Giant Monster Movies on Home Video

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Re: Giant Monster Movies on Home Video

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Should we add cover art/order links to some of these?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:49 pm Should we add cover art/order links to some of these?
Nah. Too much hassle for cover art and with order links there's simply too many places to get these movies from to curate.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Found a typo.

Spiders 3D should say "triple feature with Spiders & Spiders 2: Breeding Ground".

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

The R-rated cut of Guyver is getting a Blu-ray release.

Also, Queen Kong is RetroMedia.
Last edited by Mr. Yellow on Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:52 pm The R-rated cut of Guyver is getting a Blu-ray release.
WOAH! The original live action movie?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:18 pm
Mr. Yellow wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:52 pm The R-rated cut of Guyver is getting a Blu-ray release.
WOAH! The original live action movie?
4K actually.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Iced Snowman
Ronin

Post by Iced Snowman »

I'm glad I got War of the Colossal Beast, The Angry Red Planet & Gorgo on Blu-Ray before they went OOP. I missed the boat on The People That Time Forgot. Does anyone know when Clash of the Titans 1981 Blu-Ray went OOP? I got a copy on eBay for about $11 last night.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Attack of the 50 foot woman finally coming to blu-ray.

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/stat ... i1v84_g_aw

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Dragonslayer is reportedly coming to 4K disc in January. MVD Rewind is also releasing Swamp Thing in 4K.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

One typo that I saw just now: Tremors 2: Aftershocks doesn't say after DVD "part of Tremors: 7-Movie Collection box set".
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

A new imprint Film Masters will be releasing a Blu-ray double feature of The Giant Gila Monster and The Killer Shrews. They will be brand new 4K remasters from 35mm film elements.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Severin is releasing Where Time Began on Blu-ray for the first time. It's another adaptation of Journey to the Center of the Earth but in some ways actually sticks closer to the original novel than it's more famous counterpart. Featuring more monsters and even a giant gorilla (most likely to cash in on the 76 King Kong).

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Very nice. That's going to be yet another definite buy.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the master list, weren't Tentacles and Reptilicus released as a double feature Blu-ray by Shout! Factory / Scream Factory? Empire of the Ants was actually released by the same company as a double feature Blu-ray with the film Jaws of Satan.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:59 pm Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the master list, weren't Tentacles and Reptilicus released as a double feature Blu-ray by Shout! Factory / Scream Factory? Empire of the Ants was actually released by the same company as a double feature Blu-ray with the film Jaws of Satan.
Once again:
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:41 am The individual (Tentacles) Blu-ray release from Kino makes the double feature from Shout irrelevant. I don't list every single release, just the best ones.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:35 am
mikelcho wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:59 pm Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the master list, weren't Tentacles and Reptilicus released as a double feature Blu-ray by Shout! Factory / Scream Factory? Empire of the Ants was actually released by the same company as a double feature Blu-ray with the film Jaws of Satan.
Once again:
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:41 am The individual (Tentacles) Blu-ray release from Kino makes the double feature from Shout irrelevant. I don't list every single release, just the best ones.
Sorry, I looked again and found out I had mistaken the MGM DVD for the Shout! Factory / Scream Factory Blu-ray. That one's on me.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Raven Banner's Blu-ray release of Shin Ultraman should be included here.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Yeah I'm definitely getting that. Not wasting my time with the shitty Cleopatra release.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:14 pm Severin is releasing Where Time Began on Blu-ray for the first time. It's another adaptation of Journey to the Center of the Earth but in some ways actually sticks closer to the original novel than it's more famous counterpart. Featuring more monsters and even a giant gorilla (most likely to cash in on the 76 King Kong).
Actually, in the novel Journey to the Center of the Earth, chapters 37-39 sometimes include extra material involving prehistoric creatures, including Axel. the novel's narrator, watching a fight between two such creatures; one he calls the Shark-Crocodile and the other he calls both the Ape Gigans (twice) and the Antediluvian Gorilla (once). The first one is a crocodile with shark-like teeth and the second one is a 15-foot-tall ape that looks like a gorilla. The whole incident turns out to be a dream of Axel's. This extra material was added into the novel later as part of a revised edition of it published in 1867.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:40 pm, edited 11 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just ordered it, but the actual title of the film on the Blu-ray's cover sleeve is Journey to the Center of the Earth, not Where Time Began.