My version of the Kiryu series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

My version of the Kiryu series

Post by mikelcho »

Here is my personal version of the Kiryu series with additions to the lists of films and kaiju established by Toho and the director of Godzilla x Mechagodzilla and Godzilla: Tokyo SOS, Maasaki Tezuka. I've included a few other films and TV series to the original lists in the two official books on the subject from Toho that I read about at the end of pg. 60 of the Toho Kingdom Blog in the article Godzilla Millennium Series Continuity (namely Godzilla X Mechagodzilla: Super Complete Works and Godzilla X Mothra X Mechagodzilla: Tokyo SOS Fantastic Collection), so please let me know what you think. The Blog's page number, of course, is subject to change at any time. The Japanese versions of all the films and TV series in this story line that were made by Toho are the ones used here, obviously.

*Godzilla (1954 (Japanese first version))
*The Invisible Man (1954 (Toho version))
*Half Human (1955; this is the banned and unedited Japanese version and not the dubbed and horribly re-edited U.S. version, of course)
*Rodan (1956)
*The Mysterians (1957)
*The H-Man (1958)
*Varan (1958)
*Battle in Outer Space (1959)
*The Secret of the Telegian (1960)
*The Human Vapor (1960)
*Mothra (1961)
*Gorath (1962 (according to Wikizilla (btw, they had this statement listed and then deleted it), the actual story in this series is an alternate version that takes place in 1962 instead of sometime in the late 1970s to early 1980s and where the Moon isn't destroyed by the rogue planet Gorath passing by it and causing it to shatter into pieces (see their thread "List of Godzilla film continuities" for further details on another list of the Kiryu series))
*Matango (1963)
*Atragon (1963)
*Dogora (1964)
*Frankenstein vs. Baragon (1965 (the version with the Giant Octopus at the end of it, just like the Blog article says, and again, according to Wikizilla, the main story in this film actually takes place in 1965 (20 years after the atomic bombing of Hiroshima in 1945), not in 1960 and then in 1951 (15 and 16 years after that same incident), as is stated in the film))
*The War of the Gargantuas (1966 (this film, IMO, also includes the Giant Octopus, despite what the Blog article says))
*King Kong Escapes (1967 (Mechani-Kong, IMO, is included here, again despite what the Blog article says))
*The Vampire Doll (1970)
*Space Amoeba (1970)
*Lake of Dracula (1971)
*Evil of Dracula (1974)
*the unreleased-as-a-film first appearance of Kamoebas II on Guam (1987 (see Godzilla: Tokyo SOS for a reference to this event))
*GODZILLA (1998 (American second version))
*Godzilla: The Series (1998-2000; 40 episodes (this animated TV series had no definitive ending; instead, the 40th episode left enough room for more TV seasons and episodes which, unfortunately for us G-fans, were never made and almost certainly never will be))
*Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)
*Godzilla: Tokyo SOS (2003)
*The Gransazers (2003-2004; 51 episodes and three OVT (Original Video Tokusatsu) specials - The Gransazers: Official Super Technique Video (2003), The Gransazers: Official Super Mecha Video (2003) and The Gransazers: Super Battle Memory (2005))
*The Justirisers (2004-2005; 51 episodes and three OTV specials - The Justirisers: Secret Release DVD (2004), The Justirisers: Three Great Warriors - Super Secret DVD (2004) and The Justirisers: Super Battle Memory (2005))
*Super Fleet Sazer-X (2005-2006; 38 episodes, one OTV special - Super Fleet Sazer-X: Legendary Fighting Secrets - Public Release (2005) and one theatrical film - Super Fleet Sazer-X the Movie (2005)).

As you can see, I've included a few human-sized and large (though not giant) monsters, aliens and mutants to the series. My major criteria for personal inclusion in said version of the series is that, with a few exceptions (as will be apparent if you've seen all of these films and TV series), the giant monster/man-monster/alien race/mutant mostly appears once and then is killed (if it's organic) or destroyed (if it's a mecha). Once it's dead or destroyed, however, it stays that way. Period. End of story. End of discussion. There are no second versions mysteriously appearing out of nowhere with no explanation as to how they're even there in the first place or where they came from (which, IMO, was one of the problems with the Showa Godzilla series after Son of Godzilla, which was the last film to have stuck with the established continuity (this continuity, admittedly, was pretty much scrapped when both Destroy All Monsters was released and the original Toho concept of Monster Island was introduced)). Godzilla II, however (who, according to this series, first appeared in 1999, 45 years after Godzilla I was killed in 1954, then returned in 2003 and then both returned again and disappeared in 2004, making a total of 50 years (1954-2004) in honor of the then-upcoming 50th anniversary of Godzilla), is one of the aforementioned few exceptions to this rule in this story line. The other exceptions are Kamoebas II (which was killed by Godzilla II in 2004, 17 years after its first appearance in 1987) and the Giant Octopus (which was not killed by Gaira the Green Gargantua in 1966 and, apparently, was never seen again after that). Everything else shown here, however, is pretty much both constant and obvious.

For another excellent set of additions to, and another continuation of, the Toho version of the Kiryu series other than what I've made here, go to the Godzilla division in the Movies subsection of the Fanfiction section of www.fanfiction.net and look up a list called "The Kiryuverse Timeline" by our very own SonOfGorgo (his name on that website is H.R.C. Stanley, btw). The last time I looked, it was on pg. 19 but, of course, that's also subject to change at any time. You'll just have to look and see for yourself. IMO, though, both his list and mine possibly could be hybridized with the lists in the two official Toho books mentioned above, give or take a little bit of effort. For yet another list of the series, see the Wikizilla thread I've mentioned above.

The actual order of the 40 episodes of Godzilla: The Series is, of course, the official order of occurrence, not the original U.S. TV broadcast order. For an official list of the first order, see the cover article in G-FAN #44 (March-April 2000) or, if you don't have or can't get that issue, get the Mill Creek Entertainment four-disc DVD set Godzilla: The Series - The Complete Animated Series and watch it from beginning to end.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:14 pm, edited 144 times in total.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Re: My version of the Kiryu Saga

Post by SonOfGorgo »

You should include the '98 Gino film in there.
And maybe even Kong: Skull Island, with some changes here and there to better suit the preceding events of Kong Escapes.

Another thing, what are your ideas for the following monsters?:
Anguirus
King Ghidorah
Ebirah
Kumonga
Kamacuras
Gabara
Hedorah
Gigan
Megalon
Jet Jaguar
King Caesar
Titanosaurus
Biollante
Battra
Destoroyah
Dagahra
Orga
Megaguirus
MUTO
Skullcrawlers
Hitodah
Redmoon
Erabus
Hafun
Majin Tuol
Mogu
Deutalios
Bagan
Gigamoth
MechaMothra
Barubaroi
Liopleurodon
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Well, Chouseishin Gransazer is supposed to take place after the events of Tokyo SOS I think, since Professor Chujo appears in it. Even played by the same actor.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

The way I see it, I'm just adding a few extra films to an already-existing list. Now, as far as the other kaiju are concerned, anything between Anguirus and Megaguirus can't be put into the list because most, if not all, of their first appearances involve Godzilla, Mothra or both, and as far as I know how the Saga happened, Godzilla I was killed in 1954 and Godzilla II didn't appear until 45 years later in 1999, thus leaving all of those films out. Likewise, Mothra I, after she first appeared in 1961, didn't return until 2004, when G: Tokyo S.O.S. took place, so that excludes all of those films, including the RoM trilogy. Rodan also can't appear because he'd already been killed, along with his mate, in 1956. Also, I don't think there's any possible way the Monsterverse could be incorporated into the Kiryu Saga, so the MUTOs, Skullcrawlers, etc. are out. Finally, the rest of the kaiju were never made into actual films, so...'nuff said. Godzilla (1998), however, is another story. I think I'll include that one, along with Godzilla: The Series (1998-2000), because then that would be the official sequel to that film and not G: Final Wars. Two questions, though-does Chouseishin Gransazer have an official English name that's used in Japan and what year/years was it released in Japan?
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

mikelcho wrote:The way I see it, I'm just adding a few extra films to an already-existing list. Now, as far as the other kaiju are concerned, anything between Anguirus and Megaguirus can't be put into the list because most, if not all, of their first appearances involve Godzilla, Mothra or both, and as far as I know how the Saga happened, Godzilla 1 was killed in 1954 and Godzilla 2 didn't appear until 1999, thus leaving those films out. Likewise, Mothra, after she first appeared in 1961, didn't return until 2004, when Tokyo S.O.S. took place, so that excludes the ROM trilogy. Rodan also can't appear because he'd already been killed, along with his mate, in 1956. Also, I don't think there's any possible way the Monsterverse could be incorporated into the Kiryu Saga, so the MUTOs, Skullcrawlers, etc. are out. Finally, the rest of the kaiju were never made into actual films, so...'nuff said. Godzilla (1998), however, is another story. I think I'll include that one, along with Godzilla: The Series (1998-2000), because then that would be the sequel to that film and not Final Wars. Two questions, though-does Chouseishin Gransazer have an official English name that's used in Japan and what year/years was it released in Japan?
It doesn't have to be exactly like the films, any monster could appear anywhere and anytime. I mean, according to the established Kiryu timeline, Maguma appeared in 1962, despite the film itself Gorath being set in 1982 and the moon in that was destroyed by the titular asteroid.

Here's my idea if you're curious:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12447678/1 ... e-Timeline

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I have to admit, I looked at your timeline, SofG, and I'm amazed. I never would have been able to think up anything like that if it took me the rest of my life. However, not only did the established Kiryu Saga timeline get Gorath's dates wrong, it also did the same thing with Frankenstein vs. Baragon. Allow me to explain. FvsB started in 1945, when the living heart of the Frankenstein Monster was shipped from somewhere in Germany to Hiroshima, Japan just before the atom bomb was dropped on the city. The rest of the story was said to take place 15 years later, which would've been 1960, not 1965. The established timeline in the movie magazine from Toho used the year of release of both Gorath and FvsB by mistake, not the year of occurrence. Everything else on the list is just fine, as far as I can see.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

mikelcho wrote:I have to admit, I looked at your timeline, SofG, and I'm amazed. I never would have been able to think up anything like that if it took me the rest of my life. However, not only did the established Kiryu Saga timeline get Gorath's dates wrong, it also did the same thing with Frankenstein vs. Baragon. Allow me to explain. FvsB started in 1945, when the living heart of the Frankenstein Monster was shipped from somewhere in Germany to Hiroshima, Japan just before the atom bomb was dropped on the city. The rest of the story was said to take place 15 years later, which would've been 1960, not 1965. The established timeline in the movie magazine from Toho used the year of release of both Gorath and FvsB by mistake, not the year of occurrence. Everything else on the list is just fine, as far as I can see.
To be fair, the Kiryu Saga is an alternative timeline from the Showa era. As I said, the timeline mostly refers to the appearances of the monsters as opposed to the events of the films themselves. It also mentions Oodako in 1965/FvB (the Giant Octopus) yet it never appearing in the actual film itself.

Cheers for the compliment anyway.
Last edited by SonOfGorgo on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Okay, I've put in the Super Star God series, including two movies. Is there any other movies in this series that I've overlooked, especially for The Justirisers?

Added in 8 hours 56 minutes 31 seconds:
SonOfGorgo wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I have to admit, I looked at your timeline, SofG, and I'm amazed. I never would have been able to think up anything like that if it took me the rest of my life. However, not only did the established Kiryu Saga timeline get Gorath's dates wrong, it also did the same thing with Frankenstein vs. Baragon. Allow me to explain. FvsB started in 1945, when the living heart of the Frankenstein Monster was shipped from somewhere in Germany to Hiroshima, Japan just before the atom bomb was dropped on the city. The rest of the story was said to take place 15 years later, which would've been 1960, not 1965. The established timeline in the movie magazine from Toho used the year of release of both Gorath and FvsB by mistake, not the year of occurrence. Everything else on the list is just fine, as far as I can see.
To be fair, the Kiryu Saga is an alternative timeline from the Showa era. As I said, the timeline mostly refers to the appearances of the monsters as opposed to the events of the films themselves. It also mentions Oodako in 1965/FvB (the Giant Octopus) yet it never appearing in the actual film itself.

Cheers for the compliment anyway.
Thanks. I think that you could probably add the part of FvsB that takes place in Hiroshima and thus include a major part to your timeline. Other than that, it's great! I think, however, that since the Oodako was mentioned as being in FvsB, they meant to say that the restored version (with this scene put back in the film in Japan) was the one that was part of the Saga.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

mikelcho wrote:Thanks. I think that you could probably add the part of FvsB that takes place in Hiroshima and thus include a major part to your timeline. Other than that, it's great! I think, however, that since the Oodako was mentioned as being in FvsB, they meant to say that the restored version (with this scene put back in the film in Japan) was the one that was part of the Saga.
Okay. If case you're curious, I created/extended that timeline to use as a basis for some Godzilla fanfics I've planned in mind if you're interested to know about.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I'd love to read your fanfiction; your timetable is tempting enough! The last really good fanfiction I've read was the six-part saga The War Against the Wild Gods by George Thomas, Neal Reabe's four stories and the series Excerpts from "You'll Never Eat this Town for Lunch Again!" The Gamera Autobiography. (I wish I knew who the author of the last one was; I'd like to tell him he's got all the parts of the series on fanfiction.net except for the last one.) These stories, of course, were all from G-Fan back in the days before Toho made J.D. stop printing stories that mentioned their monsters' names. (Kadakowa and all the others seem to have no problem with that, though.) I-i-i-i- miss those days! (By the way, how many Godzilla stories did Neal actually write? I only know of four: three from G-Fan magazine and one that's still on G-Fan's website.)
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

mikelcho wrote:I'd love to read your fanfiction; your timetable is tempting enough! The last really good fanfiction I've read was the six-part saga The War Against the Wild Gods by George Thomas, Neal Reabe's four stories and the series Excerpts from "You'll Never Eat this Town for Lunch Again!" The Gamera Autobiography. (I wish I knew who the author of the last one was; I'd like to tell him he's got all the parts of the series on fanfiction.net except for the last one.) These stories, of course, were all from G-Fan back in the days before Toho made J.D. stop printing stories that mentioned their monsters' names. (Kadakowa and all the others seem to have no problem with that, though.) I-i-i-i- miss those days! (By the way, how many Godzilla stories did Neal actually write? I only know of four: three from G-Fan magazine and one that's still on G-Fan's website.)
Do you wish for me to tell you my ideas here or via Private Message?
Last edited by SonOfGorgo on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Here would be good enough for me.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

mikelcho wrote:Here would be good enough for me.
Alright, so here goes:
Battra vs. Bagan
Set in the 90s. An ancient demon known as Bagan awakens after being dormant for thousands of years, and humanity must find a way to stop this creature before it could potentially dominate Earth. Meanwhile, another ancient creature named Battra, who first appeared in 1959/1960, re-emerges as well. Apparently it's to stop Bagan but no-one's quite sure whether he's friend or foe. Think of this as a remake of Mothra vs. Bagan, but with Battra in Mothra's role.

Godzilla Against Biollante
Set a few years after Tokyo SOS, some scientists experiment with Godzilla's DNA to create a new bio-engineered monster after the fate of Kiryu. But they've created instead soon turns against them, breaks out and reeks havoc across Japan. Meanwhile, an large egg is discovered which reveals to be a baby Godzilla. Soon enough, Godzilla himself breaks free from the remains of Kiryu but is he still a foe or will he save Japan from a greater threat?

Godzilla Against King Kong
Set after Godzilla Against Biollante. The title says it all, Godzilla fights a slightly grown Kong from King Kong Escapes.

Godzilla vs. Mechamothra (AKA Godzilla X Battra X Mechamothra: All-Out Attack)
In order to stop Godzilla once again, the JXSDF build a mechanical clone of the killed Mothra (Mechamothra; codenamed 'Kicho' which translates to 'Machine butterfly'). However, just like with Kiryu, since this mecha contains Mothra cells, it soon malfunctions and turns on humanity. So it's up to Godzilla, Battra and the two Mothra larvae to form an unexpected alliance in order to stop this runamuck machine.

Godzilla Against King Ghidorah
Sort of a semi-remake of GTTHM, IotAM, DAM and GvKG all in one; but set in the Kiryu timeline, and with various alterations to better accommodate this:
The Godzillasaurus would be discovered in the late 60s.
Godzilla wouldn't turn on Japan this time.
Ghidorah would start out as an egg instead of dorats.
Mechaghidorah would be created with the bones of Ghidorah. Which results in a climactic battle reminiscent of Destroy All Monsters.
I'm also thinking about having the JXSDF, having learnt from their past mistakes, instead build an original mecha dubbed 'Moguera'.

Godzilla Against Destoroyah
Think of this as a semi-remake Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, but set in the Kiryu universe.

So those are my ideas so far. What do you think?
Last edited by SonOfGorgo on Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I like them! Go for it! By the way, did you mean to say "semi-remake of" in the last synopsis?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

mikelcho wrote:I like them! Go for it! By the way, did you mean to say "semi-remake" in the last synopsis?
Cheers m8. Oh and your answer your question, yeah.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just thought of something after all this time, SofG. Have you actually written and finished these stories, and if so, are they actually available on something like, say, fanfiction.net? If so, please let me know, as I'd really like to read them, as I've said before.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

mikelcho wrote:I just thought of something after all this time, SofG. Have you actually written and finished these stories, and if so, are they actually available on something like, say, fanfiction.net? If so, please let me know, as I'd really like to read them, as I've said before.
I haven't yet, but I intend to on that very site you mentioned. I might've brought this up before, but I also posted a timeline on there:

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I just thought of something after all this time, SofG. Have you actually written and finished these stories, and if so, are they actually available on something like, say, fanfiction.net? If so, please let me know, as I'd really like to read them, as I've said before.
I haven't yet, but I intend to on that very site you mentioned. I might've brought this up before, but I also posted a timeline on there:
S of G, do you have a different name on fanfiction.net so that when I go looking for these tales, I'll know where to go and what to look for?

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

mikelcho wrote:S of G, do you have a different name on fanfiction.net so that when I go looking for these tales, I'll know where to go and what to look for?
What do you mean? That's my one and only profile. Anything I post will definitely be on there.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I was just thinking that some names on fanfiction.net are not the same on other forums, like this one.