Say Something Positive About The Anime Trilogy

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: Say Something Positive About The Anime Trilogy

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

How about that Biollante esq theme opening?
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Zillamon51
GPN Volunteer

Post by Zillamon51 »

It's over.

Lumpy PS2 Godzilla, the Mechagodzilla that is mentioned but never shows up, Silhouette Mothra, and Gummy Worm Ghidorah are in the rearview.

Onward to KotM, which looks spectacular.

NBG2
Samurai

Post by NBG2 »

It actually has a message by the end of the third film, and gave us the most powerful Godzilla incarnation in recent history: a merciless, destructive force of nature that would mop the floor with Legendary’s Godzilla if they met.
Last edited by NBG2 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

NBG2 wrote:It actually has a message by the end of the third film, and gave us the most powerful Godzilla incarnation in recent history: a merciless, destructive force of nature that would mop the floor with Legendary’s Godzilla if they met.
Legendary was never meant to be one of the OP Godzilla's, he's just Early Showa 2.0, hence the more flamey breath and hence why Kong was still hurt by bulllets just without the dying part. If Legendary was one of the OP laser spammers like what we've been getting then they'd have to beef up Kong even more, possibly even give him lightning powersagain. :?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Tbh when it comes to giant monsters, there is a certain point where it becomes too much. Godzilla Earth, imo, crosses that point by a fucking landslide. The fact that he's so ridiculously huge and is basically every "power stats" fanboy's dream comes with the expense of him being a giant, static mountain that barely does anything except for shooting an overpowered weapon every few seconds. Imo he's probably the most boring incarnation (although some might disagree here, which is completely fine) to date. I appreciate that they tried to give him a few moments of actual reaction and character in Planet Eater, but overall he still felt statue-esque.
Needles to say, i'm also not a huge fan of his design. I like some elements like the spike beard, dorsal plates and metallic nature, but those weird human legs and crackpot face are just hard for me not to laugh at :lol:

And of course he'll wipe the floor with Legendary- he will wipe the floor with every single one of the previous Godzilla kaiju by simply stepping on them :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

NBG2 wrote:It actually has a message by the end of the third film
A stale, rote "message" that, as with almost every other time a Luddite moral has been attached to something in history, comes off as half-baked at best and more likely insincere and idiotic.
Dv-218 wrote:Spoiler tagged for length:
Spoiler:
Tbh when it comes to giant monsters, there is a certain point where it becomes too much. Godzilla Earth, imo, crosses that point by a fucking landslide. The fact that he's so ridiculously huge and is basically every "power stats" fanboy's dream comes with the expense of him being a giant, static mountain that barely does anything except for shooting an overpowered weapon every few seconds. Imo he's probably the most boring incarnation (although some might disagree here, which is completely fine) to date. I appreciate that they tried to give him a few moments of actual reaction and character in Planet Eater, but overall he still felt statue-esque.
Needles to say, i'm also not a huge fan of his design. I like some elements like the spike beard, dorsal plates and metallic nature, but those weird human legs and crackpot face are just hard for me not to laugh at :lol:

And of course he'll wipe the floor with Legendary- he will wipe the floor with every single one of the previous Godzilla kaiju by simply stepping on them :lol:
You pretty much pulled this straight out of my own head. He's just too damn big and powerful to be at all interesting.
Last edited by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
NBG2 wrote:It actually has a message by the end of the third film
A stale, rote "message" that, as with almost every other time a Luddite moral has been attached to something in history, comes off as half-baked at best and more likely insincere and idiotic.
Dv-218 wrote:Spoiler tagged for length:
Spoiler:
Tbh when it comes to giant monsters, there is a certain point where it becomes too much. Godzilla Earth, imo, crosses that point by a skreeonking landslide. The fact that he's so ridiculously huge and is basically every "power stats" fanboy's dream comes with the expense of him being a giant, static mountain that barely does anything except for shooting an overpowered weapon every few seconds. Imo he's probably the most boring incarnation (although some might disagree here, which is completely fine) to date. I appreciate that they tried to give him a few moments of actual reaction and character in Planet Eater, but overall he still felt statue-esque.

You pretty much pulled this straight out of my own head. He's just too damn big and powerful to be at all interesting.
Pretty much. Come to think about it, he makes for a pretty nice black-and-white contrast with G98- both are the absolute extremes of their own sides of the spectrum. One removes all monstrous and god-like qualities from Godzilla, rendering him a mere animal- while the other multiplies them to the point where it becomes straight up ridiculous. Imo Godzilla is at his most interesting when he's inbetween those spectrums. Even Shin and Heisei are not infallibe JoJo characters.
I mean, it isn't a coincidence that both have a massive Chin to boot :lol:

The positive aspect of this, however, is that the Godzilla-height measuring contest is finally over :lol:

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

- Urobuchi slowly but surely built up the classic messages of the dangers of unchecked technology and man having to live in harmony with itself and nature instead of constantly fighting for control.
- Some very well done scenes like Haruo's descion in City On The Edge Of Battle and Haruo observing the atomic bombing in Planet Eater
- Making Haruo less of a shit over time, so we went from a point where we would
Spoiler:
praise his death
to being just ambivelent to it.
- Anime Ghidorah rocked. Seriously, aside from a rather unintimidating "battle" with Earth, this incarnation was a cosmic horror the likes of which the character has never been before. Monsterverse got some competiton.

RIP Evan.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

I haven’t heard one person mention the dangerous of religion :P
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yeah, the dangers of over reliance on technology and religion were great.

Also, (spoilers even though I don't think anyone cares anymore)
Spoiler:
I love how it ended with humanity having to coexist with Godzilla.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Also, (spoilers even though I don't think anyone cares anymore)
Spoiler:
ME. FUCKIN. TOO.

Also, "Godzilla Earth" is one of the coolest names I've ever heard in my life.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Dr. Professor wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Also, (spoilers even though I don't think anyone cares anymore)
Spoiler:
ME. skreeonkin. TOO.

Also, "Godzilla Earth" is one of the coolest names I've ever heard in my life.
How right you are.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

It had a great premise with some good ideas and it established a continuity that lasted more than two movies.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Really loved the RZA songs in the trilogy.
#slatternking

gojizillakong
Samurai

Post by gojizillakong »

I loved Metphies - to me he was the most interesting character in the entire trilogy.

The Bilusaludo in City on the Edge of Battle also weren't the cliché protagonist you would expect.

I absolutely loved Void Ghidorah - the scene where he destroyed the aratrum was spectacular and I think he's one of my favourite incarnations of Ghidorah.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

I do like that the Bilusaludo at least didn't come off as truly bad guys, just ones with a very different view of the universe. One of the ideas I'd like to have seen more done with actually.

I was really expecting just Metphies to be evil and the rest of the Exif to maybe see Ghidorah as some sort of destruction god, but not actively bring him about.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Gonna paste my thoughts from different threads before:

My City on the Edge of Battle review:
Before watching the film, I was really bummed out to hear about the lack of monster-vs-monster action. That plus the IGN review made me fear for the worse.

However, I really really enjoyed this!

I found the first one okay but this was definitely great for me.

In my eyes, the animation was much more smoother and polished compared to the first film! Character movements arent distracting anymore and the new environments are rendered well.

Actually interesting character dynamics & drama (especially for a kaiju film!) and a very thougtful re-imagining of the Godzilla universe's various humanoid races make for some good stuff even when Godzilla isnt around.

Godzilla has brief screen time but hes peppered throughout the film & takes center stage during the climax. Add to the fact that hes a constant topic of the film's dialogue, and his presence is felt throughout the movie.

Dont expect a monster mash, and go in expecting what we all expected these movies to be: a sci-fi reimagining of the Godzilla universe.

8/10
My general take on the trilogy as a whole:
I really like the Polygon Trilogy and I prefer it over Singular Point. Haruo starts off like a lot of other franchise protagonists but becomes a very interesting character by the trilogy’s end. I also appreciated the trilogy’s perspectives on the classic man vs nature theme and how our societies/cultures are deeply linked to the monsters we fear or worship, like a “You reap what you sow” theme. Living in a society where even academics are still strongly superstitious and believe in folkloric spirits, I love it when the franchise taps into the cultural aspect of giant monsters.
My thoughts on how the trilogy didn't connect with fans:
Its also interesting that the prequel novels are very action-heavy, which I think draws some unfair comparisons to the actual anime trilogy movies. Even though they both take place in the same universe, the novels & the movies have very different storytelling approaches.
I think the trilogy being, IMO, unfairly compared to the prequel novels, the expectations for kaiju fights in shonen style to "make use" of the medium (I wouldve enjoyed dynamic battles also, but the medium of anime is more than that), the lack of a traditional Mechagodzilla & Ghidorah (while not a 1:1 comparison, the fact that some fans dislike GMK Ghidorah for simply being a good guy reminds me of how some fans really prefer traditional takes on characters), put the trilogy in a tight corner to begin with for some of the fandom.

Overall, I really like the Polygon trilogy and I hope that as the years pass, the appreciation for it will grow.
Last edited by kaijukurt on Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

“The Golden Demise” alone is an amazing concept and title for Ghidorah, and I always remember that about the trilogy. Planet Eater’s setup and at least some of its executioner were intriguing— the cult elements especially were cool to see and did a great job at exemplifying the terror and powerlessness against these titanic creatures.

I also think the concept of a Godzilla that succeeded and overtook the earth completely is so cool. The fight at the end of Planet of the Monsters and the twist afterward is an amazing idea.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

The world building. The backstory is great and it makes me wish that we actually got to see it the movies.
It gave us the biggest and most powerful Godzilla ever.
I did like the idea of having nanometal in this trilogy and play an important role in the story.
I really like the Servum. They are some of the best things we got from this trilogy.
The tone in this trilogy is very dark, and I like that.
The cosmic horror vibes of The Planet Eater is top notch.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

It had some interesting ideas here and there. That’s it.