Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Voyager »

My average for the Godzilla movies is a 6/10, whilst the Gamera movies average at around 4/10.
For Emperor and Empire!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Damn. My averages for Godzilla are much higher. Though I know Im an exception in that I dont "dislike" any Godzilla films.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

My chart if you wanna give a gaze;

For Emperor and Empire!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I don’t think it’s fair to compare the Godzilla series in its entirety to a focused trilogy.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:30 pm I don’t think it’s fair to compare the Godzilla series in its entirety to a focused trilogy.
I compared all Godzilla films to all Gamera films so I think that’s fair.
For Emperor and Empire!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Voyager wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:43 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:30 pm I don’t think it’s fair to compare the Godzilla series in its entirety to a focused trilogy.
I compared all Godzilla films to all Gamera films so I think that’s fair.
Not sure if that’s fair either lol but yeah I get your point. I wasn’t coming at you or anything just making a general observation.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla clears all rounds to because at the end if the day he just out numbers Gamera too much.

Ganera trilogy is great o me as a fan for example but as I said before I personally feel there are 4 Hesie Godzilla films that can challenge the trilogy.

Shiwa is no contest and GTB is one film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yeah, I'm sorry. No Heisei Godzilla film touches 90s Gamera, either as individual films or as a complete trilogy.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:29 pm Yeah, I'm sorry. No Heisei Godzilla film touches 90s Gamera, either as individual films or as a complete trilogy.
Id have to disagree with you, case(s) in point being ROG and GvB. I’m not seeing how the Gamera films are so much better than either of these films that they deserve to considered a whole tier above them.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I like Godzilla vs Biollabe and G84 but people have called the Gamera trilogy the greatest Japanese monster movies of all time for a reason.

I know most of us are hardcore Godzilla fanboys first and foremost but let's not he ridiculous here.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I LOVE the Heisei Gamera series, but I don’t think it’s leagues above the two films I mentioned.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:25 pm I like Godzilla vs Biollabe and G84 but people have called the Gamera trilogy the greatest Japanese monster movies of all time for a reason.

I know most of us are hardcore Godzilla fanboys first and foremost but let's not he ridiculous here.
*Some people have called them that, and mostly in an echo chamber to be frank. Repeating what I said earlier, I've shown the films to people who hadn't seen them before and I've seen opinions range widely. I've also seen opinions range drastically online. I like the trilogy and think of it quite highly, but let's not thumb our noses at people who don't share that opinion.

Honestly, finding Godzilla fans who aren't also fans of the Gamera trilogy would be near impossible as the "Gamera Fandom" is essentially one in the same with the Godzilla fandom.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I would also argue Gojira has been referenced as the greatest Kaiju film many times, most likely far more than the Heisei Gamera series.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Holding any kaiju film on such a high pedestal isn’t great in my opinion. Gamera or Godzilla, or otherwise even.
For Emperor and Empire!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Why? Because they’re not Citizen Kane? What if you’re not interested in Citizen Kane? If Kaiju is your favorite genre, why should you not hold Kaiju films in high regard?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:22 pm Why? Because they’re not Citizen Kane? What if you’re not interested in Citizen Kane? If Kaiju is your favorite genre, why should you not hold Kaiju films in high regard?
I don’t think it’s good to hold any film so high as to absolve it if criticism. Also, not sure where you got Citizen Kane from. I’m not trying to offend anybody -_-
For Emperor and Empire!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Voyager wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:24 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:22 pm Why? Because they’re not Citizen Kane? What if you’re not interested in Citizen Kane? If Kaiju is your favorite genre, why should you not hold Kaiju films in high regard?
I don’t think it’s good to hold any film so high as to absolve it if criticism. Also, not sure where you got Citizen Kane from. I’m not trying to offend anybody -_-
You didn’t offend me lol, I was being slightly obtuse. I don’t think films are above criticism either. I thought you were just implying that Kaiju films were just a lower form of art or something like, or not on the same tier as certain other genres of “drama,” arguments that are commonly made. My bad.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I just think that the unironic film worship some users here display is a bit much.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Singular Point would've worked better as a Jet Jaguar solo series and leave Godzilla out completely. It's JJ's show that just so happens to have Godzilla in it.