Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by Platypus Prime »

Well, my Godzilla vs. Grimlock thing above was intended as a joke, but as a few things imploded at once (computer. heat pump, and possible car situation) a lot of my Chogokin, MonsterArts, and even Super7 ideas may have to be put in backburner. On the bright side, though, things like the Kong coupon make me hope that if I can get things back under some semblance of 'normal', by that point there may be a discount and I will come out ahead! We'll see. In the meantime I will be living vicariously through the Pictures forum and The Articulation Series facebook page!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Just opened up Monster X for Christmas! Really loving tge figure, however the jaw seems to be fused and its making me nervous opening and closing it. Does anyone know of a fix for it?

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

If you direct a hair dryer (carefully) at it to warm up the joint that often helps! After it slowly works free, a tiny amount of cube lube or other plastic-safe lube can help longer-term but isn't actually needed unless it is tight to the point of possibly breaking the joint itself.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Platypus Prime wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:37 am If you direct a hair dryer (carefully) at it to warm up the joint that often helps! After it slowly works free, a tiny amount of cube lube or other plastic-safe lube can help longer-term but isn't actually needed unless it is tight to the point of possibly breaking the joint itself.
See what scares me is that the jaw bends but its clearly bending the hinge joint and not actually turning, I feel heating it up would only make that worse

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Yeah don’t heat it and apply pressure. You can try heating it up to see if it breaks loose, just don’t push on it too much while it’s hot.

You can also try putting it in the freezer (or outside the last few days…) for several hours. This will have the opposite effect and rather than risk bending it, it will make the plastic very brittle and highly likely to snap if you push it too much.

But, heating or cooling, or even doing one immediately after the other may cause the plastic to expand or contract enough to loosen itself. Just be very careful if you try to move it at all while it’s hot or cold because the risk of damage in those states is high.

Lastly, if you can see the ball or socket you could apply silicone grease or some other plastic safe lubricant. A syringe style applicator with a thin needle can help get it into the joint more easily. Not stabbing through the plastic, just that the thin needle can slip between the articulation gaps and get up close to the stuck joint and get the grease where it needs to be.

Once lubed, just gently work the joint back and forth as much as it can reasonably move without breaking. As the joint wiggles back and forth, even a fraction of a millimeter, the grease will work it’s way into the joint and it will slowly start to move further and further until it totally frees up. I just did this to the base tail joint on SHMA Hedorah like two days ago. That joint was so stuck I wasn’t sure it was even supposed to be a joint. But now it moves freely.

Good luck!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Thank you for the advice! What I've figured out is Monster X does not have a ball joint for the jaw but its a hinge like the Godzilla Earth figure. Would this change anything with how I should approach fixing the joint?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Nah, a stuck joint is a stuck joint. Only difference is you have less directions to wiggle it.

If you can see the joint I’d go with silicone grease. It’s the most sure way to loosen it without damage. Just apply some as deep as you can manage to the joint crevice. It’ll soak down in the crack. Gently start working it back and forth until it loosens up.

Wipe off any excess grease with a paper towel or clean rag.

Added in 1 minute 23 seconds:
The only other issue is if it’s paint that’s causing the joint to stick. As in, they assembled it before the paint dried or paint seeped into the joint and then dried.

Paint stuck joints are a whole different can of worms.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Holy shit! I just looked at my partial.ly account to pay off some figures, and I noticed something sitting there with a total of $278. I forgot I preordered MKG. Am I crazy to think that SHMA pricing is starting to get a bit out of hand? Almost $300 for this thing.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

That's what I ran into. I really had every intention to do it (and also Gamera and Chogokin Kiryu if I could) but then I had the crashing of of a few household appliances, and while MKG is only about 5% of what I'm having to outlay on short notice, it's still enough of a chunk that I had to hold on it and my other plans. While I am plenty willing to pay for what I actually want (I have both SCV Ghidorah 2019 and Biollante) life sometimes gets in the way and a $300 toy can't be an impulse buy, much less two and a half...I'm getting priced out of the game. Like I said above, though, I may get lucky! There have been some good sales like Kong, maybe it will happen again and I will have this turn out great! I'm holding onto my Super7 Rose Biollante preorder for now, I did it through BBTS. I'm honestly glad I didn't do it directly through them, though, as if I had I'd not be able to cancel it if things get worse.
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I'd like to see Playmates take a stab at the whole articulated 6 inch scale figure business. SOMEONE has to take a try that sells merch in the US. Hiya Toys looks awesome but their reach is limited.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Question - have there been any reports or photo drops of the 1991 Godzilla they teased a few months back?

To KingKaiju's question, I think that priced have been getting progressively higher the past few years. The crazy exception to me are the Godzilla and Kong 2021, which amaze me how they were dropped to $50 for a while. Those prices really make me think that these regular sized releases like Monster X and 2004 Godzilla should have been much lower.

End of the day, a lot of us are willing to pay the MSRP so I guess Bandai has no reason to correct the prices.

For 2023, still a little torn on what to pre-order. I think rn Shin is the one I am most interested. Hoping that with this re-release they will correct the issues of the past. The amount of red paint on that one gives me slight anxiety the end product is gonna have a lot of paint bleed.

Gamera 3 and MKG are tempting me.
Last edited by GodzillaXGomoraFight on Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira 41mk11
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojira 41mk11 »

More SHMA Showa Gigan information/images!
https://figsoku.net/blog-entry-326126.html
Last edited by Gojira 41mk11 on Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Gigan: Gigan <3 :Gigan:
But Gigan is a villain that prove you support only villain not hero
Wrong. The current MonsterVerse films are “kaka”. At least these classic Showa kaiju films ain’t WOKE!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I don't see any joints in the tail. Like at all. I hope, hope, HOPE that they're just very well hidden in the sculpt. But damn, am I sort of worried about it being a Golza tail...

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The curve of the tail is completely different between the two photos, MM.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:47 pm The curve of the tail is completely different between the two photos, MM.
Thanks, Legion. Didn't notice that. Do you know why I reference a "Golza tail?"

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Does this image put your concerns at ease?

I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Fermix wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:15 pm Does this image put your concerns at ease?

Yeah, lil bit. Think I can make out the seam lines on the tail where the articulation joints are.

Quote of the Year:

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Definitely see joints there. It’s not a bendy wire.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

That sculpt still looks immaculate. They absolutely nailed it.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I do think it's time we pop this up in here:

Wonder if this Gigan will get a bingo.

Quote of the Year: