The Unused Legendary Monsters Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

The Unused Legendary Monsters Thread

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

So as you may know, in the leaked 2014 trailer and Art of Destruction concept book, revealed a couple of monsters not used in the final film, thought we could discuss those and the many unused MUTO concepts here
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Re: The Unused Legendary Monsters Thread

Post by Young Guy »

Man, it sucks that Godzilla was unused. Replacing him with Aaron Taylor Johnson was a bad move

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Young Guy wrote:Man, it sucks that Godzilla was unused. Replacing him with Aaron Taylor Johnson was a bad move
Oh snap!
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

DaddlerTheDalek
Monarch Researcher

Post by DaddlerTheDalek »

These unused kaijus look really cool.
Tails wrote:You're watching a Poster!

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

DaddlerTheDalek wrote:These unused kaijus look really cool.
The winged one looks dumb, kinda like the Fire Beast in the Hanna Barbera Godzilla cartoon.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

They all look stupid. Give me the updated designs of the Toho monsters or get REALLY creative with new ones. It didn't take much to come up with the monsters they didn't use.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

morgoth wrote:They all look stupid. Give me the updated designs of the Toho monsters or get REALLY creative with new ones. It didn't take much to come up with the monsters they didn't use.
Well, I don't know if Legendary every mentioned it, but that first image is obviously a updated Anguirus. Which begs the question, do they have the rights to that character as well? The idea of Rodan, Mothra and ANGUIRUS being Godzilla's rival in Godzilla 2 sounds exciting and saving Ghidorah for Godzilla vs. Kong.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Cookson wrote:
morgoth wrote:They all look stupid. Give me the updated designs of the Toho monsters or get REALLY creative with new ones. It didn't take much to come up with the monsters they didn't use.
Well, I don't know if Legendary every mentioned it, but that first image is obviously a updated Anguirus. Which begs the question, do they have the rights to that character as well? The idea of Rodan, Mothra and ANGUIRUS being Godzilla's rival in Godzilla 2 sounds exciting and saving Ghidorah for Godzilla vs. Kong.
I like that idea too. Godzilla maybe would save Kong's ass after getting nearly killed by Ghidorah during the fight. It may seem odd but it would be cool to see something different like that.

bczilla91
Monarch Researcher

Post by bczilla91 »

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

bczilla91 wrote:Image
I actually wanted to see that one the most
your source of self destruction

bczilla91
Monarch Researcher

Post by bczilla91 »

Frankly I think this thread is genius. One of my favorite things about movies is all behind the scenes stuff and seeing all the alternate and scrapped ideas they had that could've made for a different movie and those monsters above I did not know were actual designs. I had seen them floating around but just assumed to be fan art. They had some very good ideas with those creatures! I haven't had the chance to read my Godzilla: Art of destruction book but now I have too!

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Cookson wrote:
Well, I don't know if Legendary every mentioned it, but that first image is obviously a updated Anguirus.
It's not though. It's named Rokmutul.

It's about as much of an updated Anguirus as 'Pterodactyl' up there is an updated Rodan. It might be a reference, but it's not an actual update.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

^ I'm sure it was meant to be a small nod to Anguirus and Rodan, but supposedly the specifics for the two monsters going in G14 was that one had to fly, and the other one had to have multiple limbs, so I'm sure they were just starting with something familiar before finalizing on the MUTO

Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

NSZ wrote:
Cookson wrote:
Well, I don't know if Legendary every mentioned it, but that first image is obviously a updated Anguirus.
It's not though. It's named Rokmutul.

It's about as much of an updated Anguirus as 'Pterodactyl' up there is an updated Rodan. It might be a reference, but it's not an actual update.
Its name reminds me of "Hokmuto." I wonder if this was created before the MUTOs were even a concept. It's also peculiar that the name is similar to the working name for the male MUTO. Perhaps its name was modified to be used for the antagonists in the final picture? It could just be a coincidence, but I can't help but notice this similarity.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Underworld54 wrote:
Young Guy wrote:Man, it sucks that Godzilla was unused. Replacing him with Aaron Taylor Johnson was a bad move
Oh snap!
I know!! Looks like we have a young Adam Sandler over here!!!

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Just like it says, apparently an early MUTO.
Lain Of The Wired wrote:^ I'm sure it was meant to be a small nod to Anguirus and Rodan, but supposedly the specifics for the two monsters going in G14 was that one had to fly, and the other one had to have multiple limbs, so I'm sure they were just starting with something familiar before finalizing on the MUTO
Ooh, I'm seeing a lot of Orga influence on that design.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:59 pm So as you may know, in the leaked 2014 trailer and Art of Destruction concept book, revealed a couple of monsters not used in the final film, thought we could discuss those and the many unused MUTO concepts here
All three seem pretty generic.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Did Wingard ever elaborate on what the Swamp Kitty was supposed to be?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Swamp Kitty? I haven't heard about that one.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Lain Of The Wired wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:59 pm Image
I know of Rokmutul and the Pterosaur, but what’s the third one?
Last edited by SonOfGorgo on Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)