Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2001/GMK)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2001/GMK)

Post by Godzillasaurus »

Dillyzilla the Kaiju wrote:This is my favorite Godzilla design! Although, the only real problem I have are the feet. And no, I dont mean how big they are. I mean the fact that at the bottom of them they look like pads. I do like how they try to hide them through out the film though. Every thing else looks pretty damn realistic!
Most animals have pad-like feet. Crocodiles have soft soles on their feet, so why is it such a bad thing that Godzilla has them?

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Godzillaman wrote:
Dillyzilla the Kaiju wrote:This is my favorite Godzilla design! Although, the only real problem I have are the feet. And no, I dont mean how big they are. I mean the fact that at the bottom of them they look like pads. I do like how they try to hide them through out the film though. Every thing else looks pretty damn realistic!
Most animals have pad-like feet. Crocodiles have soft soles on their feet, so why is it such a bad thing that Godzilla has them?
Pfft! No, not those kinds of pads! I mean like at the bottom of a shoe like pads. :lol:
^This post in sexually offensive.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

I never had issue enough with the feet to take away from the movies. The good thing is they rarely focus too much time on the feet, like in this one.
"A monster can live forever"

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

SpaceG92 wrote: Seeing him with eyes on the other hand, makes him a lot scarier to me...*shutters*
Wow that is scary, it would've make the design even better.
Yooo 8-)

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

JGAR4Entertainment wrote:
SpaceG92 wrote: Seeing him with eyes on the other hand, makes him a lot scarier to me...*shutters*
Wow that is scary, it would've make the design even better.
Eh, the blank white eyes are one of the best things about the suit. And sure with thoughs pupils make it look creepier but it also makes it look kind of goofy. :|

Tahunie
Ronin

Post by Tahunie »

Love the look of the eyes when he is about to do something after he looks at the surrounding forces. :huge:

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

This is my favorite of the Millennium suits. I love the Millennium Goji's design (especially Tokyo SOS version, I think that design was really distinctive with the huge scar), but GMK Goji was so much better executed than any of the others. Imagine how much better the other films could've been had their Godzilla's been as flexible and active as this one!

I also prefer GMK Goji with pupils. The blank eyes were a neat idea, but IMO it just looks...I dunno, cheesy. I'd prefer it if they gave him normal eyes.

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

^^^
Buy like I said before, having pupils like the Godzilla on the image SpaceG92 posted for the hole film will just look plain goofy.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Dillyzilla the Kaiju wrote:^^^
Buy like I said before, having pupils like the Godzilla on the image SpaceG92 posted for the hole film will just look plain goofy.
I disagree. I think having pupils like in SpaceG92's pic would make the suit look far LESS goofy, IMO. I never found the blank eyes creepy, just goofy.

EDIT: I should specify that I'm talking about the earlier version with the smaller pupils. The second one, with the ginormous pupils, DOES look way goofier than the blank eyes.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

SpaceG92 wrote: Image
"Lets ride a bicycle of horror, into your ass!" Comes to mind when he has pupils like that. Unnerving to say the least.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

daijinryuu775489
Samurai

Post by daijinryuu775489 »

Overall, I like the GMK design. It was a nice change of pace after having seen the millenium suit in the last two films, not to say that the millenium suit was lousy at all. The only issue I have with the design is the size of the feet. The heat ray and its charge-up are excellent.
"You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!"

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

This design reminds me of the more simple, semi-realistic,un-exaggerated looks of the Showa Godzillas - with something of a Heisei head. That said, this suit works perfectly fine for the mythical/down-to-earth film it's in - but, it's very odd to see it placed among the very Sci-Fi and Stylistic monsters that made up the Millennium series. I suppose that difference in look does make it stand out, however.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I like this suit, overall. The pot-belly may be a bit much in some shots, and sometimes even the arms just seem awkward (when he's first seen walking through town and knocks over a crane for example). The plates, face, feet, tail, and the eyes are all pretty cool, though. Seeing that pic with the pupils is still cool, but doesn't fit his possessed role.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Talkback: SokogekiGoji (AKA, The GMK Godzilla)

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

Okay, please don't kill me for this-but I'm on the fence on how much I like (and by extension, DISlike this guy). On the pros side, I LOVE the look of this suit-that sneer, that snarl and that brutal poise he carries himself with-sure, he's not as svelte or crazy defined like Heisei in spite of his bulk, but he's got that bloodthirsty grin and a fuckton of strength for such a small Goji.

Furthermore, the idea of restless soldiers killed in one of the world's most brutal conflicts being his reason for being? Really nicely ties into the 1954 Atomic Bomb theme. And he is brutal.

But he comes across as kinda...dim.

Like, don't get me wrong, he's an AWESOME fighter-but not very bright. For example when he figured out that he could no longer fire his atomic breath right, what did he do? Keep trying to fire his atomic breath. And he kept trying to...and trying to, even though it clearly was hurting him (or at least very unpleasant seeing as chunks of him were coming out the screeonkin' hole in his throat). Like, I get he's the restless anger of countless souls-but does anger make someone completely stupid? Maybe impulsive, but not self-destructively ignorant like Sokko acted at the end of the movie.

That, and combined with his rather lackluster behavior otherwise...I'm not a huge fan of his behavior. Like KiryuGoji-Awesome design, awesome backstory, but mediocre (at best) execution. But please tell me your thoughts below!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Talkback: SokogekiGoji (AKA, The GMK Godzilla)

Post by Maritonic »

My thoughts: did this really require it's own topic as opposed to being in the Talkback:GMK thread or in the other Godzilla (GMK) discussion thread?
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Maritonic wrote:My thoughts: did this really require it's own topic as opposed to being in the Talkback:GMK thread or in the other Godzilla (GMK) discussion thread?
Fair enough; I just figured a thread dedicated to the Monster King himself wouldn't be unwelcome. I apologize.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:My thoughts: did this really require it's own topic as opposed to being in the Talkback:GMK thread or in the other Godzilla (GMK) discussion thread?
Fair enough; I just figured a thread dedicated to the Monster King himself wouldn't be unwelcome. I apologize.
We already have a thread dedicated to GMK Godzilla, that's what I was saying.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

GMK Godzilla isn't really a bad guy when you take a hard look at its motivations

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Maritonic wrote:
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote:
We already have a thread dedicated to GMK Godzilla, that's what I was saying.
Understood, thank you.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Sad to say, this Godzilla is simply not for me. They turned him into a fucking deadite. My ideal Godzilla in terms of characterization is he Heisei one, being a chaotic neutral force of nature yet capable of turning into an anti-hero given the right circumstances.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.