What made you huh?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Re: What made you huh?

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Lost a lot of followers on Twitter recently for some reason.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Huh, it took me this long to realize the parallel between Sonic's and Knuckles' species.

Sonic is a hedgehog that ranges throughout most of the world with the exception of Oceania.

Knuckles is an echidna, basically Australia's hedgehog.

Interesting.

Also Speed vs. Power when they were at first enemies.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

After work, I called my dad to pick me up. When I called him, however, the call was answered by someone who was NOT my dad. I had no idea who he was, but I heard rap music in the background and it sounded like the guy was moaning and crying softly. I was kind of scared because I started thinking that maybe a criminal broke into our house and heavily injured my dad, who was trying to talk to me, but was to injured to do so, all while the home invader was playing rap music in the background like he owns the place. Thankfully, that was not the case. I hung up, called my dad's number again and this time, my dad actually responded the way I expected him to. So, that means that he is fine and nothing bad happened. But who was that guy that answered my call? Why was he crying? Why didn't he respond to me when I asked him if he was my dad? Why did my dad's phone number lead me to that guy? Such an odd experience.

Also, while I'm here, I might as well tell another odd story. A few weeks ago, I was in my bedroom at night and watching Batman: Gotham by Gaslight for the first time. A few minutes into the movie, I heard loud music that sounds like the type of music you'd heard from an ice cream truck. I looked out the window and saw a car driving through my street. I was covered in LED lights and the ice-cream-truck-like music was being played in such a loud volume. The car drove pass my house and went around the area, eventually going through my street a second time. I have no idea where the driver was going or why his car has all those lights and playing that music so loudly at night, but it made me kind of nervous because maybe whoever that person is was up to no good that night. I don't know, maybe I was just a little paranoid. That's what happens when you see a lot of crime and attacks going on throughout the country, especially in my sate, California.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I met real life Asuka today at a store, working as a cashier. She had such a striking resemblance. It honestly did make me go ‘huh’.
For Emperor and Empire!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

How relatively similar both Heisei Gamera and Legendary Godzilla are in terms of goal and motive.

Ancient guardians whose goal is to keep balance only awakening again as a result of an ancient enemy of theirs they had history with (Gyaos for Gamera, MUTOs for Godzilla), both awakening as a result of pollution who if left unchecked would spell doom for all living life.

Even in one film, they seemingly go "rogue". Gamera becoming more destructive due his connection to humanity being lost, Godzilla seemingly turning on humanity when in reality he's searching for the source of Mechagodzilla.

Sometimes I honestly wonder if Legendary took some inspiration from the Heisei Gamera Trilogy because the two Legendary Godzilla films are so similar to the first two Heisei Gamera films.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Just seems more like fantasy tropes to me.

I see this exact thing brought up a lot but I think that's just an example please of kaiju fans being unable to look out of their little bubbles.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:38 pm Just seems more like fantasy tropes to me.

I see this exact thing brought up a lot but I think that's just an example please of kaiju fans being unable to look out of their little bubbles.
It's not even a novel idea in the Kaiju genre either. That shit was the original plot for Godzilla 1998.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Godzilla and his relationship with the Mutos are similar enough that I can't believe nobody involved in making '14 didn't have Heisei Gamera on the mind. The similarities are too apparent.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:48 pm Godzilla and his relationship with the Mutos are similar enough that I can't believe nobody involved in making '14 didn't have Heisei Gamera on the mind. The similarities are too apparent.
But again, hardcore Godzilla fans are naturally going to "word associate" one Japanese giant monster trope with another, forgetting these tropes are bigger than the movies they're obsessed with.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:56 am How relatively similar both Heisei Gamera and Legendary Godzilla are in terms of goal and motive.

Ancient guardians whose goal is to keep balance only awakening again as a result of an ancient enemy of theirs they had history with (Gyaos for Gamera, MUTOs for Godzilla), both awakening as a result of pollution who if left unchecked would spell doom for all living life.

Even in one film, they seemingly go "rogue". Gamera becoming more destructive due his connection to humanity being lost, Godzilla seemingly turning on humanity when in reality he's searching for the source of Mechagodzilla.
And in their second films they team up with the human race to take down an alien bent on terraforming the planet!
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

And in their third movies, they fight a monster bonded to an orphan girl. The 'coincidences' keep piling up!

Seriously, I'll stay on the fence here. There's no reason that the popular, highly regarded Gamera trilogy couldn't have been an influence on Legendary Godzilla, but there's no reason it had to be, either.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Spuro wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:17 pmAnd in their second films they team up with the human race to take down an alien bent on terraforming the planet!
Which said extraterrestrial kaijus have minions to their disposal (Legion Symbiotes for Legion, Titans for King Ghidorah), both titular monsters also nearly die but are eventually back into action with the thanks of humanity (Spiritual faith for Gamera, Serizawa sacrificing his life to empower Godzilla with a nuke).

-Gyaos and Skullcrawlers are basically the same, ravenous predators with insatiable appetites devouring everything anything alive who if left unchecked would devour all life but thankfully they are, Gamera for Gyaos, Kong for Skullcrawlers.
-The first films had the titular monsters defeating their foe by beheading them (Gamera blowing up Super Gyaos' head with a large plasma fireball, Godzilla breathing his atomic breath down the MUTOs throat before being decapitated).
-First movies also has the military believing the titular monsters being the greater threat trying to destroy them before realizing the antagonistic monsters are the real threat letting them fight in a major urban center in the film's climactic battle. In both cases, the heroic monster tries to stop his enemy from reproducing from its nest in the heart of the city.
-Gamera 3 and Godzilla vs. Kong explores more into the origins of the monsters.
-Gamera 3 and Godzilla vs. Kong both has a human character wanting revenge on the titular monsters. Ayana for Gamera, Ren Serizawa for Godzilla.

How can this all be a coincidence?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:07 am, edited 6 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

As a hardcore genre fan, a lot of these connections leapt out at me, too - at least the ones in G'14. But a lot of these similarities, as has already been pointed out, are tropes within the broader sci-fi genre, common aspects ongoing series are structured, or just classic storytelling conventions. Plug all that into the human tendency for apophenia, and all of a sudden we're seeing OMG TWINS(!!!) when really it's just... OMG two members of the same cinematic species.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

"Gamera" and "Godzilla" also both start with the letter G, end with the letter A, and have 3 syllables!

This rabbit hole has no end, I tell you!
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It is kind of amusing how many kaiju names the above could be applied to. Gojira/Godzilla, Gamera, Ghidorah, Gezora, Gubira, Guilala, Gomora, Gabara, Gaira, and no doubt a lot more.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Apparently there's some people who believe that if you don't beat a game on the original console it came out on, it doesn't count...

... Huh?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Gigantis wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:18 am Apparently there's some people who believe that if you don't beat a game on the original console it came out on, it doesn't count...

... Huh?
Ugh. I hate those people. I do play a lot of classic video games on the original consoles, such as Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo 64 and Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Genesis, but not everyone has every video game console. If people want to play, let's say, Final Fantasy VII on the Xbox One, then that's their decision and that's fine. These gaming elitists are pricks and should not be taken seriously.

"That makes two of us."

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I just found out Velma Dinkley is getting her own spin-off...That also happens to be R-rated.

What the skreeonk? :freak:

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Been taking a break from coffee/caffeine these last few days being off of work. Haven't made a pot of coffee since Friday morning and felt relatively fine until Sunday evening. Over the past two days, I've had a pretty bad depression set in and I never thought the reason being a symptom of caffeine withdraw, which is a legit thing. Never knew depression was actually a symptom of caffeine withdraw until just now and upon just making a pot and drinking a cup... I feel better almost instantly.

Not exactly the best way to handle it, but man do I feel better.

I'm not a caffeine junky or anything and only drink a small pot of coffee a day usually, spread out throughout my 10 hour work day. Or hell, maybe I am? I don't get wired or jittery from it. Sodas and the like are usually regulated to when I go out or am with people. Otherwise, I just drink various juices, water and milk. But it seems my body got so used to that coffee that dropping it two days ago when off work really put me through the ropes. NEVER had that happen before.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Tue May 24, 2022 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Just thought of who'd be the Justice League equivalent to kaijus.

Aquaman: Gamera
Bizarro/Zod: SpaceGodzilla
Cyborg: Mechagodzilla
Batman: King Kong
Doomsday: Destoroyah
Flash: Rodan
Krypto: Anguirus
Superman: Godzilla
Wonder Woman: Mothra
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue May 24, 2022 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.