Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Executive Hamster »

Nah, its the continuity, suit and character designs, likeable characters, enjoyable stories, fun action, etc. that make the Heisei series the best :D

I swear Toho Kingdom's logic when it comes to these films is so absurd. They are all great series

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

There are likeable characters in the Heisei series?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

The entire godzilla series has its cast of memorable, likeable characters.

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

That is true, if one applies the qualifier of "with the main exception being most of the Heisei series". ;)
Last edited by Fropston on Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Early Heisei definitely has its memorable characters. RoG's prime minister, Shiragami, Miki, that damn Saradian agent, Shindo, M11. It undeniably slips as it goes, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

M-11 and SSS9 aren't memorable for good reasons though. Both cringey Hollywood ripoffs that prove even the early Heisei movies were flawed.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:19 am M-11 and SSS9 aren't memorable for good reasons though. Both cringey Hollywood ripoffs that prove even the early Heisei movies were flawed.
SSS9 is the only reason my older brother watches Godzilla vs Biollante with me. I wouldn't call him in that role cringy.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:10 am
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:19 am M-11 and SSS9 aren't memorable for good reasons though. Both cringey Hollywood ripoffs that prove even the early Heisei movies were flawed.
SSS9 is the only reason my older brother with watxh Godzilla vs Biollante with me. I wouldn't call him in that role cringy.
Wait, what is that supposed to prove?

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I got an unpopular opinion. I brought this up before in the Who Hates Heisei thread, but I don't believe it's been done here.

I think Koichi Kawakita is actually a pretty good sfx director. Also, he was a pretty nice dude.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I don't get why everyone hates M-11. Literally one of the best parts of the movie.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I like the cheese factor of M-11. His android running is pretty strange as a visual, but that's exactly why I appreciate it. I don't hate M-11, but I am not a big fan of his actor, due to his associations with the Right in Japan and in general.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:39 am There are likeable characters in the Heisei series?
We get you hate everything that isn’t Showa but c’mon. There’s plenty and they’ve been stated in this thread already.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Voyager wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:13 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:39 am There are likeable characters in the Heisei series?
We get you hate everything that isn’t Showa...
Can we not post stupid comments like these please?

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:59 pm I don't get why everyone hates M-11. Literally one of the best parts of the movie.
I don't hate M-11, he's good for a laugh. But from a critical standpoint, he's one of the weakest parts of GvKG. He's also out of place in what's otherwise a fairly serious Godzilla movie. In fact, he doesn't really have a point in the movie at all. He was clearly thrown in to capitalize on the popularity of the Terminator movies. Hell, they even picked an actor with a passing resemblance to Robert Patrick (T-1000). The "special" effects in every scene with him are laughable and they bring the movie down a notch.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:20 pm
As if yours is any less stupid. Legion, please, can we not?
For Emperor and Empire!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

GxM is my least favourite Millennium film by a mile.
For Emperor and Empire!

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:20 pm
I think he's got a point, seeing as how quick you were to dismiss him.

I rather like Colonel Gondo, but strangely even more so in the dub. Rik Thomas' voice brings out the jaded SDF officer who not so secretly wants to see shit go down.

I like Aoki, because he's such a dweeb. I think there's likeable characters in the Heisei movies, I just prefer the ones in the Showa films.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Voyager wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:51 pm GxM is my least favourite Millennium film by a mile.
This isn't unpopular at all. I'm starting to think I'm the only one who likes that movie.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:48 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:59 pm I don't get why everyone hates M-11. Literally one of the best parts of the movie.
I don't hate M-11, he's good for a laugh. But from a critical standpoint, he's one of the weakest parts of GvKG. He's also out of place in what's otherwise a fairly serious Godzilla movie. In fact, he doesn't really have a point in the movie at all. He was clearly thrown in to capitalize on the popularity of the Terminator movies. Hell, they even picked an actor with a passing resemblance to Robert Patrick (T-1000). The "special" effects in every scene with him are laughable and they bring the movie down a notch.
THANK YOU
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:58 pm
Voyager wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:51 pm GxM is my least favourite Millennium film by a mile.
This isn't unpopular at all. I'm starting to think I'm the only one who likes that movie.
FW hate is much stronger here.
For Emperor and Empire!