood on Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I find it perhaps more than just a bit worrisome that, after what he posted here, GojiDog has not been online since January 9. Hopefully he's well and just staying away from this slice of Hell. If you see this, dude, check in and let us know you're good.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I really do understand the frustration with mental healthcare based on my own experiences.
Not just for GojiDog, but anyone who might be reading this, no matter how frustrating it is, don't give up on therapy. Even if the interaction with the therapist isn't ideal you're still bound to pick up some tools you need to start making improvements.
The world can be a terrible place but there's always a speck of beauty to be found, if you're willing to look for it.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I don't know how to talk about any of this stuff.

I have some bad habits, nothing destructive. I actually am very straight edge, I've never been drunk and don't do any drugs. I have a bad habit of motivation, being lethargic, and generally liking sweets and junk food way too much. I spend way too much time on my laptop.

I've never had a self-harming thought in my life. I am not about to belittle anyone who has struggled with those thoughts, just for me, I can't imagine ever having them.

But I'm beginning to wonder if my "self harm" is just coming in the form of these other habits. Like, one poor soul may cut themselves and I've never even had that thought....but splurging in the middle of the knight on candy bars is just a much nicer, more socially acceptable way of kinda sorta doing the same thing.

Like...I don't drink or do drugs. I don't sleep around. So I must be "good"....but then I don't exercise, like sweets and 'bad food' way too much, and will just lose myself into the "adult" parts of the internet to often and too long.

I feel like maybe I've been wrapped up into the notion of what I consider 'okay' and 'not okay' to do...that I'm indulging in these "not so bad habits" to the point of them becoming really bad habits...certainly self-sabotaging if not outright self destructive. I know I don't have the focus and attention I used to have, I know I don't have the energy or motivation I used to have...and that makes me very frustrated.

I have small stretches of time and moments where I can kick or reduce some of those habits well enough, but I inevitably slip back....and I get VERY hard on myself and really angry and upset when I do. I'm not great at "not being hard on myself"....and it is hard, because I am sure some people would kill for their bad habit to be 'I never exercise' or 'I eat too much sweets' or 'I watch too much XXX videos on the internet'....I am sure many people would consider those 'tame' problems to have.

So I get at odds. For me, I do think these bad habits are on a level that is really not good for me....because I know these habits have me on the WORST decline....which is the super slow and borderline irreversible decline because you don't really notice it until you're 40 pounds heavier than you should be. 6 foot...maybe 6'1 on a good day, and 230-235 pounds...and it isn't because of muscle.

I have bad habits that aren't lethal, but I know they are absolutely bad for me....and I struggle very much with kicking these habits, and really get angry and anxious when I can't keep these habits kicked....compounded by the fact that many rank these habits as "not that bad" or "everybody does it".

I don't want to be someone who slips into complete obesity or ends up socially dead because I've spent so much time indulging in stuff that "isn't that bad"

So I don't even know what I'm saying really...but it sucks and it is extremely frustrating. Sometimes my opinion of myself just gets so low and negative, and my self confidence and self-value kind of craters....and I'm not the best at coping with it because I generally just mask it.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

This isn’t for me, but I’m getting pretty worried about GojiDog.
For Emperor and Empire!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Reviving a dead thread

Aside from depression (which is something I’ve had since I was a child), I’ve been experiencing a lot of anger lately.

It’s why I’ve been pretty bitter on here over the last few months. I’m getting angry over a lot of things that I know I shouldn’t be angry about at all, but still make me so mad.

I’ll be at work and if a coworker inconveniences me in some minor way on accident I’ll think the worst things in the world about them, even though I don’t dislike them at all.

This is a relatively new development and I really hope it isn’t gonna be a permanent thing
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

^Sorry to hear that. It won't be permanent if you take the time to figure out what's making you so angry and address it, which can be easier said than done as it's not always obvious. Maybe some therapy is in order? I'm long overdue myself...
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:46 pm Reviving a dead thread

Aside from depression (which is something I’ve had since I was a child), I’ve been experiencing a lot of anger lately.

It’s why I’ve been pretty bitter on here over the last few months. I’m getting angry over a lot of things that I know I shouldn’t be angry about at all, but still make me so mad.

I’ll be at work and if a coworker inconveniences me in some minor way on accident I’ll think the worst things in the world about them, even though I don’t dislike them at all.

This is a relatively new development and I really hope it isn’t gonna be a permanent thing
I am sorry to hear that ''gottatalktothefake''.

As someone who is consistently lives full of anger, regret an severe depression I do hope yours does pass. It is something that really does effect your everyday life if it becomes permanent as it has mine. If it doesn't pass I would suggest alternatives before it does start to wear you down. I know I should listen to my own advice but i have felt warn down to the point that I am not sure what I would do even if I could be fixed. Best of wishes and if you need anyone just to speak or vent to I will make myself available to support you.