Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

Post by JAGzilla »

Chances are they did follow up on the headlines, but it got cut out by the blindfolded lumberjack that chopped the movie apart in editing.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Comments like that are baffling. Everything we’ve heard about the writer’s room version of the film was that it was incredibly messier and far less streamlined.

This complaint irks me to the level of “omg they shouldn’t have killed Brody’s father, it ruined the whole film!!!” Or “they should have kept Varan and Anguirus in GMK, the film would have been so much better.” All of these complaints strike me as similarly empty and not particularly well thought out but they’re recycled again and again to an annoying level

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm admittedly speculating, but I would hope that Ren Serizawa had some sort of storyline planned at some point, otherwise why even give him that name and hire a popular actor to play him? If he was always intended to be a random goon with a significant name, that would be baffling.

The rivalry between Godzilla and Kong was also very poorly established. Yes, I'm aware that sense can be made of it if you study the previous movies and make a bunch of inferences, but the Monsterverse has a very strong 'tell, don't show' mentality. A lot of relevant context was obviously trimmed from the final film, and I was left confused and dissatisfied during my initial watch as a result.

And I'm sure there are plenty of other things I could list that were sacrificed for 'streamlining', but my memory is hazy a year later and this isn't the appropriate thread for a long discussion on this, anyway. Point is, my prior post was actually based on something other than mindless Monsterverse hate.

EDIT: And I should clarify that my previous post was a joke, although I obviously meant the part about the editing. I don't actually believe that we lost a Mothra scene or whatever.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

From what I understand from someone that was inside the writer’s room….there was never much more to the Ren stuff which is probably why they cut it down even more.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

king_ghidorah wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:47 am From what I understand from someone that was inside the writer’s room….there was never much more to the Ren stuff which is probably why they cut it down even more.
Which shifts blame to the writer instead of the editor, then. Whatever, it was poor execution regardless.

I'm gonna go ahead and bow out of this, though. It's not a discussion I'm actually interested in having at the moment, and again, wrong thread.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

For people who have issues with this movie…can you elaborate a little more? Like one or 2 specific issues you have with it.

I guess I just don’t understand the criticism this movie gets so I’d like to know what it could be that I’m missing?

GiveBackTheSun22
Ronin

Post by GiveBackTheSun22 »

Titanus_Rodan wrote:
> For people who have issues with this movie…can you elaborate a little more?
> Like one or 2 specific issues you have with it.
>
> I guess I just don’t understand the criticism this movie gets so I’d like
> to know what it could be that I’m missing?

I dislike it because of how it handles the topic of nuclear warheads and I dislike the writing. I have other issues with it but those are the two that come to mind. I appreciate the portrayal of the kaiju and their dynamics though.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:28 am For people who have issues with this movie…can you elaborate a little more? Like one or 2 specific issues you have with it.

I guess I just don’t understand the criticism this movie gets so I’d like to know what it could be that I’m missing?

My thoughts from a few days ago:

“ I love this movie on paper more than I do in reality.

The sum of its parts is less than what it should be.

Great monster designs. Check. But we rarely see them fully presented on screen.

Amazing soundtrack. Check. But it’s presentation is often subdued in the film. Beaten down by a bombastic audio track. Sound effects, roars, etc. make the music sound faint, and soft, when it should be operatic and John Williams-esque in nature.

More kaiju action. Check. But the cuts are fast…the fights are obscured in weather and destruction effects and there aren’t a lot of tension or character building moments. Every happens like it was meant to be featured in a trailer, but there’s little build up. G and KG’s fight is just highlight after highlight. There’s not connective cohesion we just smash cut in to see something great and then it’s done. Which makes the whole thing feel very unsatisfying and empty in my mind.

The human cast. They’re fine. I think this movie has some of the worst humor of the bunch but it’s not a show stopper. Serizawa is great but he’s not given enough to do.”

In short, this film just doesn’t hit as hard as I want it to. It also doesn’t help that annoying fanboys/girls like Maddison Russell on Twitter are essentially bullies when it comes to anyone lobbing criticisms against this film. It’s become very hard for me personally to disconnect the people who love this film with the film itself

Added in 7 minutes 24 seconds:
GiveBackTheSun22 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:40 am Titanus_Rodan wrote:
>

I dislike it because of how it handles the topic of nuclear warheads and I dislike the writing. I have other issues with it but those are the two that come to mind. I appreciate the portrayal of the kaiju and their dynamics though.
See the nuclear stuff doesn’t bother me.

First. Castle Bravo in the MV signifies humanities first substantive interaction with Godzilla. So, that’s not really disrespectful in my opinion when you look at it in universe.

Secondly. Nuclear weapons being used in a more ….aggressive means in this film I think is actually a great touch because it represents the west’s POV of nuclear weapons in that they’re weapons of last resorts….meant to stave off worse threats. You can debate right or wrong with that but seeing the mirror effect of a country that dropped the bomb vs had the bomb dropped on them seems right to me.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

GiveBackTheSun22 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:40 am Titanus_Rodan wrote:
>

But what specifically about the writing though?

GiveBackTheSun22
Ronin

I didn't find it very compelling and expected a better story considering the budget and how large the production was. The dialogue was very hammy and a downgrade from the previous films. It's more understandable with a smaller budget and production for the story to be less refined but with a budget of $170000000, it's disappointing to say the least.

Also, the message felt half-assed like it didn't know what it wanted to say. "Their natural radiation is repairing the environment!" I thought that ending felt a little tacky and tone deaf but maybe that's just me. The main kaiju's personality and some of the spiritual/religious allusions in the imagery are the things I did enjoy about this film.
Last edited by GiveBackTheSun22 on Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Gotta laugh at the dingbats who still believe this movie was Razzie material :roll:

Proves that the Razzies are total bullshit. Say what you want about the movie, but it wasn't THAT goddamn dreadful JFC.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

The titans acting as filters for bad nuclear energy….and then releasing some sort of unknown “good” energy seems like a non issue to me. Very Miyazakian in my mind but a lot of G Fans are up in arms about that aspect. Very odd to me…

GiveBackTheSun22
Ronin

I don't believe it was razzie material. I just think it didn't live up to it's full potential as a "big budget Hollywood film." I wish they would have stuck with the tone of 2014 and focused on telling a better story with the humans while giving us plenty of kaiju fights that weren't edited like a Micheal Bay film.

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

I beg to differ. I think it hit everything perfectly. I love this movie. I think it perfectly encapsulates all four monsters in an American film. And sure Mothra and Rodan were kinda sidelined, but they definitely had great moments

Godzilla fans mystify me. They have issues with KotM, Ghidorah’s design in the film (which I think is damn near perfect), and the fact that Godzilla has been displayed being partially quadrupedal in these films yet have no issues with lots of the stupid shit in the later Showa movies (Godzilla dancing, Godzilla behaving like a pro wrestler, Jet Jaguar, etc).

As for the razzie thing, it’s just stupid. Meanwhile Rise of Skywalker somehow never was even considered for Razzies despite completely raping the Star Wars franchise and blatantly giving the original trilogy the middle finger (completely besides the fact that it’s a horrible movie by itself). I just don’t get the massive hate boner for KotM at all.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah I kind of wish KOTM kind of held on moments a bit longer like Skull Island, just let it breathe a bit.
But certainly not Razzie material. Hell no had a lot of fun watching it. Overally happy with the Monsterverse so far.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:40 am Yeah I kind of wish KOTM kind of held on moments a bit longer like Skull Island, just let it breathe a bit.
But certainly not Razzie material. Hell no had a lot of fun watching it. Overally happy with the Monsterverse so far.
Literally my main and perhaps only problem with the film is that the action isn't the best....but now, post GvK, I can kind of appreciate what it did bring to the table.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

The first time I watch KOTM, I felt a little conflicted with the movie. We get a lot more screen time for the monsters and fight scenes we got was fantastic,but I would be lying if I were to say the fight are perfect, for one there were so many unnecessary cuts from within the fight, like we’re 2 seconds in the fight and there’s already cut to the human, give the fight scenes more time breath first before cutting through the humans.
For second pretty much related to the first point I made is some of the fight scenes are way to short, like Mothra vs Rodan, or more infamy King Ghidorah vs Rodan, A rematch we’ve been waiting since decades and we get 10 seconds of the fight, i’m pretty disappointed with that choice they went by.
I found out recently but I Think now that the filters for this movie really didn’t help this movie at all. A video made by Landry Miller’s which I link here https://youtu.be/7bcMnivibKI
And from what you can tell it makes the movie look for better than what we were provided. As for the story it’s OK enough, The writing wasn’t the best but some of us don’t really care full story that much Though I do wish that we get more of Alan Jonah, But I do agree that the comedy isn’t great like at all, like in fact Ghidorah name joke, that was pretty bad, why not have to pronounce nations with (guh·daw·ruh) and (gree·ruh) why not use that. I think my favorite scene is Dr Ishiro Serizawa death, I really do find it very heartwarming that he calls gojira an old friend, I really do think that was a very nice touch. As for the Monsters, I think we can all agree they were the best part of this film you can definitely see what they’re thinking by looking at their face’s. Godzilla, still great as he was in 2014 but the design is much more better from last time, Personality wise I think he was much more fleshed out. Rodan design was phenomenal doing something a little more different but also respecting the source material, personality wise he’s cocky mood absolutely fits him, mothra design was the biggest change that was made, few people got angry about it, personally I think it’s one of the best design choices they can make, just because it’s not a reuse Showa design which color changes in minor tweaks that doesn’t mean it’s bad, personality wise it’s still the same she’s still very loving of both Kaiju and People alike. This might be an unpopular opinion but is the best King Ghidorah incarnation we have ever gotten, design wise it’s perfect both looks stunning and terrifying at the same time. Personality wise it’s a brilliant idea for each head do you have a different personality, it just adds to the flavor.
And what’s best they finally give a reason of why he has king in front of his name other than it just sound cool. Because he was an actual “KING” after he defeated Godzilla. And there’s an actual rivalry KG and Godzilla. I just really wish that we could’ve seen a little more of the monsters we were gotten, even the new ones should’ve gotten like a another minute of screen time. Soundtrack is fantastic what can I say it’s great, Bear did a perfect job re-creating the old soundtrack. But that’s what all I have to say about this film if you’re in it for the monsters you’ll have a great time if you’re in it with the story not so much

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:35 am Godzilla fans mystify me. They have issues with KotM, Ghidorah’s design in the film (which I think is damn near perfect), and the fact that Godzilla has been displayed being partially quadrupedal in these films yet have no issues with lots of the stupid poop in the later Showa movies (Godzilla dancing, Godzilla behaving like a pro wrestler, Jet Jaguar, etc).
I won't comment on controversy over Ghidorah's design, which is entirely subjective (I love it, myself), but Godzilla being quadrupedal in GvK is not really comparable to anything in the Showa series. It's all about context: by KKvG, the Showa films were light-hearted and silly in a lot of ways, so Godzilla's goofy behavior fits in. Continuity was also a non-issue back then, so no one was concerned whether a ludicrous feat like flying or magnetism would contradict other films. But a modern cinematic universe like the Monsterverse is centered on continuity: the whole point is that we're explicitly following the same characters through a clearly defined timeline. The proud, noble king from G14 and KOTM suddenly becoming a rabid lizard crawling around on all fours with no good explanation given was, to me, glaringly out of place.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:23 pm
Handsome Shrek wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:35 am Godzilla fans mystify me. They have issues with KotM, Ghidorah’s design in the film (which I think is damn near perfect), and the fact that Godzilla has been displayed being partially quadrupedal in these films yet have no issues with lots of the stupid poop in the later Showa movies (Godzilla dancing, Godzilla behaving like a pro wrestler, Jet Jaguar, etc).
I won't comment on controversy over Ghidorah's design, which is entirely subjective (I love it, myself), but Godzilla being quadrupedal in GvK is not really comparable to anything in the Showa series. It's all about context: by KKvG, the Showa films were light-hearted and silly in a lot of ways, so Godzilla's goofy behavior fits in. Continuity was also a non-issue back then, so no one was concerned whether a ludicrous feat like flying or magnetism would contradict other films. But a modern cinematic universe like the Monsterverse is centered on continuity: the whole point is that we're explicitly following the same characters through a clearly defined timeline. The proud, noble king from G14 and KOTM suddenly becoming a rabid lizard crawling around on all fours with no good explanation given was, to me, glaringly out of place.
Godzilla was briefly quadrupedal in KOTM when he's playing with Ghidorah's head at the end so it was in continuity by GvK. I don't know why people who complain about it in GvK keep forgetting about it in KOTM.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I don’t like the animalistic Godzilla all that much in either film. Eating KG AND crawling around on all fours both seem….off to me