Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Post by LegendZilla »

When was it officially confirmed that Anguirus and Rodan were supposed to be in the game?

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Post by The Godzilla King »

That was back in 2015. I found the code on a Japanese website however so other people have known about it long before then. But technically it was never "officially" confirmed as none of the developers have ever actually confirmed it themselves.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Are the odds that The developers of the game will deny the inclusion of Anguirus and Rodan?

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

They really can't deny it. Lol

The sprites and names were found inside the game.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

^^ That pretty much. And besides, why would they feel the need to deny it anyway? I spoke with a game developer for the PSP Battlefront games a few weeks ago and he was perfectly fine with talking about the scrapped content for those games. I imagine the same would go for the developers of this game.
Last edited by The Godzilla King on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

So, I happened to come across an interesting Tweet that suggests that Mothra's Larva form was also supposed to be in the game at some point:

The same Tweet also has this screenshot of Anguirus:

I took another look through both versions of the game and couldn't find anything regarding Mothra Larva, so I guess she never made it very far into development. From what I understand, these images come from the October 1988 issue of some magazine called "Fanroad", so this was two months prior to the game's release in Japan.

My Corns Hurt
Ronin

Post by My Corns Hurt »

That's all pretty amazing.

This is my favorite Godzilla game; I wish someone with game making/ROM hacking skills would expand the game by finishing Rodan and Anguirus and adding new enemies/levels!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

So back at Christmas I dug my old original (as in, the one I got as a kid 30 years ago) NES out of the attic and followed an instructional video on YouTube to refurbish it and get it working like new to give to my kids. I gave them the handful of old games I still had with it, but also hunted down G:MoM. I missed out on a couple of reasonably priced complete games so I wound up putting it together myself by getting a good cartridge, an original instruction booklet, and a reproduction box. It’s been a blast reliving this game with them. I’ve been playing myself from time to time and am all the way to Planet X. If I’m able to beat it, it will be the first time I ever do.

This has been a heck of a nostalgia trip. Finding and renting this game from Blockbuster was my first introduction to Godzilla. I still remember my mom saying “Godzilla? Isnt there a movie about that?” On our next trip to blockbuster I returned the game, found the Godzilla movies, rented the Vestron G:KotM vhs and was hooked into a lifelong fandom. I’m happy to say replaying the game does not disappoint. This is a fantastic NES game!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

It really is, played it for the very first time 4 years ago(?!) and was immediately hooked. Greatly enjoyed the level up system, and how you can bounce back and forth between Godzilla and Mothra to tackle monsters. The only drawback is that the game can feel very drawn out at times, especially as the levels get bigger and you see a lot of the same stages in the same world. Definitely not one of those I could finish in 1 sitting, but at least it has a password system in place.

Also, I preferred playing as Mothra more than Godzilla.
Last edited by GigaBowserG on Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I just love looking for all the easter eggs.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I just love looking for all the easter eggs.
Cool as they are it also kinda makes me wish some of them were bosses. Dogora in particular, imagine possibly loosing to a boss just because it touched you!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I mean that's basically what Gezora does. :lol:
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

This game really does have a unique development history around it, wonder if any of the developers will ever document some of the stuff that was planned for the game. That could be pretty cool

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

ROMG4 wrote:This game really does have a unique development history around it, wonder if any of the developers will ever document some of the stuff that was planned for the game. That could be pretty cool
I know someone found out that Anguirus and Rodan were suppose to be playable characters but for whatever reason the both of them were scrapped. Anguirus, however, can still be hacked into and played with (he replaced Godzilla and for some reason stands up on two legs) and kills the enemy just by ramming into them. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

What? How can you hack and play Angilas?

Also, I beat this game for the first time ever a few days ago. Yay! I really enjoyed the huge text wall detailing the story of what happened after beating the aliens and whatnot. Gave a nice sense of closure I wasn’t expecting from such an old game.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

canofhumdingers wrote:What? How can you hack and play Angilas?
Beats me, ask DylanRocket on YouTube, he was the one who discovered it originally.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Honestly NES Godzilla should have been a skin in the PS4 Godzilla. Just a giant blue pixel art Godzilla with maybe 10 frames of animation when he does something. Like Mr. Game & Watch. :lol:

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I wonder if this game will ever get a remaster/re-release some day on the Nintendo Switch like a lot of other NES games

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ROMG4 wrote:I wonder if this game will ever get a remaster/re-release some day on the Nintendo Switch like a lot of other NES games
Do you mean switch online or another re-release?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

ROMG4 wrote:I wonder if this game will ever get a remaster/re-release some day on the Nintendo Switch like a lot of other NES games
I feel like a remaster of Super Godzilla would be a lot more likely.