Wikizilla vs. Gojipedia

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Wikizilla vs. Gojipedia

Post by tbeasley »

MaxRebo320 wrote:But one thing really irks me about both is the fact that non-Toho stuff like Gamera, Gorgo, Yongary, Gappa, Zarkorr, etc. (And then there's super stupid stuff like a page for AVGN because he reviewed a Godzilla game once) are included in a wikia that's supposed to be dedicated to Godzilla/Toho. The addition of stuff like that really bloats it. Try focusing on making a page better instead of making a new one for Kraa.
I feel the same way, it's like shoving Doctor Who, Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica into a Star Wars wiki.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

tbeasley wrote:
MaxRebo320 wrote:But one thing really irks me about both is the fact that non-Toho stuff like Gamera, Gorgo, Yongary, Gappa, Zarkorr, etc. (And then there's super stupid stuff like a page for AVGN because he reviewed a Godzilla game once) are included in a wikia that's supposed to be dedicated to Godzilla/Toho. The addition of stuff like that really bloats it. Try focusing on making a page better instead of making a new one for Kraa.
I feel the same way, it's like shoving Doctor Who, Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica into a Star Wars wiki.
I think there’s a qualitative difference there. True, those are all epic space franchises that can be grouped together in many ways, but they are also each gigantic universes with pages and pages worth of potential wiki content. It’s much more logical to group them apart for that reason. Memory-alpha has over 45k pages, while Wookiepedia has 141k.

Meanwhile, Gojipedia and Wikizilla each only have just over 3k pages. The Godzilla franchise just doesn’t have the same breadth of lore, behind-the-scenes info and internal world information as those others you listed. I’m not saying a wiki just for Godzilla is stupid, it’s not - I’m just saying there’s plenty of room to include info about the genre as a whole.

Frustrations over certain pages not getting the attention they deserve are valid, but not because there’s so much distraction from elsewhere. Rather, I think it’s just an issue that’s endemic to wikis as a whole. It’s the nature of the beast. I mean, the DC wiki has a gigantic staff and administration, and I personally find it to be just a mess.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Meanwhile, Gojipedia and Wikizilla each only have just over 3k pages. The Godzilla franchise just doesn’t have the same breadth of lore, behind-the-scenes info and internal world information as those others you listed. I’m not saying a wiki just for Godzilla is stupid, it’s not - I’m just saying there’s plenty of room to include info about the genre as a whole.
Plus, these are movies/series whose real-world production/distribution histories are sufficiently related that not having easy reference to information on something like the Gamera series can be restrictive when trying to put certain Godzilla movies in full context.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Also let’s be honest with ourselves, a ‘kaijupedia’ just isn’t going to get the same hits as something with Godzilla’s name in it. Some young kid whose seen the 2014 film goes looking for more information, winds up on Wikizilla and ends up discovering the Toho films, and Gamera, and Ultraman, etc. I think that’s a cool thing! :)

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Ivo-goji wrote:They're both unnecessary given Toho Kingdom exists.
Yeah, with all those monsters from Megaloman, Greenman, and other shows and stats and ...oh wait.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

tbeasley wrote:
It's not a Godzilla wiki to begin with, though, it's a wiki for the kaiju genre as whole.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Also let’s be honest with ourselves, a ‘kaijupedia’ just isn’t going to get the same hits as something with Godzilla’s name in it. Some young kid whose seen the 2014 film goes looking for more information, winds up on Wikizilla and ends up discovering the Toho films, and Gamera, and Ultraman, etc. I think that’s a cool thing! :)
To be fair, Memory Alpha (the Star Trek Wiki) doesn't seem to have any trouble getting hits, and the actual in-universe Memory Alpha is pretty obscure except to hardcore Trekkies.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I think there’s a qualitative difference there. True, those are all epic space franchises that can be grouped together in many ways, but they are also each gigantic universes with pages and pages worth of potential wiki content. It’s much more logical to group them apart for that reason. Memory-alpha has over 45k pages, while Wookiepedia has 141k.

Meanwhile, Gojipedia and Wikizilla each only have just over 3k pages. The Godzilla franchise just doesn’t have the same breadth of lore, behind-the-scenes info and internal world information as those others you listed. I’m not saying a wiki just for Godzilla is stupid, it’s not - I’m just saying there’s plenty of room to include info about the genre as a whole.

I think having less pages would be a benefit because you could focus on quality over quantity.
Gerdzerl wrote:It's not a Godzilla wiki to begin with, though, it's a wiki for the kaiju genre as whole.
Then why not just call it Kaiju Wiki or Tokupedia then, or have separate Kong, Godzilla, Gamera wikis under that umbrella. It looks like they do that anyway with Ultraman, Kamen Rider, Super Sentai/Power Rangers.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

tbeasley wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:It's not a Godzilla wiki to begin with, though, it's a wiki for the kaiju genre as whole.
Then why not just call it Kaiju Wiki or Tokupedia then, or have separate Kong, Godzilla, Gamera wikis under that umbrella. It looks like they do that anyway with Ultraman, Kamen Rider, Super Sentai/Power Rangers.
Because that's not as mainstream a title. It's not as iconic or attention-getting. it's simple marketing; to focus on the iconic. But the site itself then makes it clear that it is not a Godzilla-only site. (Which, again, is good in my book; it rounds up a number of the other kaiju that are pertinent to the series, or small enough/from individual entries that they're unlikely to have their own wikis, while leaving the larger franchise things like Super Sentai and Ultraman to their own wikis. They fill a niche that would not otherwise be filled- and has served as valuable reference in the past- as supplementary information to the Godzilla series that occupies the lion's share of the content.)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

tbeasley wrote: Then why not just call it Kaiju Wiki or Tokupedia then, or have separate Kong, Godzilla, Gamera wikis under that umbrella. It looks like they do that anyway with Ultraman, Kamen Rider, Super Sentai/Power Rangers.
Because the amount of information on Kong, Gamera, and any other non-Godzilla stuff just isn't sufficient enough to hold their own separate wikis. You'd have, like, five or six wikis that are just barren with information.

I really don't see the issue with having everything under one banner. Fewer offshoots = a more dedicated staff which = more information being added.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Yeah, I don’t think the presence of non-Godzilla stuff is really explanation for any lack of quality.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think I can see the argument that it might be a little unfocused, but yeah the presence of non-Godzilla stuff doesn't really mean the site as a whole is poor.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Because the amount of information on Kong, Gamera, and any other non-Godzilla stuff just isn't sufficient enough to hold their own separate wikis. You'd have, like, five or six wikis that are just barren with information.

I really don't see the issue with having everything under one banner. Fewer offshoots = a more dedicated staff which = more information being added.
There were Gamera and King Kong Wikis in the past, and Wikizilla absorbed them both with the permission of those wikis' staff years ago, for that exact reason. They had a very limited number of pages and editors, and most of the people who cared about those wikis already edited Wikizilla. It seemed logical to just bring everything under one umbrella, rather than have one active wikis and two dead ones all edited by the same staff. Granted this was before I was a staff member on Wikizilla, but this is what I've been told. You can still go to the Gamera and Kong wikis and see how dead they are, though Wikia will deny it and say they're both still alive and well. The Kong Wiki in particular is filled with plagiarism and pages about some random guy's fanfiction.

Most major tokusatsu franchises have their own wikis, Ultraman alone has two, and they're all united by a single hub wiki called Tokupedia, which Wikizilla is a part of.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

The outdated Kong wiki is probably just as accurate as anything else lol. Kong's rights are all over the place hahaha.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Diamondshark9
Ronin

Post by Diamondshark9 »

Simple. Sorta. Gojipedia has a WAY better wiki (also easier to understand) but wikizilla has the better youtube channel (I know Gojipedia doesn't have one but Im comparing the YT channel to the Wiki)
Oh oh, they say he’s got to go, go go Godzilla! :g2k:

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Diamondshark9 wrote:Simple. Sorta. Gojipedia has a WAY better wiki (also easier to understand) but wikizilla has the better youtube channel (I know Gojipedia doesn't have one but Im comparing the YT channel to the Wiki)
How does Gojipedia have a "WAY better wiki?" I'm genuinely curious. It's full of unverified info and other nonsense that isn't fact-checked, and Wikizilla's editors have to go and complain to the staff there to get rid of pages the users there just straight-up plagiarize from Wikizilla. Plus all of its information is fragmented among incarnation pages and design pages with little to no content with bizarre page names like "Godzilla (TROG)." Wikizilla has incarnation pages for some monsters, but they still have main monster pages intact with directories to incarnation pages if there are any.
Last edited by King of the Monsters on Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamondshark9
Ronin

Post by Diamondshark9 »

Okay okay, I said this wrong. Im just more used to using Gojipedia. I did not know about this, so thanks. Now I plan on using Wikizilla more. I just always found Gojipedia easier to navigate an all that. I never really gave wikizilla a chance. My apologies.
Oh oh, they say he’s got to go, go go Godzilla! :g2k:

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

No need to apologize, Wikia made sure we couldn't really get the word out about the improvements we made to Wikizilla when we left Wikia, so that people would keep using their site. I'm just glad you gave the site a chance and came to your own conclusion.

Scribelord
Ronin

Post by Scribelord »

So I saw this brought up and I want to say some things, but first off I'm a Mod on Gojipedia myself, I haven't been one for long but I'm a pretty prominent member and I want to give my insight

So first off, I feel like Gojipedia gets a bad wrap, dont get me wrong we have had bad times but which site hasn't? Wikizilla started its existence by trying to tear apart ours instead of just making a website, like there is no need to sabotage pages if they wanted to make their own site, for that I have absolutely no respect for those who did it, now I know better than to believe that everyone is bad because they aren't, there are genuinely good users on any site but I cant stand the falsehood of "Wikizilla pure and innocent" and "Gojipedia bad and toxic" and I cant and will never have respect for the people who did that and they rightfully deserve to be called out for that just as I would rightfully deserve to be called out if I ever did anything wrong

Moving away from that I feel like Gojipedia has a inherently far better discussion board, I don't know about Wikizilla but we got Posts, Polls, Quizzes and I've used them in pretty creative ways such as making a Sin Series and I will eventually get around to making a interactive poll based game, needless to say I don't think Wikizilla offers that kind of flexibility with their posts, sure the "wikizilla is the nice wiki" argument attracts alot of users of which I'm sure there are good and bad ones but like I said considering the things I can do with the post structures it makes it pretty hard to compare to, its fast, efficient to get people gathered in one place and it let's people use them in creative ways if they can think of some

Their pages are better, that can be admitted they have a overall better layout so there's that and they have a big YouTube channel that's pretty prominent within the community so they reach to a wider audience.

Anyways I just had to say my peace, overall I'd prefer Gojipedia, sure the site has had some bad history both from lies spurred onto it and actual bad things happening but currently it's in good condition, the users are active, there are new mods helping run the place (of which I'm one of them) and the overall toxicity that was there has died down over the Monsterverse Drama (I'm not going to lie I used to be guilty of it as well but I've calmed since then)

The place could be in better shape but its looking up and I'll be sure to keep it that way

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I prefer Wikizilla personally. I've gone to Gojipedia only a handful of times and some information or stats doesn't seem to be as credible, plus I like Wikizilla's layout more.