Wikizilla vs. Gojipedia

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Wikizilla vs. Gojipedia

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Simple question. Which is better?

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Wikizilla vs. Gojipedia

Post by Ivo-goji »

They're both unnecessary given Toho Kingdom exists.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Simple question. Which is better?
I find myself browsing Wikizilla frequently whenever there's something I cannot find on the TK main site. Their individual credits pages listing all the movie staff have been a godsend in the past, as have their addition of proper citations. Their management is also highly dedicated and thorough - while I hear nothing but bad things from the way Gojipedia's handled as of late...
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Wikizilla.org easily wins. It's the easiest and fastest way to navigate a website with information on Godzilla and various other kaiju. I rarely ever expole TK other than the forums.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Ivo-goji wrote:They're both unnecessary given Toho Kingdom exists.
Not really, when Wikizilla covers a lot of things this site doesn't and in a much more detailed and more accessible format, at that. I'm not saying Wikizilla is better than TK, they both have strengths and weaknesses, but saying the latter is outright unnecessary is a huge stretch.

And what's wrong with unnecessary things, anyway? ;)

On topic, Wikizilla is absolutely the better choice between the two, for a myriad of reasons.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Simple question. Which is better?
Gojipedia is actually an old version of Wikizilla.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

I know I will sound incredibly biased since I work on the Wikizilla staff, but basically Gojipedia is a puppet website run by one staff member appointed by Wikia after Wikizilla forked from Wikia. We were tired of having to deal with Wikia's restrictions and policies, especially given their shifting of focus away from wikis and more toward clickbait entertainment articles. The head staff member purchased a server and we worked for years to move content over to the new domain so we could have a fresh start and move on from the (admittedly deserved) poor reputation Wikizilla has had in the past.

Wikia, while it allows sites to fork, does not take kindly to them doing so because it cuts into their ad revenue, so they quickly demoted our staff and banned some of us, then appointed a new administrator to run the site. Said new administrator had a passing familiarity with most of the franchise outside of the 1998 and 2014 films, hence why those films tend to get more focus on Gojipedia than Japanese media. There are other administrators on Gojipedia technically, but they don't edit very frequently and only the head admin really does anything administrative. Gojipedia's userbase consists largely of small children who add questionable content and plagiarize from other sites, including Wikizilla, and since there is only one staff member a large portion of it goes unchecked.

I would say Wikizilla is unquestionably the superior website, but again I am obviously biased. Gojipedia's advantage is that it is hosted by Wikia and therefore is put above Wikizilla in Google search rankings, though Wikizilla is starting to make headway in that area. Unfortunately Wikia tried to stifle us getting the word out about the fork when it happened, so many people were unaware it happened and just continued using Gojipedia. Even though we use social media and YouTube to try to get the word out, people still often assume our social media and channel are run by Gojipedia and go there instead. It's been a lot of time and work, and it just irritates me that Gojipedia is able to get by from search rankings alone. Other wikis that have forked from Wikia, such as Uncyclopedia, have encountered similar difficulties as well.

I can't speak for the entirety of the content on Gojipedia, nor can I on some of the more questionable stuff Wikizilla itself has featured in the past, but I assure you the new Wikizilla.org has a dedicated staff that consults reliable resources to add information, and has diligently worked to remove plagiarism and other undesirable content from Wikizilla in the past few years, while making the site as user-friendly and aesthetically-pleasing as possible. It's still a work in progress obviously, but at least we don't have pages named "Godzilla (TROG)," "ShodaiSupesuGoji," "Godzilla design (2017 film)," and "Unidentified Earth female," or think that "Kiryu" is an unofficial nickname only used in video games. Wikizilla is making a concerted effort to improve and become a legitimately reliable resource, while Gojipedia just skates by on search rankings and support from Wikia alone.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

King of the Monsters wrote:I know I will sound incredibly biased since I work on the Wikizilla staff, but basically Gojipedia is a puppet website run by one staff member appointed by Wikia after Wikizilla forked from Wikia. We were tired of having to deal with Wikia's restrictions and policies, especially given their shifting of focus away from wikis and more toward clickbait entertainment articles. The head staff member purchased a server and we worked for years to move content over to the new domain so we could have a fresh start and move on from the (admittedly deserved) poor reputation Wikizilla has had in the past.

Wikia, while it allows sites to fork, does not take kindly to them doing so because it cuts into their ad revenue, so they quickly demoted our staff and banned some of us, then appointed a new administrator to run the site. Said new administrator had a passing familiarity with most of the franchise outside of the 1998 and 2014 films, hence why those films tend to get more focus on Gojipedia than Japanese media. There are other administrators on Gojipedia technically, but they don't edit very frequently and only the head admin really does anything administrative. Gojipedia's userbase consists largely of small children who add questionable content and plagiarize from other sites, including Wikizilla, and since there is only one staff member a large portion of it goes unchecked.

I would say Wikizilla is unquestionably the superior website, but again I am obviously biased. Gojipedia's advantage is that it is hosted by Wikia and therefore is put above Wikizilla in Google search rankings, though Wikizilla is starting to make headway in that area. Unfortunately Wikia tried to stifle us getting the word out about the fork when it happened, so many people were unaware it happened and just continued using Gojipedia. Even though we use social media and YouTube to try to get the word out, people still often assume our social media and channel are run by Gojipedia and go there instead. It's been a lot of time and work, and it just irritates me that Gojipedia is able to get by from search rankings alone. Other wikis that have forked from Wikia, such as Uncyclopedia, have encountered similar difficulties as well.

I can't speak for the entirety of the content on Gojipedia, nor can I on some of the more questionable stuff Wikizilla itself has featured in the past, but I assure you the new Wikizilla.org has a dedicated staff that consults reliable resources to add information, and has diligently worked to remove plagiarism and other undesirable content from Wikizilla in the past few years, while making the site as user-friendly and aesthetically-pleasing as possible. It's still a work in progress obviously, but at least we don't have pages named "Godzilla (TROG)," "ShodaiSupesuGoji," "Godzilla design (2017 film)," and "Unidentified Earth female," or think that "Kiryu" is an unofficial nickname only used in video games. Wikizilla is making a concerted effort to improve and become a legitimately reliable resource, while Gojipedia just skates by on search rankings and support from Wikia alone.
Wow... that’s really good to know! Thanks dude, and thank you for the work you and the rest of the wikizilla staff do!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I suppose Wikizilla is a bit more organized given you have yo have an account to edit it and I guess it has admins who care a bit more, but honestly, neither are especially good. There isn't much in the way of behind-the-scenes research and little to offer outside of monster information. But one thing really irks me about both is the fact that non-Toho stuff like Gamera, Gorgo, Yongary, Gappa, Zarkorr, etc. (And then there's super stupid stuff like a page for AVGN because he reviewed a Godzilla game once) are included in a wikia that's supposed to be dedicated to Godzilla/Toho. The addition of stuff like that really bloats it. Try focusing on making a page better instead of making a new one for Kraa.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I've actually found the additional non-Toho material particularly useful, and it seems appropriate for a wiki focusing on Kaiju; while not related by production company, it is related by topic of interest.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Zarm wrote:I've actually found the additional non-Toho material particularly useful, and it seems appropriate for a wiki focusing on Kaiju; while not related by production company, it is related by topic of interest.
Then it should be called something else. It prides itself on being called the Godzilla Wikia, so I feel it should stick to Toho material and do it well.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
Zarm wrote:I've actually found the additional non-Toho material particularly useful, and it seems appropriate for a wiki focusing on Kaiju; while not related by production company, it is related by topic of interest.
Then it should be called something else. It prides itself on being called the Godzilla Wikia, so I feel it should stick to Toho material and do it well.
I dunno, I think that’s kind of a minor point. Similar to what Ivo said, we’ve got Toho kingdom for just Toho stuff. I personally appreciate something that’s a little more all encompassing, and the name is just kind of whatever.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I firmly believe that if Wikizilla didn't cover non-Toho stuff, most information about those films would be scattered around various blogs and collected into tiny, unorganized Wikias. I'm glad they don't restrict themselves to Toho/Godzilla stuff.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Yeah, it kind of goes without saying that someone research Godzilla may eventually move onto other kajiju and related films. This way it's one stop shopping.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Also, I feel like Godzilla has earned the place to be a somewhat synonymous with the genre.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Yeah, and Wikizilla.org isn't just a Godzilla wiki, it's a wiki for the kaiju genre in general.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Exactly, Wikizilla is a great name for a kaiju wiki. It invokes the thought of Godzilla, but it's all encompassing.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

Godzilla is definitely the focus and how the wiki started, but we openly declare on the home page that it's an "encyclopedia of Godzilla, Gamera, King Kong, Toho monsters and more." We do actively prioritize Godzilla stuff, but monsters like Gorgo, Gappa, Guilala, and others don't get much coverage on the internet and don't have their own active wikis, so we felt it was a natural extension of what we do. The name "Wikizilla" also works well for us, because it suggests a wiki about giant monsters. If the name was just something like "Godzilla Wiki" it would be a little more bizarre to see so many pages about things besides Godzilla.
Last edited by King of the Monsters on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I really appreciate that part of the wiki. It gives these at least some sort of spotlight.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

i prefer Wikizilla and i have a account on there follow me it's GMKGojifan2001. I like Wikizilla better because they have official Godzilla facts.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.