Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I dunno, when I was a kid Showa Gamera was so bad it's good kinda entertainment. I enjoy them more as an adult honestly, which might be a sign that I'm regressing lmao
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:42 pm I mean they’re not THAT bad (for the most part) but they’re still not good movies by any stretch of the imagination
I’ll argue in favor of Gamera vs Barugon being pretty decent, actually.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The OG was a banger
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Barugon and Gyaos are the only ones I can really sit through.
For Emperor and Empire!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Spuro wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:59 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:42 pm I mean they’re not THAT bad (for the most part) but they’re still not good movies by any stretch of the imagination
I’ll argue in favor of Gamera vs Barugon being pretty decent, actually.
I second Gamera vs. Barugon being pretty decent; it's the only Showa Gamera flick that doesn't make me cringe when I'm sober.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Voyager wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:46 pm Barugon and Gyaos are the only ones I can really sit through.
Those are the best of the Showa Gamera, but I also like vs Jiger and vs Zigra. Jiger is a weird movie, but Jiger herself is a great kaiju and I like the Fantastic Voyage angle of the movie. Zigra has an interesting design, and the female lead looks good in a bikini.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:01 pm
Voyager wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:46 pm Barugon and Gyaos are the only ones I can really sit through.
Those are the best of the Showa Gamera, but I also like vs Jiger and vs Zigra. Jiger is a weird movie, but Jiger herself is a great kaiju and I like the Fantastic Voyage angle of the movie. Zigra has an interesting design, and the female lead looks good in a bikini.
I like Zigra, but I can only watch it in parts at a time.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The ending of Zigra is fucking hilarious. The entire "Gamera playing his theme song by hitting Zigra's back like a xylophone and then dancing in joy" is just incredible.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

We can all agree Super Monster is an entirely different level of bad. I wouldn’t even compare it to any other Gamera film. It makes the Polygon trilogy and AMA look like masterpieces.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I watched Barugon, Gurion, Gaos and Zigra as a kid so those 4 are soft spots for me.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Voyager wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:23 pm We can all agree Super Monster is an entirely different level of bad.
I think Super Monster is easily the worst kaiju movie of all time. Only Gappa and Yonggary (if you count it) are nearly as bad, but at least those two fall into "so bad it's good" territory. Super Monster is just so bad it's BAD.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Super Monster is one of very, VERY few movies I've seen that I've given a 0/10 rating to. I'm sure there's a lot out there that's worse, but I don't make a habit of seeking them out.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:46 am
Voyager wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:23 pm We can all agree Super Monster is an entirely different level of bad.
I think Super Monster is easily the worst kaiju movie of all time. Only Gappa and Yonggary (if you count it) are nearly as bad, but at least those two fall into "so bad it's good" territory. Super Monster is just so bad it's BAD.
Which version of Yongary are you talking about here? From the spelling of the name, I'd say it's the 2001 second version, am I right?

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

mikelcho wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:41 pm Which version of Yongary are you talking about here? From the spelling of the name, I'd say it's the 2001 second version, am I right?
I actually meant the 1967 film. I only saw the remake on TV once when I was like 6 and I don't remember it nearly well enough to have an opinion. But I do know it's the lowest rated kaiju movie on IMDb with a whopping 2.6/10 (Super Monster has a 3.6), so it's probably even worse.

Added in 2 minutes 7 seconds:
Spuro wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:13 pm Super Monster is one of very, VERY few movies I've seen that I've given a 0/10 rating to. I'm sure there's a lot out there that's worse, but I don't make a habit of seeking them out.
Most made-for-TV and The Asylum sci-fi/monster movies are as bad or worse but I avoid those like the plague when I'm sober, and occasionally throw them on for a laugh when I know I'll be too drunk to remember. I think the worst film I've ever seen is probably Robot Monster, which makes for great viewing if you want to play "home couch MST3K."
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think it's easy to say Super Monster is the worst mainstream kaiju film. However, it's also the saddest once you learn it's history. Daiei went bankrupt before the film was made and all the previous suits were lost in a fire. Who knows if stock footage heavy approach would have been used if everyting went down that way.

I often forget the film exists, and to me the Showa Gamera series ended with Zigra. I also forget, until I remind myself, that Gamera cannonically dies at the end of the Showa series, which is one of the stupidest things ever.

Yongary (1967) is bad, but I mean, at least it tried.

I agree with Jnavs that the original Gamera film is pretty awesome, the Japanese cut at least. Minus some weird tonal problems with the boy, it establishes and builds tension excellently, the destruction and minature scenes are well done, and Gamera itself is excellently handled. I've seen complaints online that it's in black and white, but I've always thought the film was pretty effective at utilizing that to it's advantage. Some of the fire really glows in the darkness and the entire thing is great.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Spuro wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:14 pm The ending of Zigra is fucking hilarious. The entire "Gamera playing his theme song by hitting Zigra's back like a xylophone and then dancing in joy" is just incredible.
That sounds like the greatest moment in all of cinema and now I REALLY want to watch that.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

And Zigra is just sitting there like a idiot :lol:
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Voyager wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:54 pm And Zigra is just sitting there like a idiot :lol:
Well to be fair, he's pinned to the ground by a large rock stuck to his nose.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:28 pm I agree with Jnavs that the original Gamera film is pretty awesome, the Japanese cut at least. Minus some weird tonal problems with the boy, it establishes and builds tension excellently, the destruction and minature scenes are well done, and Gamera itself is excellently handled. I've seen complaints online that it's in black and white, but I've always thought the film was pretty effective at utilizing that to it's advantage. Some of the fire really glows in the darkness and the entire thing is great.
I don't recall which version I watched, probably the English one since it was on a triple feature with some leech horror movie when I was much, much younger. I'm shocked to hear there are complaints regarding the black and white, I think the BnW approach added a fantastic aesthetic, with the snow and Gamera himself being this dark menacing figure with glowing eyes, and as you said the fire itself, it all really played into the atmosphere.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gamera dragged a sea creature to the surface, trapped it on land then played his theme on his back. That might be more psychopathic than Godzilla running down and Killing Titanosaurus.

Also Super monster gets 1 star just for Gamera going out like a boss.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image