Who could have an R rated film?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BlankAccount
Sazer

Who could have an R rated film?

Post by BlankAccount »

Just humor me for a moment.

Which monster if given a spinoff film could get away with an R rating? I feel like Rodan could, he's been a villain and anti-hero but never full on protective of humans thus never a full hero. Same with Battra. Gigan and King Ghidorah could also probably get away with having an R film for the obvious reasons they are well, you know, evil planet killers/conquers. And Hedorah because, well, do I even need to explain this one?

Realistically if they ever did an R film in the Monsterverse I feel it would be an original monster and not any classics we know. King Kong I feel got close at times (Cannibal Holocaust call back anyone?) but they obviously tried to keep it PG-13 for the market value (he is loved by children after all).

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Who could have an R rated film?

Post by Ivo-goji »

Well, any of them could, but that doesn't mean any of them should.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

A rated R Godzilla movie would flop hard. Most of the revenue these movies rake in come from kids.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

I feel like 90% of godzilla monsters COULD have a good, R-rated movie. They would all do shit at the box office, but I think a lot of em could benefit from the R rating.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

They definitely could. Kong: Skull Island skirted the border fairly close, I've heard plenty of people say (and I agree) that it was the hardest PG-13 to come out in a while. It wouldn't have taken much at all to bump K:SI up to R - toss in a little more profanity and a couple more shots of the blood/gore, that's really all it needed.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

While I don't think an R rated MonsterVerse film is inherently a bad idea in of itself from a creative/filmmaking standpoint (Personally, I would honestly be all for it to see what could be done with that kind of freedom), I don't think it would be worth from a financial one. A huge portion of this series' audience is children, and if you cut them out of the equation, the film would almost certainly flop hard and Legendary/Warner Bros./Toho at the moment just plain can't afford any film in this genre to flop, they need all the money they can get.

I think it'd be best to wait at least a few decades (perhaps around the 2030s-2040s at the earliest) before gambling with an R rated Godzilla/kaiju film in general. Unlike Disney, Marvel Studios, 21st Century Fox, and whatnot, Legendary and Toho don't have nearly enough money to greenlight R rated kaiju films willynilly and not be screwed over when they barely make any money back. Kaiju films are still relatively niche, they're really just now starting to have something resembling a presence on mainstream pop culture.

TL;DR - The time isn't right yet for an R rated Godzilla/kaiju film.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I hope to god we will never get an R rated Godzilla movie. Kaiju movies thrive on their optimistic themes and a American R rated movie would just be needlessly edgy and graphic.

I wouldn't say no to a R rated comedic reboot of something like Legends of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds or The Giant Claw in the style of Deadpool, though.

RIP Evan.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I hope to god we will never get an R rated Godzilla movie. Kaiju movies thrive on their optimistic themes and a American R rated movie would just be needlessly edgy and graphic.

I wouldn't say no to a R rated comedic reboot of something like Legends of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds or The Giant Claw in the style of Deadpool, though.
Holy crap, the "Legends of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds" remake idea is pure gold. Especially if they bring back the funky 70's jazz music that plays when the not-Rodan "Rhamphorynchus" brutally mauls the crowd :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Destoroyah, Megaguirus, & Hedorah come to mind. The "horror" elements in their respective movies of the past justify this assessment.
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Shin Godzilla would have benefited from an R rating. Or any Godzilla film looking to emulate the horror of the original.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I guess one reason I can't get behind this idea is that I just don't consider kaiju films horror movies.

A Deadpool style adult comedy would be different- but I don't really have any clever ideas for one.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Ivo-goji wrote:I guess one reason I can't get behind this idea is that I just don't consider kaiju films horror movies.
I think some can kinda count as horror, but definitely not the full blown blood and guts horror an R rating would bring
A Deadpool style adult comedy would be different- but I don't really have any clever ideas for one.
Yeah, I was thinking something like Deadpool as in not being restrained by a PG-13 rating and mildly mocking the cliches of the genre. I was thinking a reboot of something like Yongary because its obscure and ridiculous entough for something like that.

Though now that I think about it, you know what would make a great gory R rated monster movie comedy?

RIP Evan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Toho should do a shot at an R-rated Kaiju film themselves.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Ivo-goji wrote:Well, any of them could, but that doesn't mean any of them should.
Exactly. None of the movies need one, unless you want a Taratino/Lynch-esque film with over-the-top violence.
Last edited by Dawsbfiremind on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

"Does he look like a 3 headed b*tch!?"
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I think good R-rated kaiju films are doable, both serious and as comedies. The trick would be the execution.
Dv-218 wrote:"Does he look like a 3 headed b*tch!?"
It's been on record for about ten years now that Tarantino has a concept for a Godzilla film in his head, based around the idea that Japan would inevitably come to worship Godzilla as a god after he saves them time and time again. Depending on how he did it, I think that might be able to pass as a good R-rated Godzilla film.
Last edited by G2000 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

G2000 wrote:I think good R-rated kaiju films are doable, both serious and as comedies. The trick would be the execution.
It's been on record for about ten years now that Tarantino has a concept for a Godzilla film in his head, based around the idea that Japan would inevitably come to worship Godzilla as a god after he saves them time and time again. Depending on how he did it, I think that might be able to pass as a good R-rated Godzilla film.
Why do I love this concept :lol:
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
G2000 wrote:I think good R-rated kaiju films are doable, both serious and as comedies. The trick would be the execution.
Why do I love this concept :lol:
Probably because it's fucking awesome.

Picture this: Kill Bill-style kaiju beheadings causing citywide blood floods. 'Nuff said.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Wow, this concept actually sounds criminally awesome. Didn't know Tarantino had an idea for a Godzilla film :lol:

"Hey Angirraaa"
"Whaddya want?"
"This morning air is some chilly s*it"
"Ok"
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

A film doesn't need a ton of cussing or bucket loads of blood or gore to be R rated.

If Gojira 1954 were made today and showed victims of his radiation posioning I could see that imagery being disturbing enough to be PG-13 or higher in of itself.
Pkmatrix wrote:They definitely could. Kong: Skull Island skirted the border fairly close, I've heard plenty of people say (and I agree) that it was the hardest PG-13 to come out in a while. It wouldn't have taken much at all to bump K:SI up to R - toss in a little more profanity and a couple more shots of the blood/gore, that's really all it needed.
I still feel like K:SI didn't get an R because they bribed someone. :lol:

Makes sense though, King Kong and Gamera monsters tend to be more brutal and animistic than Godzilla monsters.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I hope to god we will never get an R rated Godzilla movie. Kaiju movies thrive on their optimistic themes and a American R rated movie would just be needlessly edgy and graphic.
Attack on Titan was optimistic? JK, it was at the end but had it gotten a rating in the U.S. it'd probably would have gotten an R easily.
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Shin Godzilla would have benefited from an R rating. Or any Godzilla film looking to emulate the horror of the original.
Those radiation burns.

With Shin though we saw more of the horror and suffering of the monster being burned than the humans. Like a lot of people died but was done in that Independence Day way where the most you see is people blown away by an explosion.