Gamera 3 : Really that good?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Gamera 3 : Really that good?

Post by Vakanai »

Controversial opinion incoming here, but I say no. Sure, it had a cooler Gamera design, even better effects than the first two, and some of the best action in giant monster movie history, but the plot in my opinion is bleh and most of the characters are unlikeable and in my opinion dumb. The first two films are just so much better and more enjoyable to me than the third. I'd rather just watch clips of the fight scenes on youtube or something rather than the whole movie again. Honestly, pop in Gamera 1 and 2, skip 3 and play The Brave instead and you've got a damn good time imo.
Last edited by Vakanai on Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:45 am Controversial opinion incoming here, but I say no. Sure, it had a cooler Gamera design, even better effects than the first two, and some of the best action in giant monster movie history, but the plot in my opinion is bleh and most of the characters are unlikeable and in my opinion dumb. The first two films are just so much better and more enjoyable to me than the third. I'd rather just watch clips of the fight scenes on youtube or something rather than the whole movie again. Honestly, pop in Gamera 1 and 2, skip 3 and play The Brave instead and you've got a damn good time imo.
The more people I see sharing whatever unpopular opinion I have, the better. ;)

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I felt that the film tried to come off as more intelligent than it actually was. "Deep" talk is prevalent, especially from the Shinya Kurata character. Final fight isn't very impactful, but that's not necessarily a sin. Special effects are gorgeous.

I don't hate the film by any means and I like it. However, it's not the best in the trilogy. I would say that honor goes to Gamera 2.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:57 pm
It's not just that she's super upset about losing her parents. She loses her parents and is forced to move from Tokyo, to a random town in Nara Japan. It's the sticks. I'd compare it to moving from NY to Iowa, but it's not even that. It's the equivalent from moving from a big city, to basically where you know absolutely nothing and there is nothing. The film also makes it decently clear that Ayana's extended family do not care for her, and consider her a burden. There's a line of dialogue where her foster parents get pretty aggressive about her taking her new families last name. The film also does a good job at briefly showing hints that the village she lives in is a completely dilapidated muck-town with barely anything going on. I forget the timestamp, but there's a decent shot of her school that's way too dilapidated. My memory is also hazy, but IIRC she was being bullied, which in Japan is often more socially neglectful. HS is also a very important age in Japan as it's often when the most decisions you have to make will impact your life.

Imagine for a second, if you were a teenager without perspective. You lost your family, and had to move someplace you didn't want to. Not just someplace, but someplace that was the complete opposite of everything your life had been up to until this point. Gone are your friends, your connivence, opportunities, and everything you know. Imagine if then that people there were emotionally abusing you, and making you feel ungrateful for existing.

I agree with ShadowGigan: I don't think Ayana also understood the full outcomes of her decision. Even if she did, I don't think it was "lets murder everyone" but rather, let's get revenge on the creature that took everything away from me. The name Iris, is also important, because she named it after her cat. It's clear she embraces Iris because it finally feels like something that gives her life meaning, and loves her. Let's remember that outside of the main cast from Gamera 1 and Gamera 2, there's a lot of evidence that shows that a significant amount of the public don't care about Gamera and view it as a horrible monster, one that is no different than Gyaos.

You don't have to like Ayana, but I think her emotional issues are pretty well justified in the film. Remember that Ayana is also a direct foil to Asagi, a teenager that despite her connection to giant monsters has been able to live as a normal teenager.
Just because you can contextualize and explain something away does not mean you can justify it it. Plus, it’s not like criticizing Ayana or any character like her trivializes the fact that people endure trauma in real life.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

No one is saying that Ayana is the hero of the story so again these are some really gross moralization takes on the film.

Also the “I prefer G2” is just as eye rollingly over played as the G3 is the best in terms of opinions. If anything you rarely see G3 being held up to the level it once was. I see a lot more Shin G or GKOTM is the best takes now.

G2 is a fine film but I’ll never understand why people think the weakest film in the trilogy is the the best. It’s all action and no substance. Again. It’s good. But it’s also a little hollow.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:50 am No one is saying that Ayana is the hero of the story so again these are some really gross moralization takes on the film.
You can argue that she fills the whole “protagonist villain” trope to an extent

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Good write up about Gamera 3…

I never considered that Gamera and Ayana are mirror versions of each other in this film. Each is so consumed with the greater good that each becomes unconcerned with collateral damage.

Gamera saves Ayana and in a way perhaps reconnects with humanity through the process.

Lots of layers in this film.

I also appreciate the observation that this film eschews tradition and goes smaller instead of bigger than it’s predecessors.

Sorry you guys don’t see what I do in this film. I legitimately think it’s the best kaiju movie of all time…

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:25 pm Good write up about Gamera 3…

I never considered that Gamera and Ayana are mirror versions of each other in this film. Each is so consumed with the greater good that each becomes unconcerned with collateral damage.

Gamera saves Ayana and in a way perhaps reconnects with humanity through the process.

I also appreciate the observation that this film eschews tradition and goes smaller instead of bigger than it’s predecessors.

Sorry you guys don’t see what I do in this film. I legitimately think it’s the best kaiju movie of all time…
I'm surprised that Gamera going berserk doesn't come across as edgy for the sake of edginess. To me it seems more like a ploy for strongarming the audience into rooting for Ayana and making her look like the good guy in all this. Maybe they could've at least shown Gamera expressing shock and guilt for his methods of dealing with the Gyaos during the Shibuya scene. It would show that he's a sentient being and not just a drone.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Even though I immensely enjoy this movie, I have to admit that lately I have been gravitating towards GOTU and G2.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:25 pm

I'm surprised that Gamera going berserk doesn't come across as edgy for the sake of edginess. To me it seems more like a ploy for strongarming the audience into rooting for Ayana and making her look like the good guy in all this. Maybe they could've at least shown Gamera expressing shock and guilt for his methods of dealing with the Gyaos during the Shibuya scene. It would show that he's a sentient being and not just a drone.
Interesting take.

I think what we keep arriving at is that the ambiguousness works for some people and others want everything more spelled out.

Gamera’s ….rampage….which is a term I don’t think fits at all, but let’s go with it….does what it’s meant to do. It’s meant to make us question if Ayana is right and yes, make her a bit more sympathetic before she goes off the deep end. It makes both her and him more layered characters.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:06 am
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:25 pm

Interesting take.

I think what we keep arriving at is that the ambiguousness works for some people and others want everything more spelled out.

Gamera’s ….rampage….which is a term I don’t think fits at all, but let’s go with it….does what it’s meant to do. It’s meant to make us question if Ayana is right and yes, make her a bit more sympathetic before she goes off the deep end. It makes both her and him more layered characters.
That "rampage" is also not inconsistent with what little we see of Gamera's behavior before his connection to Asagi in GotU. While not as extreme as in GIII, the movie does call our attention to the fact that Gamera causes significant casualties in Fukuoka, and he doesn't seem to take any notice. So not only is Gamera's behavior in GIII thematically fundamental to the story they're telling, it's also demonstrates continuity with his previous behavior when not linked to a human.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Great point.

GOTU Gamera looks cuddlier and we don’t see direct human casualties but he very much behaves in the same way….just slightly less bloodthirsty and violent. Gamera 3 shows that he’s gotten better at his “job”….the fight is over relatively quickly but with a lot more destruction.

Showing that he’s stronger, wiser and not pulling his punches now that he’s had his connections with humanity removed. But as Eabaker states, he’s very much the same character.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I don't think Gamera intentionally set out to hurt humans in GIII. He simply did what he was created to do, which is to destroy the Gyaos. And he did this in the most efficient manner he saw possible, I assume. I also imagine Gamera was becoming increasingly desperate at this point given the events in G2 and the return of Gyaos in G3.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I don’t think anyone was arguing that he set out to hurt humans were they?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:15 pm I don't think Gamera intentionally set out to hurt humans in GIII. He simply did what he was created to do, which is to destroy the Gyaos. And he did this in the most efficient manner he saw possible, I assume. I also imagine Gamera was becoming increasingly desperate at this point given the events in G2 and the return of Gyaos in G3.
How would you feel if it was let's say Mothra in Gamera's position?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:01 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:15 pm I don't think Gamera intentionally set out to hurt humans in GIII. He simply did what he was created to do, which is to destroy the Gyaos. And he did this in the most efficient manner he saw possible, I assume. I also imagine Gamera was becoming increasingly desperate at this point given the events in G2 and the return of Gyaos in G3.
You mean like when Mothra rampaged through not one, but two entirely different cities on two different continents in order to rescue the fairies in 1961?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:51 pm
You mean like when Mothra rampaged through not one, but two entirely different cities on two different continents in order to rescue the fairies in 1961?
My question would be if Mothra did that in the modern era.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:44 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:51 pm

My question would be if Mothra did that in the modern era.
I mean, it was actually threatened that she would in Tokyo SOS if the Kiryu project wasn't stopped. She also outright killed a number of teenagers via cocooning in GMK... So I still don't understand your question.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:24 pm I don’t think anyone was arguing that he set out to hurt humans were they?
I suppose I interpreted the term "rampage" as alluding to an intentional act.
I think it would depend on the context. I could see how such an act could be reasonable in Mothra's eyes, if done with the goal of destroying Battra or something like that.