Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

They are officially working on the next Monster Hunter figure. I don't think that line is going anywhere for awhile.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gamera 99 came out in 2018, it has been enough time for a new version. If.you were going to sell the G99 it should have been done.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:47 am Gamera 99 came out in 2018, it has been enough time for a new version. If.you were going to sell the G99 it should have been done.
What? Why would any one believe that a newly sculpted Gamera (of all characters) would get released?
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Fermix wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:07 am
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:47 am Gamera 99 came out in 2018, it has been enough time for a new version. If.you were going to sell the G99 it should have been done.
What? Why would any one believe that a newly sculpted Gamera (of all characters) would get released?
ShadowGigan brought up the new figure lowering the resale value of the first Gamera 99.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:30 am
ShadowGigan brought up the new figure lowering the resale value of the first Gamera 99.
Bolding the part of your quote that I'm challenging. I have no doubt that the new version devalues the old, I'm asking why you think G99 owners had any reason to believe that a new version with better sculpting would be released.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Fermix wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:36 am

Bolding the part of your quote that I'm challenging. I have no doubt that the new version devalues the old, I'm asking why you think G99 owners had any reason to believe that a new version with better sculpting would be released.
I don't have any reason. Shadowgigan said the new version devalues the OG. I said if anyone wanted to see the OG version they should have done so by now.

You either keep a figure or you sell it, there's no need to be upset because a new figure has lowered the value on an old figure because either you can have sold it and made a profit or you were keeping the figure and it doesn't matter ifnthe price went down.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Thankfully it hasn’t taken a big hit so far. I think it would be fair to sell the old 99 to pick up the new one, no?

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:01 pm

I don't have any reason. Shadowgigan said the new version devalues the OG. I said if anyone wanted to see the OG version they should have done so by now.

You either keep a figure or you sell it, there's no need to be upset because a new figure has lowered the value on an old figure because either you can have sold it and made a profit or you were keeping the figure and it doesn't matter ifnthe price went down.
...or you can be upset that you purchased an inferior product when a better version that you had no reason to expect is announced. It's not just about resale

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

The hell is anybody expecting to get for the original SHMA Gamera '99? The thing is straight up ass. I'll be selling mine, even if I don't make back what I originally bought it for. I really don't care. I'll wait to see more in hand pictures of the new one, but this shouldn't even be an issue. Bad figures often get resculpts in this hobby. About damn time SHMA did it for such a subpar release.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Fermix wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:47 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:01 pm

...or you can be upset that you purchased an inferior product when a better version that you had no reason to expect is announced. It's not just about resale
Which is a different problem from what we were orginally taking about all together.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

It's not but okay

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Fermix wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:12 pm It's not but okay
Being upset about a figure is a different topic from what ShadowGigan said and what you quoted me on. I made a comment about resale value of a figure and then you brought up being upset at purchasing an inferior figure which is another topic which I never disagreed with.

When ever you buy a figure their is a small chance upgrades will come out. I've purchased RoTJ Luke Skywalker 8 tinea in the 6 inch scale and 4 of them were from the hasbro Black series.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

What's wrong with the '99 Monsterarts Gamera? I thought it would be an upgrade for the MMS one I have now which I was lucky enough to get with points. It seems to be the most common sort, it's even cheap on Amazon:

It actually works well enough for most things I do but I'd like a more flexible one. That's why I didn't get the newest MMS when I found out the arms didn't move at all.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:21 pm
Being upset about a figure is a different topic from what ShadowGigan said and what you quoted me on. I made a comment about resale value of a figure and then you brought up being upset at purchasing an inferior figure which is another topic which I never disagreed with.

When ever you buy a figure their is a small chance upgrades will come out. I've purchased RoTJ Luke Skywalker 8 tinea in the 6 inch scale and 4 of them were from the hasbro Black series.
I was explicitly talking about selling the figure in the context of getting the improved version. My worry was that this would devalue the OG figure and I wouldn't be able to cover my costs. I don't care what anyone says, that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It's not that big of a deal since the OG is still fetching decent prices, apparently. I do wonder how long that will last.

I think its perfectly fair for collectors to be against reissues and upgrades.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:54 pm

I was explicitly talking about selling the figure in the context of getting the improved version. My worry was that this would devalue the OG figure and I wouldn't be able to cover my costs. I don't care what anyone says, that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It's not that big of a deal since the OG is still fetching decent prices, apparently. I do wonder how long that will last.

Gamera might be the first to lower the cost of the orginal because he looks better but he might also only come with his fire arm.

Personally I'm just making my first g99 into flying mode.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:54 pm

You realize this sort of thing has been going on since the 90s with the really, REALLY bad Bandai Gigan sculpt? Hell, NECA is currently redoing an entire line of Predator figures. It's nothing new, especially with subpar releases. It's going to lose value. It's going to lose value REAL quick, but the OG SHMA Gamera '99 is hot garbage.
You are collecting the wrong line, my friend. You might even be in the wrong hobby. They been doing reissues and upgrades for SHMA since... 2014? This is the first complete resculpt we've gotten, which opens a much wider door. Can't wait for a new SHMA Godzilla 1994! I hope the resculpt of SpaceGodzilla gives us shattered crystals.

Added in 1 minute 4 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:59 pm
Personally I'm just making my first g99 into flying mode.
Actually, not a bad idea. Might do that myself too.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

It will be interesting to see if the new one comes with flying parts or not.

Is it a complete resculpt or just a new head/neck? The head and neck area are the only thing on the original I thought were lacking. The worst part was the teeth paint, but I already fixed that. Not sure a new headsculpt is enough to entice me. The old one isn’t screen accurate, but it also doesn’t look *bad* imo (well, once I repainted the teeth). And it’s not like SHMA doesn’t have a long history of figures that aren’t screen accurate already…

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:26 am
You are collecting the wrong line, my friend. You might even be in the wrong hobby. They been doing reissues and upgrades for SHMA since... 2014? This is the first complete resculpt we've gotten, which opens a much wider door. Can't wait for a new SHMA Godzilla 1994! I hope the resculpt of SpaceGodzilla gives us shattered crystals.
I think that’s fair, but I still hold my opinion. I don’t mind every single reissue, just this one kind of irks me. I don’t collect SHMA much anymore anyways.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

shadowgigan wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:00 am
I think that’s fair, but I still hold my opinion. I don’t mind every single reissue, just this one kind of irks me. I don’t collect SHMA much anymore anyways.
Why does this one irk you so much though?

Quote of the Year:

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:44 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:00 am
Why does this one irk you so much though?
Because it feels like they phoned in the head sculpt, then released a better version down the line. It feels (a) lazy and (b) like SHMA has no respect for the consumer. But it is what is is. I may have been over reacting lol.