How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:42 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:51 pm What better way to do that than going full multiverse?
...how about just having another Godzilla exist...?

Enough of this "multiverse" bullshit.
Why is the majority of people around here so vehemently against the idea of the franchise exploring the multiverse a las Marvel and DC? Whether it works or not all depends on a good enough writer and/or director.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by godjacob »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:03 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:51 pm What better way to do that than going full multiverse?

Why is the majority of people around here so vehemently against the idea of the franchise exploring the multiverse a las Marvel and DC? Whether it works or not all depends on a good enough writer and/or director.
Cause Multiverse is mainstream now and automatically bad because of it. Obviously :roll:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

godjacob wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:18 pm

Cause Multiverse is mainstream now and automatically bad because of it. Obviously :roll:
So you're just worried Toho doing it will come across as a half-assed ploy to chase trends?

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:20 pm
godjacob wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:18 pm

So you're just worried Toho doing it will come across as a half-assed ploy to chase trends?
No I was being sarcastic. I for one would love a multiverse Godzilla story, think it can be fun but some people scoff at the concept just cause DC & Marvel are doing it right now.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

godjacob wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:23 pm
No I was being sarcastic. I for one would love a multiverse Godzilla story, think it can be fun but some people scoff at the concept just cause DC & Marvel are doing it right now.
If kaiju and superhero media switched places in their respective grades of being mainstream, people will scoff at Marvel and DC for copying Godzilla.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:33 pm
If kaiju and superhero media switched places in their respective grades of being mainstream, people will scoff at Marvel and DC for copying Godzilla.
Not really. It would only make sense. Superhero stories commonly have multiverse plots.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:44 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:33 pm
Not really. It would only make sense. Superhero stories commonly have multiverse plots.
Of all the crazy and outlandish routes this franchise has gone in recent years, heck decades even, why would the multiverse-route be too much?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don't give a rat's ass whether or not DC or Marvel are doing it, I'm just fucking sick of hearing it brought up in every idea thread.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:08 pm I don't give a rat's ass whether or not DC or Marvel are doing it, I'm just skreeonking sick of hearing it brought up in every idea thread.
I completely agree.

Stop.

It's getting annoying. View the Godzilla franchise as a unique entity.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Unfortunately those who are Pro-Multiverse won’t just stop. It’d have to take some authoritarian actions to kill an idea for good.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:22 pm Unfortunately those who are Pro-Multiverse won’t just stop. It’d have to take some authoritarian actions to kill an idea for good.
Between this and hanging 01 Goji voters in the Suits Thread you are clearly getting too ambitious with power lol

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:38 pm
Voyager wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:22 pm Unfortunately those who are Pro-Multiverse won’t just stop. It’d have to take some authoritarian actions to kill an idea for good.
Between this and hanging 01 Goji voters in the Suits Thread you are clearly getting too ambitious with power lol
There'd be a lot of people in deep shit if I was ever made a mod :lol:
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

What’s wrong with someone being vocal over an idea or thought they’re passionate about? Also, why should an idea become taboo just because some get tired of it?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:07 pm
What’s wrong with someone being vocal over an idea or thought they’re passionate about? Also, why should an idea become taboo just because some get tired of it?
I was moreso replying to LSD and UG here. It’s clear they despise the idea.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:16 pm
As long as an idea is not brought up out of spite or disrespect for someone else, all should be welcome for discussion.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:33 pm
Voyager wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:16 pm

As long as an idea is not brought up out of spite or disrespect for someone else, all should be welcome for discussion.
Well it’s clear not all of us see it that way.
For Emperor and Empire!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly? I don't want a Godzilla multiverse.. at all. It just feels like it wouldn't go anywhere beyond "HEY LOOK! YOU GUYS WANNA SEE THIS GODZILLA TAKE ON THAT GODZILLA!?".. And that's literally where the novelty ends. Beyond maybe the idea of them taking on some other threat but that's the route every multiverse story seems to go. They're just nothing to me that says it would be a good idea beyond "Godzilla A meets Godzilla B", but like Ultra said, you could just have more than one Godzilla exist in the same continuity. This franchise just isn't one that NEEDS to take the multiverse route. And if i wanna see more than one existing version of Godzilla duke it out? I'll just either write a K.W.C story about it or play one of the Atari video games.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SharkLord
Yojimbo

Post by SharkLord »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:51 pm
SharkLord wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:41 pm Godzilla fights another Godzilla. Not like a doppelganger or a clone like MechaG or SpaceG, just Godzilla vs. Godzilla. Godzilla would win, of course, but I think it would be fun to see.
What better way to do that than going full multiverse?
Eeeeh, I was more imagining Godzilla finding another one of his kind in his own universe and they fight. I mean, Godzilla vs Megaguirus did have the whole Dimension Tide thingy going on if you absolutely need some sort of dimension travel, since that allowed the Meganulons in and could probably be janked a bit for some dimension frickery as well, but I think a Godzilla mirror match would work perfectly fine without dimension travel

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Heading back to the possibilities of Toho messing with Godzilla's appearance a little: Concept art for the Polygon Trilogy had Godzilla concept art that gave him horns, Varan-like fins on the side of his face, lower jaw spikes, and even straight up gave him ape hair.

I'd imagine Toho would actually be okay with this, considering I haven't found anything saying they were thrown out because Toho said no, so...

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Those designs near GINO-level desecration.