Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by miguelnuva »

Not only is Tokyo massive enough that several kaiju battle can take place but remember the only place that use to get attacked in America was New York for awhile. As for Godzilla the Millennium series probably used Tokyo more because it was a reboot every time. Showa and Heisei moved around a lot more due to continuity.

That map LSD posted also shows how massive the original TOMG final battle was.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:55 pm
That map LSD posted also shows how massive the original TOMG final battle was.
Which map was this?

Edit: Nevermind, it's the one just above me. Ignore me, for I am an idiot.
Last edited by Spuro on Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Baragon has a better design than Anguirus. In terms of looking like a kaiju, anyway. Baragon's weird blend of reptile and mammal, with big, floppy ears, looks more fanciful and Japanese monster-ish than Anguirus' more straightforward dinosaur design. Anguirus actually is quite odd himself with that crocodilian snout, but it doesn't pop the same way.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:55 pm the only place that use to get attacked in America was New York for awhile.
Chicago would like to remind you of the giant grasshoppers, and Washington DC would like to mention Harryhausen's flying saucers.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:25 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:55 pm the only place that use to get attacked in America was New York for awhile.
Chicago would like to remind you of the giant grasshoppers, and Washington DC would like to mention Harryhausen's flying saucers.
Los Angeles would like to remind you of the giant ants. San Francisco would like to remind you of the giant octopus. Las Vegas would like to remind you of the colossal man.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SpiderZilla wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:06 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:25 pm
Los Angeles would like to remind you of the giant ants. San Francisco would like to remind you of the giant octopus. Las Vegas would like to remind you of the colossal man.
New York was not literally the only place it was just the main place used in American kaiju films for a while. Same way a lot of people says Godzilla attacks Tokyo despite alot of Japan being attacked by him.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Is it too much to ask for a little more variety now and then?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I don’t know why you’re complaining. We absolutely get heaps of variety.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:04 pm ^Is it too much to ask for a little more variety now and then?
I doubt you'll find many people who disagree with you. Virtually everyone (I assume?) likes variety and would support kaiju attacks on non-Tokyo locations. We've just been explaining the studios' logic behind using Tokyo as often as they do. It's just the easy, practical thing for them to do. Tradition is probably a factor at this point, too.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I'm going to be honest with everyone, I thought Godzilla did attack other parts of Japan other than the Millennium series which was reboots so it was like he was attacking Tokyo for the first time in the series. The Kiryu saga also makes a good point on why they want to fight in Tokyo because it wasn't finished being rebuilt.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Voyager wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:07 pm I don’t know why you’re complaining. We absolutely get heaps of variety.
Yeah, It's pretty nonsensical. In the Showa and Heisei series there's an incredible amount of variety in locations. The millenium series starts to reuse Tokyo a lot, but it's understandable for reasons stated, and also ignores that those films still have a variety of locations within them.

Not to mention, recent Toho produced media doesn't feature Tokyo so much. Godzilla SP is a globe-trotting adventure, and save for Godzilla appearing in an Archtype-filled terraformed Tokyo, it takes place in a lot of itneresting Japanese locations. The anime trilogy takes place in another far flung terrofrmed and different version of Japan, roughly near the foothills of Mt. Fuji, so there's that.

It's disingenious to keep going on about how there's no variety of locations in the Godzilla films. Forget all the islands (Solgell, Letchi, Ando, Birth), ocean sequences, alien planets and space, foreign locations in DAM/GFW, and different landmarks and areas. Yeah, of course the capital of Japan, is going to be featured in a lot Japanese films. It's really not rocket science.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Perhaps LegendZilla is mistaking other parts of Japan for Tokyo?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

StardustGenius wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:07 am Perhaps LegendZilla is mistaking other parts of Japan for Tokyo?
I cant think of any other reason this conversation keeps going around in circles.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

A case where perception is reality.

I got another unpopular opinion. Maybe its not unpopular but I think it will move a conversation. I think Masaru Sato was a more diverse and well rounded composer than Akira Ifukube.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

StardustGenius wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:24 am I think Masaru Sato was a more diverse and well rounded composer than Akira Ifukube.
I'm torn on this one. The Ifukube scores, especially Godzilla's theme, are just so iconic. They're the first scores I think of when I think "Godzilla" and even Americans who have never heard the name "Akira Ifukube" or seen a single Godzilla move all the way through tend to be familiar with his Godzilla theme. Were I to be forced to compile my top ten Godzilla scores, at least half of them would be composed by Ifukube and there would probably only be one Sato score in there (Mechagodzilla's theme).

That being said, and as much great music as the maestro composed for this series, I'm tempted to agree that Sato was more diverse and well-rounded. I wouldn't go so far as to say Ifukube's music all sounds the same but I would say that it all sounds similar. I'm struggling to think of a single Ifukube-scored film that has as much range as Son of Godzilla. From the playful Minilla theme to the creepy Kumonga theme, the upbeat main theme to the Kamacuras march, every score on the track sounds completely distinct while still fitting the film perfectly.

Sato's Ebirah and Mechagodzilla scores aren't quite as diverse but they're still pretty impressive. It's been a minute since I watched it but I seem to recall liking his H-Man score a lot as well. The only Sato score I'd call overwhelming is his work on Godzilla Raids Again, and it's still far from bad.

Also, is saying Son of Godzilla has one of the best scores of any Godzilla movie an unpopular opinion? Because put me down for that.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

No, you're right about Son of Godzilla. It IS one of the best Godzilla scores. You can listen to the entire soundtrack on its own and understand what's going on in the movie. That's perfect scoring.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

It's impossible for me to stay objective about Ifukube. His sound is totally one of a kind, imo, and just so unique.
Sato definitely could pull off a bunch of different sounds and vibes. They're both unique and amazing.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I've listened to Sato's score while watching Submersion Of Japan, Battle Of Okinawa, Lupin III (live action Toho movie), and Blue Christmas and its what made me think Sato's just more balanced in terms of musical capability. Ifukube was talented and knew how to make the creatures seem forceful, but I think Sato was a bit more capable of different tones.

For example, if Masaru Sato was brought onboard for The Return Of Godzilla, I am certain we'd get a score that underscores doom. It probably would seem like his score for Submersion Of Japan actually.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Sato's SOG score is a highlight of the film. Each kaiju has a nice theme, going from cute to scary.

I will say that Ifukube has more memorable scores, but Sato is also good.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:09 pm Sato's SOG score is a highlight of the film. Each kaiju has a nice theme, going from cute to scary.
The other great thing about the SoG score is how varied it is. It's not a one trick pony: we get plenty of tense, tight and creepy themes for the Kamacuras and Kumonga, but also get joyous and playful music for Minya. Great battle themes.
I'm torn on this too. I think overall Ikifube's music is the Godzilla, and Toho at large, music. But I can't line up some of the music so well in my mind to what actual moments they represent in the films they are in. I can vividly remember specific scenes of SoG and the music that plays during them in my mind. I can remember the great rumbling battle theme when Godzilla and Minya fight Kumonga in the snow, the creepy theme when Kumonga stalks Goro and Saeko, the panic that sets in when Minya is about to be killed by Kumonga, the idllyic romance theme when Saeko and Goro are swinging around the jungle, etc...I'm not sure if that makes one better than another, just that Sato's music arguably compliments what is being shown better than some of the choices with Ikifube's work.

Here's an unpopular opinion: I prefer Moguera to Mechagodzilla overall, with the exception of maybe the Showa MG incarnation. Showa Moguera is a cool and creepy design, that feels like the epitome of a retro alien robot. It's creepy, menancing, and unique. It's not just a robotic doppleganger like Mechani-Kong or Mechagodzilla. Heisei MOUGERA is cooler than Heisei Mechagodzilla. It's got a utilitarian design I like, and I love how it moves around on it's treads. It's much more mobile, and feels like a real and big bulky machine. While the "face" is controversial, so is the Heisei MG, and at least with Moguera you can see some direct reasons behind the choices made to build a combatative robot. I think it's cool that Heisei Moguera can fly through space, and can seperate into two smaller machines with clear intent. I think it's executed better a machine to directly counter Godzilla than MG is. It's just got a unique design for a robot, and I definitely prefer it to Heisei MG, Kiryu, and the MV MG.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.