Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by MoarCrossovers »

S.H.MonsterArts Gamera Rebirth, Gamera (1999) Kyoto Decisive Battle Ver., Iris and Gigan (1972)
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Wow. They all look great! I’ve already got the first release Gamera ‘99 so I’ll pass on him even though the paint looks much better (hopefully they’re able to maintain that with production pieces). Irys is a total surprise and looks amazing. But I doubt I’ll get it; just not a favorite kaiju of mine and I don’t have room/budget to get everything they put out.

But Gigan looks astonishingly good and I can’t pass him up! Anyone know of a release date yet?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Is the new Gamera just painted differently.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:30 am Is the new Gamera just painted differently.
Yes.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

According to the articulationseries Gamera has newly sculpted parts.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

I am shocked that Iris is the first Gamera villain to debut in the line; I thought Gyaos was the clear choice. No complaints from me though, Iris was my favorite movie as a small child and I cannot wait to have an articulated figure of her.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:38 am According to the articulationseries Gamera has newly sculpted parts.
I thought the head looked a little different (more screen accurate). That’s cool that they tried to improve it if true. But it also adds more fuel to the fire of encouraging fans to NOT pick up new releases with an expectation that a better release isn’t too far away…

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:30 am Is the new Gamera just painted differently.
Nope, new head sculpt
[Pic]https://scontent-lhr8-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=637A498C[/Pic]
Source:
https://m.facebook.com/100057557297879/

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:37 am But it also adds more fuel to the fire of encouraging fans to NOT pick up new releases with an expectation that a better release isn’t too far away…
I'm so annoyed with this. Same thing happened with the Sakai 84 by X-Plus. I would definitely have waited for the Super-X.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

That is so cool that we are getting more Gamera figures! Although I wish we had received Gyaos or Legion instead of Irys, this gives me hope! I'm glad Gamera is getting some love.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I just wish we could get a US release of Gamera '95...
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Is it just me or has there been a marked improvement on the quality of these latest reveals? Gigan and now Iris look borderline X-Plus quality, which I chalk up to the paint/highlights. I know they're just prototypes, but prototypes usually don't differ that much from the final products in this line IIRC.

Iris is just perfect. The new Gamera also looks league better than the original; having passed on the original and having regret that decision a bit, I will be grabbing this new one, though I genuinely feel for those who got the original. I've been on the losing end of similar situations where improved variants are released later on.

Also, shoutout to them for putting together that wonderful little display diorama; I miss when they used to do those more often!
Fermix wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:03 am I am shocked that Iris is the first Gamera villain to debut in the line; I thought Gyaos was the clear choice.
Definitely; I honestly figured Gyaos would end up being the only Gamera monster we'd end up with in the line, and was a bit miffed that we never got a single Gamera villain. I'd all but given up hope for more Gamera stuff from this line.

I still hope to see Gyaos down the road, be it '95 or Hyper (have a slight preference for the latter design).

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:58 am
Fermix wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:03 am I am shocked that Iris is the first Gamera villain to debut in the line; I thought Gyaos was the clear choice.
Definitely; I honestly figured Gyaos would end up being the only Gamera monster we'd end up with in the line, and was a bit miffed that we never got a single Gamera villain. I'd all but given up hope for more Gamera stuff from this line.

I still hope to see Gyaos down the road, be it '95 or Hyper (have a slight preference for the latter design).
If this set of reveals is anything to go by, we can expect definitive versions of Gamera from the first two movies alongside the enemy kaiju, with Legion coming last pending success of the first releases.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

YES, a frickin' Irys!!! It's my favorite Gamera villain, and the Legion mother a close 2nd. Plus, I was almost pulling the trigger on a 2nd Gamera '99 to have one in flying pose, too. Glad I've been patient this time.
That Gigan looks sweet, too. I hope it's to scale with other Showa villains and G'64, though ~
Size DOES matter!

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I missed the first few MonsterArts Gameras, I do have a great MMS one that I use in my displays. But I'd love a poseable one with a fire-glove. I need to actually watch that movie at some point. This may date me badly but Iris looks like something from Guyver.

I would also like to see the Gamera Behind the Curtain, I will probably only be able to get one, so I'd like to see my options.

I do wonder if the 'special color' Gamera would come with the flying parts, simply because some of these 'new paint and remold' ones don't have some of the bits, like no beam or extra head for Night Attack Shin Godzilla. Other times, they have EXTRA stuff like Final Battle Gigan. And even other times, BOTH, like how Mecha-Ghidorah simultaneously lost the Dorats and gained damage-effect wings. It makes it hard to predict.
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Chogokin Kiryu:

And a video of the lights in action:

https://www.facebook.com/TAS.SHMA/video ... 690812830/

Man I have so many Kiryu figures, its hard to justify another... and yet...
Fermix wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:18 am If this set of reveals is anything to go by, we can expect definitive versions of Gamera from the first two movies alongside the enemy kaiju, with Legion coming last pending success of the first releases.
Hopefully. It'd be nice if '99 did indeed come with the flying parts like the original. Not a deal breaker though since I already got '96 with his boatload of accessories.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I don't have any version of Mechagodzilla at all. I was looking at Super7's Ultimate to work with my Light Sound Music Godzilla, but if this one is larger than the usual Monsterarts, like Music Box Godzilla is, I wonder if the lights would make it a better partner? I'll be interested as to the actual size and cost!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

That Iris is beautiful.

Gamera 1999 pisses me off a bit, though. I bought the original Gamera 1999 and it's my second-worst Monsterarts figure by far. Tempted to upgrade, but it's a waste of money and a bit of a spit in the face.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gojirasaur
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirasaur »

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:49 pm I don't have any version of Mechagodzilla at all. I was looking at Super7's Ultimate to work with my Light Sound Music Godzilla, but if this one is larger than the usual Monsterarts, like Music Box Godzilla is, I wonder if the lights would make it a better partner? I'll be interested as to the actual size and cost!
If you've never seen it, nothing compares to the Showa RC McG. Nothing. Look on Youtube for videos of it and it'll blow you away.

I'd give up a kidney for a reissue of that, and that would be for the deposit.