Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Spuro wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:08 pm I’m still 100% onboard that it’s actually Godzilla vs King Ghidorah with the worst script for a Godzilla film. By leaps and fucking miles.

Now THAT’S an unpopular opinion around these parts. :P
I actually think the script for GvKG is pretty good; that and the music. It's everywhere else that the film falls short. Kazuki Omori's direction definitely isn't as tight here as it was in GvB, and even then I'm of the opinion he was a better writer than director. Yoshio Tsuchiya aside, the cast does nothing for me. The effects work is hit and miss, with more glaring misses, setting an unfortunate trend that the Heisei series never escaped. All the M-11 stuff and the American actors in general are pretty cringe.

The script is pretty solid, though. Lots of ambitious ideas, even if they're not all executed perfectly onscreen. I used to hate time travel but I've been warming to it recently, and it's softened my former disdain for GvKG. Now, I wouldn't call it one of the all-time great Godzilla scripts but I certainly wouldn't throw it in the same dumpster as GvSG.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

StardustGenius wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:05 pm Destoroyah's a dick and a huge sadist. Tanks a bunch of blasts that one shot Mechagodzilla and Spacegodzilla, and pretty wild in his rampage. vs Destoroyah falls short of things, but not in its titular monster. He's a beast. Way more menacing that Spacegodzilla for sure
SG is more overpowered than menacing.

Destroyah is more cruel and deadly. It came close to killing Junior, and that wasn't its most powerful form.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

In GvD, I feel Godzilla is a lot more threatening than his foe.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Voyager wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:45 pm In GvD, I feel Godzilla is a lot more threatening than his foe.
Even the Japanese poster gives this same vibe. It shows Godzilla towering over the world in the background, while Destoroyah stands front and center. Hell, even Junior is portrayed looming over the crab devil behind him.
Resized Image
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Adding onto this more, had Godzilla's temperature not been lowered, Earth would have been dead right off the bat. Either it would've outright be covered in a giant nuclear explosion, or it folds into itself by Godzilla's body melting into its core.

Destoroyah winning would've been really bad too (considering his beam attack erases oxygen, you could probably make a good guess that his entire existence would've erased all 02 on the planet given enough time), but at least there would still be a chance humanity could learn his temperature weaknesses and come up with a way to fight back.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:35 pm Adding onto this more, had Godzilla's temperature not been lowered, Earth would have been dead right off the bat. Either it would've outright be covered in a giant nuclear explosion, or it folds into itself by Godzilla's body melting into its core.

Destoroyah winning would've been really bad too (considering his beam attack erases oxygen, you could probably make a good guess that his entire existence would've erased all 02 on the planet given enough time), but at least there would still be a chance humanity could learn his temperature weaknesses and come up with a way to fight back.
I thought Earth only gets saved because JR absorbs the radiation or was that just Tokyo he saves.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:40 pm
Gigantis wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:35 pm Adding onto this more, had Godzilla's temperature not been lowered, Earth would have been dead right off the bat. Either it would've outright be covered in a giant nuclear explosion, or it folds into itself by Godzilla's body melting into its core.

I thought Earth only gets saved because JR absorbs the radiation or was that just Tokyo he saves.
As far as the film's context is concerned, it really doesn't matter.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Going forward in both Toho-produced Godzilla films and the MonsterVerse, I'd honestly rather see original kaiju than revivals of more classics. A mix of both is ideal and that's what the MV has been doing; problem is, the new kaiju tend to be relegated to minor roles while the classic kaiju get to play the starring roles. MV Ghidorah was great but MV Mechagodzilla was just okay. Remember the "World Serpent" rumors about GvK? I wish that'd been true instead of a forcibly inserted new MechaG.

I totally underrated the MUTOs when G14 first came out, they were one of the best parts of the film. I'd love to see more novel creations like the MUTOs in "big bad" roles in future MV films. I'd also love to see Toho whip up some cool new kaiju to flesh out their already-impressive roster.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:33 pm Remember the "World Serpent" rumors about GvK? I wish that'd been true instead of a forcibly inserted new MechaG.
Ehh, I agree that I'd love to see new kaiju but I'm glad that rumor turned out to be false. A snake so large it's literally the size of the goddamn Earth would not only be seriously hard for Godzilla or Kong to have a proper fight with, but also be seriously tough to properly coreograph. There's not a whole lot you can do with serpent kaiju (not counting dragons like Ghidorah.. most of the time) other than have them bite, constrict, or have them spit venom/have them fire a beam weapon if they have one, and you'd have a hard time even doing that if you have it fight characters that are so small compared to it it would logically just pop them like gore balloons.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:33 pm Going forward in both Toho-produced Godzilla films and the MonsterVerse, I'd honestly rather see original kaiju than revivals of more classics. A mix of both is ideal and that's what the MV has been doing; problem is, the new kaiju tend to be relegated to minor roles while the classic kaiju get to play the starring roles.
^This. It's never a crime to ask for more variety

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:35 pm
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:33 pm Remember the "World Serpent" rumors about GvK? I wish that'd been true instead of a forcibly inserted new MechaG.
Ehh, I agree that I'd love to see new kaiju but I'm glad that rumor turned out to be false. A snake so large it's literally the size of the goddamn Earth would not only be seriously hard for Godzilla or Kong to have a proper fight with, but also be seriously tough to properly coreograph. There's not a whole lot you can do with serpent kaiju (not counting dragons like Ghidorah.. most of the time) other than have them bite, constrict, or have them spit venom/have them fire a beam weapon if they have one, and you'd have a hard time even doing that if you have it fight characters that are so small compared to it it would logically just pop them like gore balloons.
It wasn't going to be world size. It was suppose to be twice as tall as Godzilla and like 1 mile long in the rumors.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Would’ve been cool to see a serpent moving like biomechanical coils slowly tightening around Kong and Godzilla, like a Dark Souls or God of War boss. With the event being so grandiose that the human characters can’t even play a part in saving either kaiju.

With Kongs axe being swallowed and glowing throughout the body of the beast, while also being the ex machina needed to dismember the serpent.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:38 pm It wasn't going to be world size. It was suppose to be twice as tall as Godzilla and like 1 mile long in the rumors.
Ah, that makes things a bit easier. Still, I feel like the choreography thing would still be a problem regardless.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:33 pm Going forward in both Toho-produced Godzilla films and the MonsterVerse, I'd honestly rather see original kaiju than revivals of more classics. A mix of both is ideal and that's what the MV has been doing; problem is, the new kaiju tend to be relegated to minor roles while the classic kaiju get to play the starring roles. MV Ghidorah was great but MV Mechagodzilla was just okay. Remember the "World Serpent" rumors about GvK? I wish that'd been true instead of a forcibly inserted new MechaG.
All of the Monsterverse original monsters have had strong designs. I've ragged on about this before, but both the MUTOs and Skullcrawlers, already fit nicely in the pantheon of "Godzilla monsters". Behemoth and Scylla are decent for what they are (monsters to up the monster count), but it has been the trend since KOTM at least to focus more heavily on Toho monsters. That's fine...but give us a new big bad primary antagonist that's completely original. Audiences are already drawn to Kong and Godzilla. Swapping in or including an old Toho creature, while neat, also doesn't really matter to fans that aren't already diehard Toho fantatics.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Voyager wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:45 pm In GvD, I feel Godzilla is a lot more threatening than his foe.
I think this is actually a vital part of the film.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:39 pm
I think this is actually a vital part of the film.
It pretty much IS the film.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:12 pm
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:33 pm Going forward in both Toho-produced Godzilla films and the MonsterVerse, I'd honestly rather see original kaiju than revivals of more classics. A mix of both is ideal and that's what the MV has been doing; problem is, the new kaiju tend to be relegated to minor roles while the classic kaiju get to play the starring roles. MV Ghidorah was great but MV Mechagodzilla was just okay. Remember the "World Serpent" rumors about GvK? I wish that'd been true instead of a forcibly inserted new MechaG.
All of the Monsterverse original monsters have had strong designs. I've ragged on about this before, but both the MUTOs and Skullcrawlers, already fit nicely in the pantheon of "Godzilla monsters". Behemoth and Scylla are decent for what they are (monsters to up the monster count), but it has been the trend since KOTM at least to focus more heavily on Toho monsters. That's fine...but give us a new big bad primary antagonist that's completely original. Audiences are already drawn to Kong and Godzilla. Swapping in or including an old Toho creature, while neat, also doesn't really matter to fans that aren't already diehard Toho fantatics.
In fairness, MonsterVerse least creates new monsters. Salunga was the newest Toho original creation in 17 years (And that's if you consider Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah fully an "original" monster)

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

godjacob wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:28 pm In fairness, MonsterVerse least creates new monsters. Salunga was the newest Toho original creation in 17 years (And that's if you consider Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah fully an "original" monster)
You forgot the servum from the anime trilogy. But that's understandable. They were forgettable.

Also Salunga wasn't a new monster really, it was just a redesigned and renamed Gabara.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Spuro wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:51 pm
godjacob wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:28 pm In fairness, MonsterVerse least creates new monsters. Salunga was the newest Toho original creation in 17 years (And that's if you consider Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah fully an "original" monster)
You forgot the servum from the anime trilogy. But that's understandable. They were forgettable.

Also Salunga wasn't a new monster really, it was just a redesigned and renamed Gabara.
If Salunga is not counted as new I'd say Mc and Kezier aren't as well.

I think it's splitting hairs at that point.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Spuro wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:51 pm

I treat the servum like the swarm of Legion in more of an extension of a monster rather than one itself.