Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2001/GMK)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2001/GMK)

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LegendZilla wrote:Sad to say, this Godzilla is simply not for me. They turned him into a skreeonking deadite. My ideal Godzilla in terms of characterization is he Heisei one, being a chaotic neutral force of nature yet capable of turning into an anti-hero given the right circumstances.
Um, what does "deadite" mean?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Sad to say, this Godzilla is simply not for me. They turned him into a skreeonking deadite. My ideal Godzilla in terms of characterization is he Heisei one, being a chaotic neutral force of nature yet capable of turning into an anti-hero given the right circumstances.
Watch The Evil Dead movies then you’ll get my reference.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

LegendZilla wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Aw man you gave me a mission, guess I'll watch them to get 100% completion.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Um, what does "deadite" mean?
Aw man you gave me a mission, guess I'll watch them to get 100% completion.
I mean, they're pretty great movies, and different enough from one another that they're easy to watch in rapid succession without getting burned out.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Aw man you gave me a mission, guess I'll watch them to get 100% completion.
I mean, they're pretty great movies, and different enough from one another that they're easy to watch in rapid succession without getting burned out.
Oh yeah I've got no problem watching them. All I've really seen from them is that scene where the guy starts laughing like a maniac as everything in the room begins coming to life. I *think* that's where it's from.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Aw man you gave me a mission, guess I'll watch them to get 100% completion.
Oh yeah I've got no problem watching them. All I've really seen from them is that scene where the guy starts laughing like a maniac as everything in the room begins coming to life. I *think* that's where it's from.
Yeah, that's from Evil Dead II. Love that scene! That's probably my favorite movie of the three. Well, toss up between the first and second, I guess, but for very different reasons.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Personality-wise, this is my favourite Godzilla of the Millennium era.
I dunno, his viciousness, power and sheer presence gives probably the best "God of Vengeance" vibe since the 1954 Godzilla.
All in all, surely in my Top 5 Godzilla's.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

This is a really good take on Godzilla. A cross between him being a vengeful God and a ruthless destroyer. It's odd seeing him with his healing powers being nerfed, but this movie does everything so well, that I can accept that. The whole movie being about Japan paying the price the atrocities the IJA committed during WW2 is a really good theme and a nice departure from many Godzilla movies, notably Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. You actually don't see that issue get talked about as much like you do with the Holocaust. This really mixes in Japanese legends and modernism quite well.

It is odd to see King Ghidorah being portrayed as good guy, but it works quite well. Having Baragon in the movie was nice, even if Godzilla did curb stomp him with ease. And Mothra being portrayed as a guarding made a lot of sense as well.

The SFX and music are quite well done and the Godzilla suit is quite good. It's actually my favorite of the 2000's.

I consider this one of my personal favs.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

My personal favorite Godzilla...

And that's all I have to say.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Godzillian wrote:GMK Godzilla isn't really a bad guy when you take a hard look at its motivations
Yeah, the atrocities committed by Japan during WWII were atrocious and they still try so hard to pretend it never happened.
It’s no wonder the spirits that possessed Godzilla did what they did.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

GMK Godzilla was kind of a victim himself, if you think about it. All he was was an undead flesh vehicle that the vengeful souls of WWII possessed and used to teach modern Japan a hard lesson.

#BotM

Crocartes
Yojimbo

Post by Crocartes »

Godzilla165 wrote:GMK Godzilla was kind of a victim himself, if you think about it. All he was was an undead flesh vehicle that the vengeful souls of WWII possessed and used to teach modern Japan a hard lesson.
Yes. It's actually pretty cool to think about it this way, because it then becomes that the Guardian monsters are pretty much protecting modern Japan from it's past. Not to try and sound too deep, but that's a very interesting concept for something.

This is definitely my favorite of the Godzilla movies. I grew up renting the millenium series from the movie rental place, so I was most exposed to those, and this is far and out my favorite Godzilla. He looks great (Even the potbelly lol) and just outright evil, which worked quite well for the film and was a nice departure from neutral force/savior. I also really loved the sheer power that this Godzilla conveyed. A lot of the movies I'd been watching around the same time (Heisei stuff and Millenium stuff) had monsters giving Godzilla quite a thrashing. But watching this guy do what he did to Baragon was honestly kind of terrifying. I liked that he even seemed to be able to pay attention directly to individual people, which adds an extra element of "Holy cow" to the character.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

GMK Goji is easily my favorite Millenium Godzilla and one of my favorite Godzilla’s period. From design to characterization and meaning, it’s all amazing.

I associate the Millenium Goji roars with GMK the most. They’re altered Showa roars, so it fits pretty damn well.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Orange Kitten Bob
Yojimbo

Post by Orange Kitten Bob »

An utter disaster that achieves the dubious distinction of making GINO look like a well done Godzilla movie. Godzilla is not a demon. He is a force of nature manifested as a radioactive mutant dinosaur. A negative number out of ten.
Last edited by Orange Kitten Bob on Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Wow. Now there's a hot take if I've ever heard one. I think GMK is ridiculously overrated, but so bad it makes GINO look good?

WHU-AAAAAT?!?!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla can be anything, including a demon.

Godzilla and the souls of the dead are both forgotten by Japan. The young people in the light house talk about Godzilla as if he were a cute animal, knowing nothing of the terror their elders felt as Godzilla turned Tokyo into a ruin. The woman in the market thought Godzilla was a myth. Like those angry spirits, Godzilla had been forgotten, and made an appropriate tool for teaching the present generation a lesson.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I like the concept that Godzilla is the literal manifestation of Japan’s horrific past, and that the “good” monsters that we’re rooting for are shielding the people of Japan from their past. It’s also good the guardians fail, otherwise I’d get some pretty bad messages from their victory.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Godzillian wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:55 am GMK Godzilla isn't really a bad guy when you take a hard look at its motivations
THIS.^
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

GMK Godzilla is clearly the bad guy in the movie, but he is only the problem because of Japan's refusal to admit to its history of war crimes and brutality and them coming to surface in the worst way. Which I felt was communicated well in the film itself.

As for the character, I love him. Probably the closest a Godzilla came since 54' to capturing the same pure terror the creature originally was meant to invoke. While the evil spirit angle is...different, it fits with the theme of the Millennium films desire for experimentation and as a one off can live with.

My only real complaint is the pot belly. Which at times can be somewhat distracting, but overall find this to be a beauty of an incarnation.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

One of the best Godzillas, for sure. The design, the suit, its overall demeanor, just perfect.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.