Depression And Mental Health Support Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Depression And Mental Health Support Thread

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:46 pm Reviving a dead thread

Aside from depression (which is something I’ve had since I was a child), I’ve been experiencing a lot of anger lately.

It’s why I’ve been pretty bitter on here over the last few months. I’m getting angry over a lot of things that I know I shouldn’t be angry about at all, but still make me so mad.

I’ll be at work and if a coworker inconveniences me in some minor way on accident I’ll think the worst things in the world about them, even though I don’t dislike them at all.

This is a relatively new development and I really hope it isn’t gonna be a permanent thing
Excessive anger is a hard thing to live with, but it's good you recognize that it isn't healthy. Self awareness is important in moving past such things!
I have had similar issues for a long time, since I was a child as well, recently I've found a good therapist, but even that wasn't really cutting it. So I started keeping a journal, which combined with therapy has the emotional responses a little bit more untangled. Writing stuff down really helps with that "everything is caught in the pipes" feeling.
Don't beat yourself up, and remember that at the root of that anger is something valid. Plus there's people here rooting for you!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Sydney’s been in full lockdown for ages and it’s taken a toll on my mental state. I have less of a motive to do work, get out of bed and do other menial activities.
For Emperor and Empire!

okraranclover
Young Farmer

Post by okraranclover »

i struggle with depression 5 years ago..

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

okraranclover wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:07 am i struggle with depression 5 years ago..
Same here. Since then, depression has been and on/off thing for me.

Extreme Warhawk
GPN Volunteer

Post by Extreme Warhawk »

My depression is not as bad as it was but it still flairs up. Also while not a mental health thing I have sleep apnea.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Not exactly depression, but I'm in a lull where I'm actively waiting on a lot of things to happen (finishing my MA, my baby etc...). As a result, I've gotten into a bad habit of drinking and smoking too much, a far cry to myself much earlier this year. To solve it, I'm going to quit smoking, drink far less, and exercise more. Additionally, I'd like to get back into some of my better hobbies that I've been neglecting, like scanning and translating some of the old Godzilla manga I've come across and studying Japanese.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Extreme Warhawk
GPN Volunteer

Had some more depressive episodes this week, not as bad as before but still not fun to go through.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’ve been having feelings of loneliness and dread, like my life has come to nothing. It’s honestly a bore. I feel like after I graduate this year, I have nothing left to do.
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Voyager wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:21 am I’ve been having feelings of loneliness and dread, like my life has come to nothing. It’s honestly a bore. I feel like after I graduate this year, I have nothing left to do.
That's what you think now, but once you graduate you'll have many more ambitions and goals. You may not know what those are in the present, but they'll reveal themselves to you shortly once you do what is necessary. Never settle for mediocrity.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

Didn't think I'd come back to talking about stuff like this but it seems like a good enough place to at least blow off some steam. Actually, steam is maybe a bad way of putting it. Back when I was a teenager wracked with hormonal despair and awkwardness, there was this burning inside me. An anger and defiance. Now, there's nothing. From July to October, just totally lost interest in anything and only really decided to try and stay alive for a reason I can't explain so it was likely pure survival instinct. It's a weird feeling just looking at things I was excited by and finding them totally unengaging, at least it is after this time. I know COVID is really eating at me and nobody I know really gives a rat's ass about how dangerous it really is. It's pretty horrifying thinking about how it can swoop by at any time.
Last edited by EdGojira on Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

deleted.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I’ve posted that I’ve had severe depression pretty much all my life. With it worsening or getting better at seemingly random times.

Im in a state that Ed described right now, it’s so bad I literally do not care about anything. It feels like I’m just waiting to die honestly. Everything in my life has fallen apart except my job and I’m just going through the motions. Like I’m looking through someone else’s eyes.

I only feel emptiness. Im not happy, sad or angry, I just exist. It’s lead to me sleeping like 15 hours a day. College is supposed to start up in like two weeks and I don’t know if I can do it.

My psychiatrist and I have been trying different meds and doses and it seems like nothing is working at all.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:34 am I’ve posted that I’ve had severe depression pretty much all my life. With it worsening or getting better at seemingly random times.

Im in a state that Ed described right now, it’s so bad I literally do not care about anything. It feels like I’m just waiting to die honestly. Everything in my life has fallen apart except my job and I’m just going through the motions. Like I’m looking through someone else’s eyes.

I only feel emptiness. Im not happy, sad or angry, I just exist. It’s lead to me sleeping like 15 hours a day. College is supposed to start up in like two weeks and I don’t know if I can do it.

My psychiatrist and I have been trying different meds and doses and it seems like nothing is working at all.
Have you told those around you (your psychiatrist, parents/family) these thoughts? I think it’s important that you describe those thoughts you had here, precisely to them, if you feel safe enough to.

I feel this is a particularly rough part of the year. I’m sure you, as you said, have been depressed for a good amount of time, but I think post-holidays and with the sun going down it can get even worse. I know the sun coming back won’t magically solve all your issues, but it’s always nice being able to go out for a walk and feel the warmth, rather than be cooped up inside. Keep focusing on work, hang in there, and talk to others in your immediate vicinity if possible. Depression doesn’t magically get better, but if you can hang in there I’m sure there will be an upswing once things get warmer.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’d honestly recommend the same things I was giving Spuro earlier today.

- Consistent Sleep Schedule
- Enjoy Nature
- Talk to friends/family/others who are close about your worries
- Eat Healthy
- Do things you like: Play games, do hobbies, etc.
- You’ve said that your job is the only thing that hasn’t fallen apart, so I’d recommend focusing on that.

GTTTF, I know we’ve never been anything but passive aggressive to each other at best, but I care for you as much as anyone else on this site. You’re my peers.
For Emperor and Empire!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:34 am I’ve posted that I’ve had severe depression pretty much all my life. With it worsening or getting better at seemingly random times.

Just don't give up. It can be really hard to find the time to the things Voyager suggested, but try and get it where you can, even if it's only small bursts. Try new things even if they seem oddball, if the things you like aren't really hitting anymore.
College is a definitely challenge, but it might not be as bad as it seems once you're in the flow of things.
A stupid piece of advice I got that actually turned out to be very helpful was to find some sunlight in your home somewhere and stare at it for a while.
https://brightnote.co/products/brightno ... w8QAvD_BwE (These lamps are also supposedly quite effective at taking the edge off. my buddy's wife has one in the bathroom she can stare at when she poops.)

Most importantly, remember that your brain chemistry is painting things a darker shade of blegh then they really are. It's easy to see that when you're not in the throes of depression, but it's true. You've also got people pulling for you here on TK that want to see you make it through and thrive.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

I think I'm coming close to ending things. I got a reminder recently that I have been working on my novel for five years at this point and even if I have more than 100,000 words, I feel like it deserves 100,000 more and I just don't think I have the energy. I lost a beloved dog I had for 16 years last summer and the summer before one who I had for eight. Now the dog who got me through both deaths herself is suddenly gone... even though I keep saying that this will just make my dedications to them more heartfelt in my book and try to look on the brighter side of things, my mind keeps creeping up to a very upsetting solution to my anguish.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

EdGojira wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:09 pm I think I'm coming close to ending things. I got a reminder recently that I have been working on my novel for five years at this point and even if I have more than 100,000 words, I feel like it deserves 100,000 more and I just don't think I have the energy. I lost a beloved dog I had for 16 years last summer and the summer before one who I had for eight. Now the dog who got me through both deaths herself is suddenly gone... even though I keep saying that this will just make my dedications to them more heartfelt in my book and try to look on the brighter side of things, my mind keeps creeping up to a very upsetting solution to my anguish.
Whatever you do, do not end it. There is someone or a group of people out there who need you. People love you and you snuffing out your own light isn’t going to fix anything. Tears will be shed for you.
For Emperor and Empire!

Extreme Warhawk
GPN Volunteer

I am having a depressive episode. I only got a few hours of daylight the past few days in a row.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

You know how sometimes people can be depressed even with vast amounts of wealth and fame? Well the same can apply to having all of the basic needs in life, i.e food, shelter, loved ones, ect. I am one of those people.

Extreme Warhawk
GPN Volunteer

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:24 pm You know how sometimes people can be depressed even with vast amounts of wealth and fame? Well the same can apply to having all of the basic needs in life, i.e food, shelter, loved ones, ect. I am one of those people.
It be a lot of things, for me I lost some people I was close to, hurts to this day. Even years later.