Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by Legion1979 »

I mean, again, this is still Toho we're talking about. At the end of the day they don't NEED to do anything with Kong badly enough to be involved with sorting out the legal stuff, especially since they're not really a player when it comes to all of this. They've got Godzilla. They don't really need more than that.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:01 am I mean, again, this is still Toho we're talking about. At the end of the day they don't NEED to do anything with Kong badly enough to be involved with sorting out the legal stuff, especially since they're not really a player when it comes to all of this. They've got Godzilla. They don't really need more than that.
You don't think the idea of Toho headlining their own series of movies with Kong hasn't crossed their minds once or twice?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:03 am
Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:01 am I mean, again, this is still Toho we're talking about. At the end of the day they don't NEED to do anything with Kong badly enough to be involved with sorting out the legal stuff, especially since they're not really a player when it comes to all of this. They've got Godzilla. They don't really need more than that.
You don't think the idea of Toho headlining their own series of movies with Kong hasn't crossed their minds once or twice?
Sure, but I doubt it's ever been something they've been so serious about that they'd actually attempt to go through with it. Again, at the end of the day Godzilla makes them enough money. And with Kong starring in MonsterVerse films that also star Godzilla, Toho still gets a piece of that financial success anyway (provided the films are successful of course).

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kong going into the public domain in a couple of years might help Toho down the line. Ultimately I can see Toho not wanting to deal with Universal over a King design that is not in the target area that SHMA seems to prefer anway. The 70th anniversary would provide an avenue to try for a 62 King like they are doing now with 50th anniversary events.

Toho might also want to do a Kong film of their own after 2029 but as Legion1979 said they have indirect access to Kong through the MV.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I would LOVE to see MonsterArts take on some of the 'big bug' monsters, but there may be a steeper hill to climb. Not the engineering, I've seen what Bandai has made in other lines for articulated insects and some of them are amazing, they clearly have the know-how. I'm thinking more of the fact that the 'non-kaiju kaiju', the things that look a lot like normal animals, may be a hard sell since there are already options out there that would be hard for the average person to tell from a model of the actual creature. And then you have companies like Safari Ltd, Papo, Schleich, etc that have non-articulated but great looking animals for cheaper for non-centerpiece display, and you're fighting for a thick slice of a very thinly sliced pie.

Even in my own display, which has been quite correctly called 'assembled out of odds and ends', I'd be hard pressed to justify spending a $hundred+ on an articulated octopus, though I'd really love a bigger one that had articulated tentacles Biollante-style...

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

I think it's time I have to look myself in the mirror and admit I have been priced out of this line. Even the "smaller" releases without accessories like Monster X have MSRP of ~$130. Of course they are just now going in on Millennium and Showa when I'm broker than ever. (Love the Heisei stuff but they were stuck on it and Monsterverse for like a decade)
Last edited by PuzzledAmphibian on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Aye that sucks. This is why alternatives need to exist. I'd be interested in seeing what a Playmate's collectors line might be like. If its like Power Rangers Lightning Collection Monsters ($30 USD+) that'd be a fair price.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I like getting these figs every so often. Means I can’t be a completionist with the line, but I was priced out of that option a while ago. I pick and choose.

NECA going away was a shame for sure because that meant there was no in-between super-articulated collector’s line. While movie monster series is still my bread and butter for collecting, it would be nice to have the option of a bit more affordable collector’s items. Mezco and Hiya seem to be filling a bit of that space, but even still, more couldn’t hurt.
Last edited by CyberZilla on Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

My dream come true would be if Hiya moved into the Showa era. I doubt that, though, as their license is pretty clearly just a Monsterverse one, at least for now.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

NECA's molds were hit and miss, my issue with them was that they had disinterest in anything outside Godzilla. After all the info coming out that they weren't locked out of other kaiju, it's really disappointing. Sometimes brand managers just do not understand the property they have. Took a while for Power Rangers at Hasbro to get their footing.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

There's nothing wrong with looking at your own finances and prioritising. It's healthier to say "I've hit my limit" then stress over any kind of collectible.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

This line's turn to Showa would've been a boon for me about five or six years ago. But now I'm only in this for the Godzilla designs anymore. If I had the money and the space I'd go all in on the rest, especially Gigan and Monster X who were dream choices for me.

gojimatt
Monsterland Worker

Post by gojimatt »

For anyone that's interested the Kiryu Godzilla/G2001 reissue is up for order over on CDJapan. I say appears because they list the release date as 2020 for some reason but I'm assuming as they have stock all of a sudden and its come out on the same date as listed on Hobby Search that it's the current reissue.
'Do not try to escape earthlings or you'll force us to kill you.'

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

Gigan is also on Amazon now for anyone interested.

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:34 pm This line's turn to Showa would've been a boon for me about five or six years ago. But now I'm only in this for the Godzilla designs anymore. If I had the money and the space I'd go all in on the rest, especially Gigan and Monster X who were dream choices for me.
I feel this. I understand that not every release/design will be fan favorite and there are variables influencing which characters are released and when, but I can only wait for so long and spend so much before losing my motivation to collect. In my case it felt weird running out of space, looking at my display case, and realizing just how much I've poured into these toys lol. Despite that, I'd say I'm satisfied with most of my purchases. We'll never get the perfect or ideal Godzilla/Kaiju action figure line, but this line has its moments, and with all the new competition it seems like a great time to be into collecting. Personally I've been shifting towards those little Complete Works dioramas from 2004 which are much cheaper and equally awesome.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

It seems like the reissue of Godzilla (2002) is already out in Japan. I remember reading that it was sheduled for release in March. However, both HLJ and amiami (maybe others, too) have it ready to ship right now.
Size DOES matter!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:19 pm There's nothing wrong with looking at your own finances and prioritising. It's healthier to say "I've hit my limit" then stress over any kind of collectible.
If HIYA ever gets into the other stuff besides MV, SHMA is pretty much D-O-N-E.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:45 pm
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:19 pm There's nothing wrong with looking at your own finances and prioritising. It's healthier to say "I've hit my limit" then stress over any kind of collectible.
If HIYA ever gets into the other stuff besides MV, SHMA is pretty much D-O-N-E.
At that point, it would be a matter of if the crazy articulation engineering is worth the extra money.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Depends on the monster, for me. For example, Biollante and Ghidorah I was fully willing to pay extra to have the articulations in the vines or neck/tails. For Gamera, its diminishing returns. I've stuck with my MMS as despite several great MonsterArts ones that I want to get, money is still an issue and Gamera isn't that posable ANYWAY.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

For sure, the insect-based kaiju like Kumonga, or Kamacuras, etc. need that if SHMA ever do them. Manda would be weird if he weren't jointed as much as Ghidorah's neck. He has to wrap the Gotengo in case one is done to scale.