What Will You Do for Godzilla's 68th Birthday?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

What Will You Do for Godzilla's 68th Birthday?

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yep G-Fans, it's that time of the year again. :P Tomorrow it will be 1 week until November 3rd, Godzilla's birthday.

How will you celebrate it? I'll probably watch my favorite films and maybe even draw or something.

I'm such a nerd! sometimes
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Re: What Will You Do for Godzilla's 63rd Birthday?

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I'm thinking about watching the following:
The Mysterians (60th birthday)
Son of Godzilla (50th birthday)
Godzilla vs. Mothra: The Battle for Earth (25th birthday)
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (15th birthday)
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Probably check out the new Godzilla vs The Thing HD reconstruction by The Red Menace.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

orga_000
Yojimbo

Post by orga_000 »

I'll probably watch Godzilla (1954) then Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000). I just bought vs. Megaguirus yesterday.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Remember it's birth of the kaiju genre as a whole and not just the Godzilla franchise.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

orga_000 wrote:I'll probably watch Godzilla (1954) then Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000). I just bought vs. Megaguirus yesterday.
Sounds cool. I'm so jealous.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Send him money and a card because I forgot to get a present.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Waiting for the anime Godzilla movie, or playing a round or two on Godzilla PS4. And probably sleeping.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm tossing around the idea of watching Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle For Earth, which was recently added to Hulu and which I've not seen in several years. We'll see.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I'm definitely gonna watch the original movie, as it's been my tradition for quite a few years now. I just hope I'll have the time to watch it, since I'm going to a classical concert on that day too.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

Dunno, probably make some popcorn and watch Godzilla 2000 (my favorite Godzilla film)
Living Corpse wrote:Remember it's birth of the kaiju genre as a whole and not just the Godzilla franchise.

And look up rule 34 pictures of biollante. :mrgreen:
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:Dunno, probably make some popcorn and watch Godzilla 2000 (my favorite Godzilla film)
Living Corpse wrote:Remember it's birth of the kaiju genre as a whole and not just the Godzilla franchise.

And look up rule 34 pictures of biollante. :mrgreen:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Have myself a Godzilla marathon. Definitely will be watching the original 1954 movie.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Wouldn’t the birth of the genre be the release of King Kong?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Cybermat47 wrote:Wouldn’t the birth of the genre be the release of King Kong?
Yes it would. Because if it weren't for King Kong. We wouldn't have gotten Godzilla, Gamera nor Ultraman.

GreenScar
Monarch Researcher

Post by GreenScar »

Probably watch '54, '84, Shin and maybe live stream some Godzilla PS4 gameplay for the first time.
:g2k: :godzilla: :g64: :spacegodzilla: :mechagodzilla: :gigan: :monsterx:

Top 5 Toho Kaiju I hope show up in the Monsterverse -https://youtu.be/ay28_lPFHvg

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Yes it would. Because if it weren't for King Kong. We wouldn't have gotten Godzilla, Gamera nor Ultraman.
Um no he wouldn't. Godzilla's creators took insperation from King Kong, but Godzilla is generally seen asJapan's first big movie monster. King Kong got kaiju tropes in the Toho films but that was after fact. :?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Living Corpse wrote:Um no he wouldn't. Godzilla's creators took insperation from King Kong, but Godzilla is generally seen asJapan's first big movie monster. King Kong got kaiju tropes in the Toho films but that was after fact. :?
You pretty much answered my question otherwise since as you said Godzilla took inspiration from King Kong, so otherwise as I said. We wouldn't have gotten Godzilla today nor Gamera and Ultraman who in turn were created in response to Godzilla.

There's a reason Toho did that 1962 film after all and eventually tried one for the Heisei series but couldn't due to legal issues.

I will confess King Kong wasn't Godzilla's only inspiration. Rhedosaurus played a part too who too wouldn't of happened had it not been for King Kong.

I guess that's just me though but I consider King Kong the birth and start of giant monster genre and arguably killer animal flicks (Jaws, Piranha, Alligator, etc).
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Living Corpse wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Um no he wouldn't. Godzilla's creators took insperation from King Kong, but Godzilla is generally seen asJapan's first big movie monster. King Kong got kaiju tropes in the Toho films but that was after fact. :?
Does a Kaiju film have to be Japanese? I don’t think so - in my opinion, you just need a giant monster.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Um no he wouldn't. Godzilla's creators took insperation from King Kong, but Godzilla is generally seen asJapan's first big movie monster. King Kong got kaiju tropes in the Toho films but that was after fact. :?
You pretty much answered my question otherwise since as you said Godzilla took inspiration from King Kong, so otherwise as I said. We wouldn't have gotten Godzilla today nor Gamera and Ultraman who in turn were created in response to Godzilla.

There's a reason Toho did that 1962 film after all and eventually tried one for the Heisei series but couldn't due to legal issues.

I will confess King Kong wasn't Godzilla's only inspiration. Rhedosaurus played a part too who too wouldn't of happened had it not been for King Kong.

I guess that's just me though but I consider King Kong the birth and start of giant monster genre and arguably killer animal flicks (Jaws, Piranha, Alligator, etc).
Kaiju is a sub genre of giant monsters. Yes King Kong inspired Godzilla and King Kong has been a kaiju but again that was after the fact.
Cybermat47 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Yes it would. Because if it weren't for King Kong. We wouldn't have gotten Godzilla, Gamera nor Ultraman.
Does a Kaiju film have to be Japanese? I don’t think so - in my opinion, you just need a giant monster.
That's....not the point. :? Godzilla started Japanese monster films.