What blew your mind today?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
o.supreme
Futurian

Re: What blew your mind today?

Post by o.supreme »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:03 am Oh, your perception of time absolutely speeds up as you get older. I'm 32, and years are starting to feel like seasons to me. Everything just blows right by. I still think of myself as being young, practically a kid, but I'm not far from being old enough to have grandkids. :lol: :cry:
I AM very much old enough to be a Grandfather. I am not and None of my immediate friends are either yet, but that scary time is coming I'm sure. The broader understanding of a Generation is about 20 years give or take a couple of years. However, in my fathers family, it has skewed a bit older particularly in the last century. My Paternal Grandfather was born in 1926, and had my father at age 20 (1946), but my father was nearly 30 when I was born in 1976, and I WAS 30, when my son was born in 2006. So I still have a ways to go. Personally I'd rather my kids not have any kids of their own, but I'm not forcing my opinion on them, just trying to raise them to make wise decisions in life. I'm in no rush to be a Grandparent, that is for sure.
Last edited by o.supreme on Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Years are speeding up for me too, even though by TK standards I’m practically a toddler (18).
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Familiarity is presumably to blame. When you're a kid, everything is new and feels more eventful. After a while, you get used to the world and that 'same old routine' feeling creeps in.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:02 am Familiarity is presumably to blame. When you're a kid, everything is new and feels more eventful. After a while, you get used to the world and that 'same old routine' feeling creeps in.
How we perceive time is based on how much time we’ve experienced in our lives.

When we turn 1 year old, those 365 days that we just lived through are all of time as we know it.

When we turn 2 years old a year later, our perception of all time as we know it has just DOUBLED in the span of only a year. Likewise, we go from thinking of a year as being all of time as we know it, to thinking of a year as being half of all time as we know it. That halving of our perception of a year’s length occurs in just our second year of life on this Earth.

With each passing year that we experience, the span of a year becomes less and less of our total lived time up to that point. That’s why each year seems to go by even more quickly than the year before.

This is proportionately true for all units of time. Hours feel longer to kids than they do to adults, even though an hour is 60 minutes no matter how old you are. The same is true for minutes, days, weeks, months, even decades.

To grow from a 10-year-old into a 20-year-old is to DOUBLE what was then all of life as we knew it when we were 10.

To grow from a 20-year-old into a 30-year-old is to increase by just 50% what was then all of life as we knew it when we were 20.

To grow from a 30-year-old into a 40-year-old is to increase by just 33.3% what was then all of life as we knew it when we were 30.

To grow from a 40-year-old into a 50-year-old is to increase by just 25% what was then all of life as we knew it when we were 40.

Our perception of how much time it is to live for a decade shrinks with each decade of life that we experience, even though a decade remains a span of exactly 10 years every time we live through one.

Time doesn’t move faster or get shorter as we get older. As the total of amount of time that we’ve lived increases, our perception of the passage of time just gets naturally, proportionately shorter relative to the amount of time we’ve already experienced.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Found out that Columbian Mammoths were actually an interbred hybrid species between Woolly Mammoths and another descendant of the Steppe Mammoth.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Not sure if this should've gone in the "what gets on your nerves thread", but it's sort of disturbing realizing how I've gotten use to pretty much all of Toho's filmography being available on Amazon Prime and/or Netflix in Japan, only to talk to people on the forums and college, only to realize that said movies are actually still incredibly obscure in the United States and not available on streaming platforms. To me, Mothra 1961 isn't some obscure movie, it's just a few clicks away. Crazy thinking about how the late 2000's had DVDs of a lot of excellent films and that these films haven't been properly released and/or easily available in the west.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Finding out that Disgaea 7 was announced last August and will be released in Japan on the 23rd of this month and I never knew about it until today.
Last edited by CrimsonBloodX on Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft