Japanese vs. Dubbed Versions of Heisei Movies

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: Japanese vs. Dubbed Versions of Heisei Movies

Post by shadowgigan »

This is a really interesting topic. I don't mind the dubs as much as others do, but then again, I did grow up on them. I would say the only dubs I truly prefer is GvB and GvKG. This is probably because, as tbeasly stated, the awkward sounding English used in the original cuts.

The best G'85 cut is the Godzilla: Resurrection cut which gives you the best of both worlds.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

The dub that always seems to get under my skin the most is Godzilla vs. Mothra. The one scene when they first meet the Cosmos always kills me a but inside lol.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

The English Dub in Return of Godzilla is good.
The English Dub in Godzilla Vs Biollante is bad.
The English Dub in Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah is bad.
The English Dub in Godzilla & Mothra The Battle For Earth is good.
The English Dub in Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla 2 is ok.
The English Dub in Godzilla Vs Spacegodzilla is ok.
The English Dub in Godzilla Vs Destoroyah is good.
The English Dub in Rebirth of Mothra is good.
The English Dub in Rebirth of Mothra 2 is bad.
The English Dub in Rebirth of Mothra 3 is bad.
The English Dub in Gamera Guardian of the Universe is bad.
The English Dub in Gamera Advent of Legion is ok.
The English Dub in Gamera 3 The Revenge of Iris I don't remember.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Yeah, when you have English spoken and performed VERY poorly in the original Japanese version of the film, it is hard not to prefer a clean dub of all of the dialogue. That is certainly how I feel about Shin Godzilla. Patterson is not believable as an American at all with that accent. So when everyone has a matching English dub...you can suspend that disbelief a little bit more. It improves the film.

I'd love for every Godzilla film to get a fresh dub of equivalent quality.

Added in 7 minutes 13 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:25 am Let’s face it, the English dubs of these movies, as well as those for the Millennium films don’t hold up exactly well.

Let’s hope one day Sony can re-dub all the films they have under their license through Funimation.
Precisely what I am keeping fingers crossed for. It is the longest of long shots but with the 70th anniversary looming I'll keep dreaming big. Some sort of mega-deal and announcement that EVERY Godzilla film is going to get a 4K restoration, a fresh Dub from Crunchyroll, and a new Blu Ray(I don't dare to hope for 4K) release here in the states for the 70th anniversary would basically be the ultimate dream of Kaiju releases for me.

Sony handles physical distribution for Criterion. Between Sony and Criterion they have nearly every film from 54-04, and Shin. The anime stuff, RoG and Biollante are the only real outliers. In theory, the two could band together and perhaps make something happen. Universal worked with Criterion for KKvG for their set, so that bridge has been built once before.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Crispy....

A) You KNOW the entire series getting compete redubs is never going to happen. We've alresdy told you that.

B) Sony is slowly letting their distribution rights to their movies expire. That's the reason the GvsKG/GvsM bluray is so expensive. They let those films go.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Glad I have most of these on VHS lmao. I don't have the cash to hunt all the blurays down. By the time I do, I'm sure they'll be even more expensive.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Frankly, most English dubs of Heisei films (and millennium films too) have not aged well. I won’t mind seeing them get re-dubbed completely.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I don't disagree that a lot of the Heisei dubs from Mechagodzilla II - onward are pretty bad, but I'm not sure what makes people think all new dubs would sound any better, even with a more professional cast/crew. Hearing modern anime VAs over movies that are approaching 30 years old would strike me as super awkward (Not quite to the level as the Bang Zoom! Mysterians dub, but within the same ballpark).
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:52 am Crispy....

A) You KNOW the entire series getting compete redubs is never going to happen. We've alresdy told you that.

B) Sony is slowly letting their distribution rights to their movies expire. That's the reason the GvsKG/GvsM bluray is so expensive. They let those films go.
and?

Just because a good idea isn't going to happen doesn't mean it isn't a good idea.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

I got lucky that I bought the blu ray sets a few years back off Amazon when they were still $10-20 each. Before I got those, I had only the English dubs from the Tristar DVD releases. It is great having the subs for those movies now.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:13 am
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:52 am Crispy....

and?

Just because a good idea isn't going to happen doesn't mean it isn't a good idea.
It isn't a good idea.

Many of the classic dubs are disappearing. We don't need whatever is left being replaced by pointless brand new dubs.

Redubbing the ENTIRE series is a dumb idea. We dont need films 30-60+ years old stuck with dubs produced in the 21st century. That's just not going to feel right.

Btw, where did Teresawa go?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun May 01, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Neither change how bad the movies are, so really it’s just a matter of pick your poison.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The only films I ever watch dubbed are Biollante and Mothra. They're the versions I was introduced to first and thus my preferred versions to watch.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:45 pm Neither change how bad the movies are, so really it’s just a matter of pick your poison.
Ehh, I wouldn't say that's true. The dubs can be distractingly bad at times and sandbag scenes that would otherwise be fine. On the flip side, the bottom of the barrel 'English' spoken in movies like Biollante can be just as distracting, making the dub the more watchable option. Both can have an impact on the movies.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I dunno, unless there's a difference in the cut or Nick Adams I don't really watch the dubs of any movies.
It was a miracle in 2014 being able to finally watch the VS series in it's native language.
Tell me with a straight face "MAKE MY DAY" in vsKG isn't infinitely better without the dub. It just hits different.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:34 am I dunno, unless there's a difference in the cut or Nick Adams I don't really watch the dubs of any movies.
It was a miracle in 2014 being able to finally watch the VS series in it's native language.
Tell me with a straight face "MAKE MY DAY" in vsKG isn't infinitely better without the dub. It just hits different.
I still prefer the dub when it comes to the white actors though. That may make for a good fan edit some day.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:41 am It isn't a good idea.
That's a matter of opinion. It isn't a good idea to give something like the original G54 an English Dub option? What is it that Dub defenders are always saying? "English Dubs open the films up to other viewers who can't or won't read subtitles"....so for all of the early Showa films, the heavily Altered American-Edit versions are acceptable because at least they are in English? We better not dare to be able to show someone the theatrical cut of KKvsG with an English Dub, that would be so wrong.
Legion1979 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:41 am Many of the classic dubs are disappearing. We don't need whatever is left being replaced by pointless brand new dubs.

Redubbing the ENTIRE series is a dumb idea. We dont need films 30-60+ years old stuck with dubs produced in the 21st century. That's just not going to feel right.
The fact that many of the classic dubs are disappearing is, in part, due to unique or ambiguous legal situations. New dubs would negate all of that. They could be Toho commissioned and owned/licensed without any murky waters in regards to who can use them and how. The dubs would have a chance to be very consistent in quality, accuracy, and performance. Heck, you could even see re-occurring actors and actresses maintain a consistent Dub performer over the course of the franchise.

I don't think redubbing the series is dumb. You know what IS dumb? The idea that "unless a Dub was produced decades ago, there is no reason for there to be one"

Fans will fight to get two dub options for stuff like Son of Godzilla or Destroy All Monsters, but they don't like the idea of something like G54, Raids Again, or King Kong vs Godzilla even having ONE dub for their original cuts unless it is found in a vault from the 60s. "old dubs = precious gold, new dubs = pointless and dumb" is perhaps the epitome of stubborn and confusing to me.

Something else that is dumb is the inconsistent way that the Showa films are presented. Some have dubs for their original cuts, some can only be watched dubbed in an alternate US version...and because some of those altered versions are essentially defunct at this point, that leaves some of the films with essentially NO English option at all. There's no consistency.

Yes, it is a novel idea...and as I've said, I fully understand how unlikely it is to happen. That doesn't change that it would dramatically clean up and simplify this entire debate and confusion over all of the various vintage dubs and versions. The original cut, and a dub, for every film. Simple as that.

The few exceptions of included US versions will probably always be around(KOTM, KKvG, G2000) and that's fine. I would go to bat for G1985 out of respect to Mr. Burr, but that's about it.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I prefer subtitles to these films. Some of the dubbing for the Heisei era is good, but appeal to me more.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

G84/85: IDK, you tell me which is better. I like the Spanish dub.
Vs Biollante: Japanese
Vs King Ghidorah: Japanese
Vs Mothra: English
Vs Mechagodzilla 2: English
Vs Spacegodzilla: IDK
Vs Destoroyah: IDK
ROM 1: Both are fine.
ROM 2: Japanese has to be better right?
ROM 3: Japanese definitely.
Gamera 1: Japanese
Gamera 2: Either or
Gamera 3: Japanese

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The idea of watching any of these dubbed is horrifying.