The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:17 pm
GodzillavsZilla wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:02 pm
Pretty much every Godzilla movie is about
a man and a woman getting together...
Just going off the showa era, King Kong vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Destroy all Monsters, Godzilla's Revenge, Godzilla vs Hedorah, Godzilla vs Gigan, Godzilla vs Megalon and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla don't feature a hint of romance, so....
Pretty much all of these have either hints or actual established couples except, debatably, Sea Monster and Megalon. They don't entirely focus on the romance, but they are there.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GodzillavsZilla wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:02 pm There's a comic where a straight couple have sex while Godzilla destroys their city
I don’t remember THIS comic. Was this in Kingdom of Monsters? Sounds like Kingdom of Monsters.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

GodzillavsZilla wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:08 pm
GodzillavsZilla wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:02 pm
Pretty much every Godzilla movie is about
a man and a woman getting together...
Just going off the showa era, King Kong vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Destroy all Monsters, Godzilla's Revenge, Godzilla vs Hedorah, Godzilla vs Gigan, Godzilla vs Megalon and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla don't feature a hint of romance, so....
Pretty much all of these have either hints or actual established couples except, debatably, Sea Monster and Megalon. They don't entirely focus on the romance, but they are there.
Have you SEEN these lately?

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:12 pm
GodzillavsZilla wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:08 pm

Have you SEEN these lately?
I know absolutely for damned sure there are couples in these movies, I might not have seen them in a while, but I do know these movies, I even had a friend jog my memory, I fucking know there are couples in them. Again, they might not be focused on, but that doesn't mean they just do not exist.

How is there not a couple in King Kong vs Godzilla or Godzilla vs Gigan when the characters themselves establish and say they're together, as a couple, romantically involved?
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
On my wall. ;)
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

You said, and I quote, "Pretty much every Godzilla movie is about a man and a woman getting together", which isn't true for most of these movies. That implies there's a romantic element in all of these movies far beyond "Oh, those two characters are a couple". So while Gengo and his girlfriend are characters in Godzilla vs Gigan, the movie definitely isn't about "a man and a woman getting together". In fact, the ONLY Showa Godzilla movie I can think of where two people meet, get together and STAY together is Son of Godzilla.

So....
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:30 pm You said, and I quote, "Pretty much every Godzilla movie is about a man and a woman getting together", which isn't true for most of these movies. That implies there's a romantic element in all of these movies far beyond "Oh, those two characters are a couple". So while Gengo and his girlfriend are characters in Godzilla vs Gigan, the movie definitely isn't about "a man and a woman getting together".

So....
Ok, you got me there, my bad man. Poor wording on my part.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
On my wall. ;)

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kenji Sahara's introduction in King Kong vs. Godzilla has Tadao Takashima wipe Fumiko's lipstick off the former's face. That's pretty bold for these movies. Their romance is also the reason both travel all the way across Japan to find each other; Fumiko also vows they'll stick together despite the looming evacuation -- there's an entire scene devoted to Sakurai's frustrations over their relationship (which was pretty progressive for 1962 Japan).

The relationship between Sakai and Junko in Mothra vs. Godzilla is much less overtly romantic in the traditional sense, but it's certainly not only platonic. It's all over the movie, beginning with the scene where they're decontaminated at Pf. Miura's lab.

I mean, these may not be movies about characters falling in love, but to say there's not a hint of romance in any of the listed films isn't correct. But anyway, I think the most important point is that nearly every Godzilla movie has had characters in defined non-platonic relationships. To go back to the original point of debate, a pride flag is not necessarily anymore a sign of sexuality (i.e. sexual relations) than a heart is. Someone tweeting that the film will "be gay" isn't necessarily a call for onscreen sex. Gayness isn't exclusively a matter of sexuality, just as "straight romance" isn't. To find it creepy or cringe is hopefully just naive ignorance.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Personally I see people who look at a Pride flag on a Tweet and call it "cringe" to be the ones more cringe if anything. Like seriously, who cares if people post that?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Just restating that I'm not arguing that these movies are or aren't about romance, just that they're definitely not about "a man and a woman getting together".

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I'm on Twitter.

I see a Godzilla convo.

I join in with my two cents, basically doing my schtick about how the 90s films aren't as good as many would have you believe.

Dude decides to belittle me.

He gets upset when I bite back.

I try to have a serious debate about the topic.

Dude continues to belittle me.

Blocks me. :?
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Voyager wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:42 am I'm on Twitter.

I see a Godzilla convo.

I join in with my two cents, basically doing my schtick about how the 90s films aren't as good as many would have you believe.

Dude decides to belittle me.

He gets upset when I bite back.

I try to have a serious debate about the topic.

Dude continues to belittle me.

Blocks me. :?
Just to ask, do you remember his name by any chance? I have a feeling I might have happened across him myself in the past...
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Voyager wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:42 am I'm on Twitter.
This was all you had to say :lol:

Sorry that happened to you, people get offended when something they like is spoken of negatively. You didn't do anything wrong!
Image Image

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Twitter is the one place it seems, where you can say anything, no matter how innocuous, and some turbovirgin will have an issue with it. I hate Twitter with every molecule of my being.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Social media in general. Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, all are shit.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:18 am
Just to ask, do you remember his name by any chance? I have a feeling I might have happened across him myself in the past...
RickDaSquirrel, I believe.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Voyager wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:15 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:18 am
RickDaSquirrel, I believe.
... ... ...yup, I believe I've seen him.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I yearn for the day that people can just see a gay couple or a trans person or anything and not immediately turn it into a big deal. Every single time this happens. Why can gay characters just exist. Why does there always have to be a discussion about it. Straight characters can just exist. Straight characters can even "shove it in the viewers face" how straight they are, but because thats so normalized nobody makes a fuss. Why should this be any different?

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:56 pm I yearn for the day that people can just see a gay couple or a trans person or anything and not immediately turn it into a big deal. Every single time this happens. Why can gay characters just exist. Why does there always have to be a discussion about it. Straight characters can just exist. Straight characters can even "shove it in the viewers face" how straight they are, but because thats so normalized nobody makes a fuss. Why should this be any different?
It’s likely because gay and trans rep, while more mainstream and common than before, is still not fully normalized. There’s also the trouble of writers not knowing how to just weave a gay or trans character into a story, balancing their identity with the character itself without coming off as preachy or “in your face.”
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:56 pm I yearn for the day that people can just see a gay couple or a trans person or anything and not immediately turn it into a big deal. Every single time this happens. Why can't gay characters just exist. Why does there always have to be a discussion about it. Straight characters can just exist. Straight characters can even "shove it in the viewers face" how straight they are, but because thats so normalized nobody makes a fuss. Why should this be any different?
Couldn't have put it better myself.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

As someone who doesn’t care which way someone else wants to swing on the pendulum, but open to discussing why people might have differing opinions.

If someone watches a Godzilla film and the main character is a woman transitioning with a beard, or something more visual, in a medium specifically focused on the visual, I feel it’s fair to say it’s going to bring attention regardless.

Many people might have upbringings or lifestyles where they see this as unnatural or superficial, and there are discussions to be had regarding that topic.

But this isn’t the thread for any of that.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira