The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Terasawa »

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Just mentioning why others in this thread might have differing thoughts on sensitive topics. But it doesn’t really matter since again this isn’t the thread for it.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I vehemently disagree that it's a sensitive topic. To entertain that notion gives credence to the people who (wrongly) think LGTBQ+ people are freaks or just living out some sort of fantasy lifestyle.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:09 pm As someone who doesn’t care which way someone else wants to swing on the pendulum, but open to discussing why people might have differing opinions.

If someone watches a Godzilla film and the main character is a woman transitioning with a beard, or something more visual, in a medium specifically focused on the visual, I feel it’s fair to say it’s going to bring attention regardless.

Many people might have upbringings or lifestyles where they see this as unnatural or superficial, and there are discussions to be had regarding that topic.

But this isn’t the thread for any of that.
I agree that the cringe thread shouldn't be the thread for that because, in fact, being trans isnt cringe.

Though I should mention that generally speaking trans women won't have beards. I won't speak for all of them but most of them try to pass as women. Not that it matters much, but worth mentioning that many people do have a pretty stereotyped image of what a trans person looks like in their head, when in fact its often hard to distinguish them.

I also don't think it should be considered a sensitive topic. LGBT people are normal people, and so many aspects of our culture treat them as something of a spectacle, even if the intentions are good. They are either portrayed as freaks by right wing media or portrayed as special and quirky and against the norm by liberal media, and both of those, whether intentional or not, otherize them. They are normal people and should be portrayed as normal people.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:48 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:09 pm As someone who doesn’t care which way someone else wants to swing on the pendulum, but open to discussing why people might have differing opinions.

If someone watches a Godzilla film and the main character is a woman transitioning with a beard, or something more visual, in a medium specifically focused on the visual, I feel it’s fair to say it’s going to bring attention regardless.

Many people might have upbringings or lifestyles where they see this as unnatural or superficial, and there are discussions to be had regarding that topic.

But this isn’t the thread for any of that.
I agree that the cringe thread shouldn't be the thread for that because, in fact, being trans isnt cringe.

Though I should mention that generally speaking trans women won't have beards. I won't speak for all of them but most of them try to pass as women. Not that it matters much, but worth mentioning that many people do have a pretty stereotyped image of what a trans person looks like in their head, when in fact its often hard to distinguish them.

I also don't think it should be considered a sensitive topic. LGBT people are normal people, and so many aspects of our culture treat them as something of a spectacle, even if the intentions are good. They are either portrayed as freaks by right wing media or portrayed as special and quirky and against the norm by liberal media, and both of those, whether intentional or not, otherize them. They are normal people and should be portrayed as normal people.
You’re absolutely right, and I do apologize for calling it a sensitive topic. I just meant that usually in itself it’s a very delicate line of discussion.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:47 pm Kenji Sahara's introduction in King Kong vs. Godzilla has Tadao Takashima wipe Fumiko's lipstick off the former's face. That's pretty bold for these movies. Their romance is also the reason both travel all the way across Japan to find each other; Fumiko also vows they'll stick together despite the looming evacuation -- there's an entire scene devoted to Sakurai's frustrations over their relationship (which was pretty progressive for 1962 Japan).
Also, it is Fujita's emotional reaction to Fumiko's peril that inspires a key element of the movie's resolution (by reminding Sakurai of the natives' dancing).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Sakurai also makes me think of Fuji. Both men are overprotective of their sisters and have concerns over their suitors. And then you have Shindo between the two, who seems to enjoy making fun of his sister's possible romance with the scientist.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

It’s not Godzilla specifically, but…

eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Spuro wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:37 am It’s not Godzilla specifically, but…

I don't know much about this game, but I think it's pretty cute.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Spuro wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:37 am It’s not Godzilla specifically, but…

Eh, I see this as more harmless than anything.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It looks like a cute little game. I've seen worse things in this topic.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Also a fun pun. kaiju is monster. Chu is an onomatopoeia for kiss in Japanese. Kaichu is a brilliant name.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I think it's pretty cringe when certain old school fans insistently refer to the Showa Godzilla films by their American release names. Pretty much no one still refers to "Godzilla vs. Gigan" as "Godzilla on Monster Island," for example, but I've met some older fans at G-Fest and whatnot who are adamant about it and don't seem to like it when I use the international titles.

Speaking of G-Fest, I went to a panel with J.D. Lees once and someone else kept saying "Invasion of Astro-Monster" and he would immediately "correct" them by saying "Monster Zero." I get doing that once for the benefit of people who don't know the international titles but by the third time it got really annoying. Monster Zero is one of the few cases where I actually prefer the American title but I'm not gonna get irritable when someone calls it by its international name.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I think we've moved past needed to use titles like Gigantis the Fire Monster, Godzilla vs the Thing, Godzilla vs the Smog Monster, Godzilla on Monster Island or Godzilla vs the Cosmis Monster.

But I have a really hard time with Invasion of Astro Monster, Ebirah Horror of the Deep and All Monsters Attack. Especially the latter two. The first one wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so grammatically awful.

Also, I hope whoever picks up the Heisei series next jettisons The Battle For Earth and just simplifies it to Godzilla vs Mothra.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:12 am But I have a really hard time with Invasion of Astro Monster, Ebirah Horror of the Deep and All Monsters Attack. Especially the latter two. The first one wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so grammatically awful.
I completely agree on these three, they're the only Showa films where I tend to use the American title (although I often just say "Godzilla vs. Ebirah"). The irony is that "Godzilla on Monster Island" would be a pretty decent title for AMA. I find AMA most confusing because it's so similar to "Destroy All Monsters."

In general, I don't care what titles people prefer to use, it only bugs me when a boomer suddenly gets insistent that it's called "Godzilla vs. Bionic Monster" and not "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla."
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:12 am I think we've moved past needed to use titles like Gigantis the Fire Monster, Godzilla vs the Thing, Godzilla vs the Smog Monster, Godzilla on Monster Island or Godzilla vs the Cosmis Monster.

But I have a really hard time with Invasion of Astro Monster, Ebirah Horror of the Deep and All Monsters Attack. Especially the latter two. The first one wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so grammatically awful.

Also, I hope whoever picks up the Heisei series next jettisons The Battle For Earth and just simplifies it to Godzilla vs Mothra.
In the case of the third one, I couldn't agree with you more. IMO, Sony should've called it Godzilla vs. Mothra: The Battle for Earth. That way, everyone would be happy. Unfortunately, we're not playing "should've"s.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

At least an English language, on screen title for Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla exists. That legitimizes it. But there has never been a movie with an on screen English title called All Monsters Attack. And it clear that's one of the reasons Toho is trying bury the American versions - the erase those titles.

The easiest ways to find these movies are on the Criterion Collection, airing on Comet TV, streaming on HBO Max and watchable legally for free on Youtube. All use the same Toho prints. An entire generation is going to grow up not realizing English language titles and credits for the Showa films even exist.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:28 am An entire generation is going to grow up not realizing English language titles and credits for the Showa films even exist.
Eh, I doubt that. The generation in question lives on the internet, and pretty well anyone who becomes an actual fan is going to look into online info on the movies and discover the English titles that way.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Perhaps, but will it really matter much to them if those versions aren't actually out there abd easily found? Even if they know about them I wonder if future generations are even going to care.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:11 pm Perhaps, but will it really matter much to them if those versions aren't actually out there abd easily found? Even if they know about them I wonder if future generations are even going to care.
Most probably won't. I'm not going to lie and say it's a big deal; they have easy access to the original Japanese versions of the movies, and that's what counts. But it's definitely sad that they'll have a diminished experience as fans, never getting to see the movies the way the first generations of American fans did.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio