Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

Post by darthzilla99 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:53 am I don’t like the animalistic Godzilla all that much in either film. Eating KG AND crawling around on all fours both seem….off to me
Nothing wrong with having this opinion. It's just kind of a pet peeve of mine that people act surprised and criticize GVK for having Godzilla on all fours when it was established in KOTM first. Now if you want to criticize the monsterverse in general for having Godzilla on all fours, that's fine.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:35 am Godzilla fans mystify me. They have issues with KotM, Ghidorah’s design in the film (which I think is damn near perfect), and the fact that Godzilla has been displayed being partially quadrupedal in these films yet have no issues with lots of the stupid shit in the later Showa movies (Godzilla dancing, Godzilla behaving like a pro wrestler, Jet Jaguar, etc).
Becuase the 70s Godzilla films were made for extremely little kids during a time where cinema was collapsing in Japan. KOTM was made in America in the 2010s for general audiences for millions upon millions of dollars.

Maybe some people just like to hold things to different standards because it's ridiculous not to.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I never noticed or completely forgot that Godzilla was on all fours at any point in KOTM. I've only seen it twice, most recently almost two years ago. I'll have to watch for that on the next viewing. Doesn't change my opinion, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Apparently, Typhon and his awakening video were finalized but never added!
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Apparently that's fake.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:14 pm Apparently, Typhon and his awakening video were finalized but never added!
Annnnnd it’s gone :-x

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Honestly I'm glad its fake because that isn't how I would imagine Typhon looking like at all. I don’t think it fits with something that is supposed to be the Monsterverse’s take on the most feared monster in all of Greek mythology.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Ninja'd. Here's the OG video, though:

Added in 1 minute 55 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:35 pm Honestly I'm glad its fake because that isn't how I would imagine Typhon looking like at all. I don’t think it fits with something that is supposed to be the Monsterverse’s take on the most feared monster in all of Greek mythology.
Plus, I doubt the creature designers would let a Titan design that looks so much like Methuselah get by in the same film.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:38 pmPlus, I doubt the creature designers would let a Titan design that looks so much like Methuselah get by in the same film.
Much would prefer Typhon being depicted as this giant starfish as fanart has portrayed him.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:39 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:38 pmPlus, I doubt the creature designers would let a Titan design that looks so much like Methuselah get by in the same film.
Much would prefer Typhon being depicted as this giant starfish as fanart has portrayed him.
Me, too. If you think about it, Typhon being a starfish could actually connect him back to the mythological "father of monsters" title since starfish are fairly primitive animals.

LindenHS
Monarch Researcher

Post by LindenHS »

I helped bust that fake leak.
Brought it to KDM’s attention who then asked the actual creature designers for KOTM and someone else sent me the original vid so we got in contact with the creator of the animation.
Some people seem to be salty about it being busted.

The original poster of that creature commented on my post about it as well.
This is the… third fake Typhon leak I busted this past 3 months? This is what I do now, that and keep to myself.

Been ages since I got on here even…

https://old.reddit.com/r/Monsterverse/c ... _animator/

Added in 1 minute 46 seconds:
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:05 pm
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:39 pm
Me, too. If you think about it, Typhon being a starfish could actually connect him back to the mythological "father of monsters" title since starfish are fairly primitive animals.
Literally the same reasons I feel it works! Also according to Greg Keyes, Typhon was to be in the KOTM novel and is in no way dragon-like and his idea of Typhon was accepted so it is likely still canon… though he isn’t allowed to say what that design is.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

It maybe fake, but that youtube video is still pretty damn impressive. Whoever made it should be on ILM or Weta's payroll.

LindenHS
Monarch Researcher

Post by LindenHS »

Leviarex wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:34 pm It maybe fake, but that youtube video is still pretty damn impressive. Whoever made it should be on ILM or Weta's payroll.
They actually are on ILM’s payroll, was talking to them.
Absolutely! That level of animation is insane, the kicker is it’s a personal project… that’s the level of what they can do casual then imagine a big budget??

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Figured I’d move the GKOTM box office discussion here since it’s been a topic of debate the last few days.

I’m linking to a very helpful box office explanation video below. It’s honestly one of the best I’ve seen on the topic.

I know Grace can be divisive, but even her critics seem to appreciate this box office breakdown of the Batman. If you watch it, it becomes pretty apparent just how much GKOTM underperformed in both perception and dollars.

If you like the film, great! So do I!

But I’m hoping that this video can kind of take the emotion out of things and just boil the discussion to facts.

Again, it’s performance is largely irrelevant these days as GvK kind of hit the reset on the perception of the franchise. But for the sake of historical context of the franchise as a whole I believe the video below is worth watching.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzz4tEE3kyE

Jacaijuzilladeava
Ronin

Post by Jacaijuzilladeava »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:32 am
Handsome Shrek wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:35 am Godzilla fans mystify me. They have issues with KotM, Ghidorah’s design in the film (which I think is damn near perfect), and the fact that Godzilla has been displayed being partially quadrupedal in these films yet have no issues with lots of the stupid poop in the later Showa movies (Godzilla dancing, Godzilla behaving like a pro wrestler, Jet Jaguar, etc).
Becuase the 70s Godzilla films were made for extremely little kids during a time where cinema was collapsing in Japan. KOTM was made in America in the 2010s for general audiences for millions upon millions of dollars.

Maybe some people just like to hold things to different standards because it's ridiculous not to.
Ah yes, the Showa era is for kids, the same era where it had Godzilla gushing out gallons upon gallons of blood when hit by Gigans saw blade, Hedorah turning people into skeletons and corpses with his mist or angurise having his jaws prayed open by MG, also gushing out blood, or how about the entirety of Terror of Machagodzilla? Yeah sure, totally kid-friendly -_-

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Standards on violence and what is permissible for children varies by culture and time period. Nothing in the Godzilla films during the mid-to-late Showa era seem that out of place if you compare it to comics and other stuff at the time. The Godzilla series during the late Showa era was more explicitly directed at children, but to varying degrees based on entry and crew behind it. Something being aimed at children also isn't a direct indicator of quality.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jacaijuzilladeava
Ronin

Post by Jacaijuzilladeava »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:59 pm Standards on violence and what is permissible for children varies by culture and time period. Nothing in the Godzilla films during the mid-to-late Showa era seem that out of place if you compare it to comics and other stuff at the time. The Godzilla series during the late Showa era was more explicitly directed at children, but to varying degrees based on entry and crew behind it. Something being aimed at children also isn't a direct indicator of quality.
Eh, fair enough.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Jacaijuzilladeava wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:50 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:32 am
Handsome Shrek wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:35 am Godzilla fans mystify me. They have issues with KotM, Ghidorah’s design in the film (which I think is damn near perfect), and the fact that Godzilla has been displayed being partially quadrupedal in these films yet have no issues with lots of the stupid poop in the later Showa movies (Godzilla dancing, Godzilla behaving like a pro wrestler, Jet Jaguar, etc).

Ah yes, the Showa era is for kids, the same era where it had Godzilla gushing out gallons upon gallons of blood when hit by Gigans saw blade, Hedorah turning people into skeletons and corpses with his mist or angurise having his jaws prayed open by MG, also gushing out blood, or how about the entirety of Terror of Machagodzilla? Yeah sure, totally kid-friendly -_-
The 70s films (and Godzilla's Revenge) were all made for the Toho Champion Festival, a series of KIDDIE matinees that included new movies, cartoons and episodes of superhero shows. So yes, these films were ABSOLUTELY made for kids. Standards for violence in Japan are much different than America. Go watch some 70s Ultraman shows sometime.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I agree, generally… but I really don’t feel like ToMG is made for kids. That’s movie’s pretty dark.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Voyager wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:46 pm I agree, generally… but I really don’t feel like ToMG is made for kids. That’s movie’s pretty dark.
Have you seen some of the 70s Ultraman shows?

Yes, Terror of MG is pretty dark and violent, but this sort of thing was NOT unusual for Japanese kids entertainment of that era. At the end of the day, the movie was made for children. Honda's direction makes it a better and deeper movie, but it's still a kids film.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.