Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:27 pm It certainly wasn't a full-on comedy, but used irony and visual contradiction for satire.

Key comedic memories that always stick with me:
-All the early scientific speculation that is instantly contradicted by direct snapshots of the creature. "It can't get on land!" (proceeds to go on land).
-The helicopters wondering if they should fire, concerned about civilians, and we get that cut to the one elderly lady on the back of some guy evacuating.
-Overly long scenes of asking for approval to do minor things.
-The soba/ramen is cold scene.

It's not that any of these moments are directly "hahaha" funny, and usually have some moral and philosophical questions behind them. However, they seem to be intentionally satirizing attitudes and it's easy to see how someone could find humor from them.
I would add to that the constant, senseless changing of meeting rooms, and the continual on-screen updating of Rando's title.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:27 pm -The soba/ramen is cold scene.
I remember this scene getting quite a reaction in the theater lol
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

This masterpiece of a movie is currently trending on Twitter. :shingodzilla: :shingodzillapurple:
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:19 pm This masterpiece of a movie is currently trending on Twitter. :shingodzilla: :shingodzillapurple:
Any particular reason why?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Probably because of Shin Ultraman.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:44 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:19 pm This masterpiece of a movie is currently trending on Twitter. :shingodzilla: :shingodzillapurple:
Any particular reason why?
Aside from how awesome the movie is, I’m guessing to prepare for Shin Ultraman.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I’m sure it’s been posted here some time before, but I really enjoyed this video critique of shin Godzilla, and I wanted to gauge the forums opinions on them. In general, Accented Cinema argues that Anno’s hyper focus on the bureaucracy with little to no emphasis on the people it directly influences weakens it’s thematic impact, and explains why the film is often accused of being nationalistic, even if it really isn’t.
I don’t fully agree with his points but I do find the discussion he brings up insightful.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

eabaker wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:55 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:27 pm It certainly wasn't a full-on comedy, but used irony and visual contradiction for satire.

Key comedic memories that always stick with me:
-All the early scientific speculation that is instantly contradicted by direct snapshots of the creature. "It can't get on land!" (proceeds to go on land).
-The helicopters wondering if they should fire, concerned about civilians, and we get that cut to the one elderly lady on the back of some guy evacuating.
-Overly long scenes of asking for approval to do minor things.
-The soba/ramen is cold scene.

It's not that any of these moments are directly "hahaha" funny, and usually have some moral and philosophical questions behind them. However, they seem to be intentionally satirizing attitudes and it's easy to see how someone could find humor from them.
I would add to that the constant, senseless changing of meeting rooms, and the continual on-screen updating of Rando's title.
Along with that, when Japan reached out to the USA for assistance, the USA sent them an "American strategy" which consisted of America bombing virtually all of Tokyo except the American embassy.

The humor is definitely less "pie in your face" and more "cue stick to the nuts", and I love it.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:21 am I’m sure it’s been posted here some time before, but I really enjoyed this video critique of shin Godzilla, and I wanted to gauge the forums opinions on them. In general, Accented Cinema argues that Anno’s hyper focus on the bureaucracy with little to no emphasis on the people it directly influences weakens it’s thematic impact, and explains why the film is often accused of being nationalistic, even if it really isn’t.
I don’t fully agree with his points but I do find the discussion he brings up insightful.
To be honest, as somebody who enjoys Accented Cinema, I feel like they really missed the mark on this one. They sound a bulk of the runtime complaining about what sets Shin Godzilla apart. You see the movie through the lens of the people tasked with protecting the people of Japan, and you feel it when they fail because of ineptitude and bickering.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I know that it's an unpopular opinion on this site, but considering how many years have passed since this movie came out in which we've been mildly flooded with Godzilla content and yet nothing else has come close to being even a quarter as good, heck a sixth as good as Shin so I really do still think that the best thing Toho could do is make a sequel.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Vakanai wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:59 pm I know that it's an unpopular opinion on this site, but considering how many years have passed since this movie came out in which we've been mildly flooded with Godzilla content and yet nothing else has come close to being even a quarter as good, heck a sixth as good as Shin so I really do still think that the best thing Toho could do is make a sequel.
I can only imagine what real-world societal problem they’d satirize with it. There’s so many to choose from.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:22 am
Vakanai wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:59 pm I know that it's an unpopular opinion on this site, but considering how many years have passed since this movie came out in which we've been mildly flooded with Godzilla content and yet nothing else has come close to being even a quarter as good, heck a sixth as good as Shin so I really do still think that the best thing Toho could do is make a sequel.
I can only imagine what real-world societal problem they’d satirize with it. There’s so many to choose from.
I could genuinely see a Shin Godzilla sequel being a Shin Godzilla vs. Shin Ultraman film that, like King Kong vs Godzilla, satirizes the concept of the ‘ol “kaiju crossover brawl” itself.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Wed May 18, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Jermobooka wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:35 am
I could genuinely see a Shin Godzilla sequel being a Shin Godzilla vs. Shin Ultraman film that, like King Kong vs Godzilla, satirizes the concept of the ‘ol “kaiju crossover brawl” itself.
A way to satrize could be that everyone expects Ultraman to destroy Godzilla and save the day, with lots of companies promoting the bets and showing factions of fanboys arguing. Then you find out Ultraman figures out a peaceful solution to Godzilla and humanity coexisting together. Corporations in the background then try to provoke Godzilla into rampaging to make money. Ultraman eventually figures out what's going, leaves earth in frustration and let's humanity deal with the consequences.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

darthzilla99 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:50 am

A way to satrize could be that everyone expects Ultraman to destroy Godzilla and save the day, with lots of companies promoting the bets and showing factions of fanboys arguing. Then you find out Ultraman figures out a peaceful solution to Godzilla and humanity coexisting together. Corporations in the background then try to provoke Godzilla into rampaging to make money. Ultraman eventually figures out what's going, leaves earth in frustration and let's humanity deal with the consequences.
That would be the most Godzilla Earth-sized ‘OOF!’ ever.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Could that happen? Without spoiling the new movie, cause I'm avoiding spoilers, does Shin Ultraman take place in the same world as Shin Godzilla?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:48 pm

Could that happen? Without spoiling the new movie, cause I'm avoiding spoilers, does Shin Ultraman take place in the same world as Shin Godzilla?
Maybe is literally the answer the film makers gave it, so.. take that as your answer i guess lol

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:51 pm

Maybe is literally the answer the film makers gave it, so.. take that as your answer i guess lol
I think that is actually a better way to handle it than giving the audience a definitive answer. Really can't wait to watch this whenever it's available here.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:57 pm
Gigantis wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:51 pm

I think that is actually a better way to handle it than giving the audience a definitive answer. Really can't wait to watch this whenever it's available here.
It seems that both Shinji Higuchi and Anno prefer things being kept that way.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I like the open ended nature of Shin’s ending. I hope it never gets a true sequel. Same for Gamera 3.

I think western culture is uncomfortable with ambiguity in endings….and that’s a shame.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:05 pm I like the open ended nature of Shin’s ending. I hope it never gets a true sequel. Same for Gamera 3.

I think western culture is uncomfortable with ambiguity in endings….and that’s a shame.
For some people, does keeping things vague and ambiguous help to suspend disbelief?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon May 23, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.