Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

To be clear MM, I’m not saying you’re wrong for feeling that way, to an extent I agree; I just wanted to share some reasons why I think the art is the way it is, and perhaps not the most 1 for 1 representation of the films they represent.

Honestly, one may ask “why not just use the original Japanese poster art” instead?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:49 am Honestly, one may ask “why not just use the original Japanese poster art” instead?
The answer to that would be: it's Criterion. They don't do that.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think the "framed Japanese poster" approach is the worst. It doesn't have to be original artwork, but it would be nice if these movies were released with artwork that showed more care and effort than this:

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I feel like the art captured the rich variety and exuberance I associate with the Showa era in a way that more slavish dedication to the specific designs used in the movies might not have.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

eabaker wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:05 am I feel like the art captured the rich variety and exuberance I associate with the Showa era in a way that more slavish dedication to the specific designs used in the movies might not have.
Yes, this. This 1000%.

Criterion had the right idea with this set. It's funny how aggravated some people were/are with this art considering some of the garbage that passed for physical media packaging on Godzilla releases in the past.

The only issue with the entire set that can be blamed entirely on Criterion is how the disc packaging failed. THAT sucked.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Word is the Honda films added to the Criterion Channel today (The Mysterians, Varan, Atragon, Matango, Dogora, Frankenstein vs Baragon, and Space Amoeba) have the Janus Films logo before them, which may indicate they have fully acquired the rights to these films.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Wonder why Latitude Zero was left out.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Joseph Goodman wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:50 am Word is the Honda films added to the Criterion Channel today (The Mysterians, Varan, Atragon, Matango, Dogora, Frankenstein vs Baragon, and Space Amoeba) have the Janus Films logo before them, which may indicate they have fully acquired the rights to these films.
Doesn’t mean anything. Remember when Janus Films screened G84 and Biollante last year for Godzilla’s birthday? They’re no longer available for booking on their website. Apparently those had the logo too.
Last edited by goji1986 on Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

On FB August Ragone has said don't get your hopes up for anything just yet.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:42 am On FB August Ragone has said don't get your hopes up for anything just yet.
I mean, based on Toho’s actions for the Godzilla set I’d definitely take all of this with a monumental grain of salt. 2 of the films listed have had recent 4K restorations - doubt we’d see those (unless someone with access to Criterion can confirm which master they’re using). Expect ports of the Japanese Blu-ray releases with zero English versions and newly translated subs.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

No Rodan? Sigh. I'm never getting that on Blu Ray, am I?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Anguirus wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:50 am No Rodan? Sigh. I'm never getting that on Blu Ray, am I?
Criterion has that one. That and Gargantuas are streaming on HBO Max.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

goji1986 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:36 am
Joseph Goodman wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:50 am Word is the Honda films added to the Criterion Channel today (The Mysterians, Varan, Atragon, Matango, Dogora, Frankenstein vs Baragon, and Space Amoeba) have the Janus Films logo before them, which may indicate they have fully acquired the rights to these films.
Doesn’t mean anything. Remember when Janus Films screened G84 and Biollante last year for Godzilla’s birthday? They’re no longer available for booking on their website. Apparently those had the logo too.
I don't recall them ever actually being on the Janus website.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Joseph Goodman wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:25 amI don't recall them ever actually being on the Janus website.
Return and Bio were theatrical screenings earlier this year. I think Alamo Drafthouse?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:42 am On FB August Ragone has said don't get your hopes up for anything just yet.
Nothing against the guy but hasn't he been wrong about a lot of stuff lately?

Nothing against the Criterion artwork either, but the Waxwork Records collection blows it out of the water in terms of design.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

tbeasley wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:48 pm Nothing against the Criterion artwork either, but the Waxwork Records collection blows it out of the water in terms of design.
Nah. If youre talking about the artwork specifically, both sets just go for a different aesthetic. Criterion has always been artsy fartsy with their artwork, and their Godzilla set reflects that. They're just different, and I'm glad Criterion didn't do things like use Japanese poster artwork or slap the work of one American artist over literally everything.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Or they could pull an Arrow and do the obvious and have new artwork + reversable sleeve with original poster.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:10 pm
Joseph Goodman wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:25 amI don't recall them ever actually being on the Janus website.
Return and Bio were theatrical screenings earlier this year. I think Alamo Drafthouse?
Yes, I am aware of those screenings done in association with Janus, but I don't recall them actually showing up on the Janus website.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Logos. People who attended said the Janus logo was before the films.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:58 pm ^ Logos. People who attended said the Janus logo was before the films.
Again, I know that. I am saying that I don't recall them ever showing up on the Janus website afterwards, inclusive of the fact they had the Janus logos before them at the Alamo Drafthouse screenings.