Most hated characters in fiction?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Most hated characters in fiction?

Post by JAGzilla »

Sombra provides a reason for the Crystal Empire and Crystal Heart being lost to begin with, and his return provided some fear and tension, and made it urgent that the Heart be found quickly. *shrug* But yes, the story could probably have been done without him, and he was definitely there in part because a villain was expected.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Jetty_Jags wrote:
Mac Daddy MM wrote:
So what you're saying is that its okay for Shinji too be a pathetic human being because he was written to be a pathetic human being to begin with?
When the whole purpose of the story is about a character overcoming their mental burdens to open up, take the risk of being vulnerable and realizing that running away is a harmful coping strategy, .
But he DOESN'T overcome it. He doesn't overcome ANYTHING. Hell, to even further drive home the fact that Shinji is a HORRIBLE person, he jerks off to a comatose Asuka because HE makes her tits fall out. There is not a single redeeming value about the kid. The kid was HANDED everything and he is still a miserable, unbearable fuckhead at worst and perverted asshole at best. Every bad thing that happens to Shinji, the kid absolutely deserves it. Everything.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Mac Daddy MM wrote:
But he DOESN'T overcome it. He doesn't overcome ANYTHING. Hell, to even further drive home the fact that Shinji is a HORRIBLE person, he jerks off to a comatose Asuka because HE makes her tits fall out. There is not a single redeeming value about the kid. The kid was HANDED everything and he is still a miserable, unbearable fuckhead at worst and perverted asshole at best. Every bad thing that happens to Shinji, the kid absolutely deserves it. Everything.
I totally agree that Shinji's character is most despicable during that scene, which follows the shows chronology as this takes place right after he had to kill Kaworu. this isn't justification for his actions, its just a continuation of the trend before it, and still, as you said, is a horrible thing to do. Yet despite this being rock bottom (which continues to deepen until the initiation of the Third Impact) for the character, there's an entire hour and 20 minutes left (45 minutes if you want to argue Third Impact) in the movie whose main focus is to complete this character arch. Its disingenuous to use this as evidence of no growth, because everything before this has been leading him here, and everything after it (Third Impact Onward) is about overcoming this and growing. Shinji is absolutely not the same character at the beginning of the film compared to the end. Where he starts out doing horrible things to his friend, hiding, and letting everyone in the world die while directly fantasizing about murder, the film ends with Shinji rejecting of the Instrumentality utopia/distopia he created, and choosing to not kill Asuka and be vulnerable, which is the opposite of what happens earlier in the film. I understand the movie is not the clearest narrative, but it directly follows the same arch as the tv show's original ending with Shinji starting at his lowest, and finally learning to respect himself. This doesn't mean he's perfect, or even fully healed, but its the pivotal first step of overcoming his hedgehog dilemma allowing him to lead a life he never would have been able to before.

Edit: I'd just like to touch on the comment that he was handed everything which is completely false. Again, there is no justification for his worst actions, but lets not undermine his experiences. His mother left him to be an immortal embodiment of human achievement (I'm still not really sure what that means), his father in the desire to not screw him (Shinji) up decides to actively remove himself (Gendo) from the picture, despite the issues he may already have with the loss of his mother. Furthermore, the only reason he even interacts with his father is to be used by him. He is continually forced to pilot a giant machine which causes him physical pain or else everyone will die. If he pilots it and doesn't win everyone will die, if he chooses not to pilot it he is manipulated/guilt-tripped by his own father threatening the safety of another (often injured) child. Even if he does win he is rarely given any real positive feedback besides empty thanks (which never even come from his father), and he understands that another angel will arrive again to start the process all over again. And the events go on and on over the course of the show, I could further elaborate but the point is he is a very broken individual, further hardened by other broken individuals, he is not "Handed Everything", far from it.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Godzilloci
Samurai

Post by Godzilloci »

As a person Shinji is substandard and as a character he's simply okay. For me it doesn't matter how likeable a character is because in the end I'm just looking for a good story, which Eva kinda is and kinda isn't. I can appreciate the fact that they didn't just recycle the same bland likeable protagonist cliche, at least.

By my understanding, MM has done some pretty shitty things to women in his life, so it's a little funny he's this furious over the immoral actions of a fictional child.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Jetty_Jags wrote:Shinji is absolutely not the same character at the beginning of the film compared to the end. Where he starts out doing horrible things to his friend, hiding, and letting everyone in the world die while directly fantasizing about murder, the film ends with Shinji rejecting of the Instrumentality utopia/distopia he created, and choosing to not kill Asuka and be vulnerable, which is the opposite of what happens earlier in the film.
I'm not quite understanding your thought process here. Shinji is a better person because he doesn't kill Asuka at the end? Am I supposed to be proud that he doesn't kill a person when he has a chance? Especially if said person could very well be the last human female on the face of the planet and killing her would ultimately doom the human race (which, honestly, it would be either way).
Edit: I'd just like to touch on the comment that he was handed everything which is completely false.
Oh yes. He was given EVERYTHING.

He was given praise from his friends.
He was able to live with an undeniable hot woman way out of his league that would no doubt take his virginity.
He was living with a god damn penguin.

And I'm just going to throw this here, because this may be an over simplification, but it stands:

despite the issues he may already have with the loss of his mother.
EVERYONE loses someone. EVERYONE loses their parents sometime. That is no excuse to be a constant, miserable shithead for the rest of your life.
He is continually forced to pilot a giant machine which causes him physical pain or else everyone will die.
That is the only valid argument here. He is "forced" to fight in the Eva. But even before that, as soon as we are introduced to him, the kid is a depressing, lifeless sack. And he just gets worse as women, robots and more kids his age enter his life.
if he chooses not to pilot it he is manipulated/guilt-tripped by his own father threatening the safety of another (often injured) child.
Both Asuka and Rei willingly fought. This was even brought up several times when Asuka virtually told him to grow a pair.

Godzilloci wrote:By my understanding, MM has done some pretty shitty things to women in his life, so it's a little funny he's this furious over the immoral actions of a fictional child.
... Uhh? I'd be more than willing to confirm or deny if you'd like to tell the class what you've heard. I've done my fair share of bad and kinky shit, but never with an unconscious girl or something they didn't know was coming (gigitty).
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Jetty_Jags wrote:Even if he does win he is rarely given any real positive feedback besides empty thanks (which never even come from his father), and he understands that another angel will arrive again to start the process all over again.
What silly kind of justification is this? The kid saves the world on a regular basis. The knowledge of that would be a hell of reward in and of itself for anybody reasonable person. What the hell else does he need? Parades and banquets thrown in his honor?
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: I'm not quite understanding your thought process here. Shinji is a better person because he doesn't kill Asuka at the end? Am I supposed to be proud that he doesn't kill a person when he has a chance? Especially if said person could very well be the last human female on the face of the planet and killing her would ultimately doom the human race (which, honestly, it would be either way).
The ending is more than just not killing Asuka, its about accepting a world where people can hurt each other but also can form genuine human connections. The scene is a direct mirror of the previous scene where Shinji does strangle Asuka, but it's also about letting go of that inward desire to wall oneself in and block others out. Its thematically quite similar to the ending of Fight Club (spoilers), where the protagonist shoots his alter ego, that was really holding him back the entire film. While Shinji was progressing throughout the second half of the movie, the last scene depicts the final death of the parts holding him back. The stubborn last remnant of Shinji's problematic mindset is finally overcome as he lets Asuka embrace him, stops choking her, and cries (being honest about his feelings, and finally being vulnerable). If Shinji was the same character at the start of the series as he was in the end, he never would have rejected Instrumentality, because that is the perfect world for him (at least in his deluded mind set). There's no painful connections, no responsibilities to be burdened with or run away from. Rejecting this very much shows character growth, and when taking the final scene into consideration, we learn that he really is finally ready to progress further. Is he perfect no, but he has overcome the major roadblock preventing his progress.

I really don't want to dwell too much into the ridiculous explanation for Shinji having everything, so I'll say this. There is a multitude of media throughout the ages directly arguing against the idea that women (of which none of the ones Shinji interacts with are emotionally stable) and money create a meaningful life but instead argue that the endless pursuit of such leave people empty (Citizen Kane, Mad Men, Great Gatsby, Breaking Bad, a number of Shakespeare's plays, The Godfather pt 2, etc, etc). Secondly, the one thing that Shinji really needs he never gets, never, which is genuine affection. Its not that he's just a pussy for not being able to deal with loss, its that he's grown up deprived of this, and the developmental impacts of this can be huge (https://www.apa.org/monitor/2014/06/neglect) . The few times he is praised (never by his father, he is only demeaned by Asuka, Rei never acknowledges anything) is usually by Misato who is shown to be emotionally absent outside of sex. No one gives him any genuine affection, and continue to neglect him until they need him.

Added in 9 minutes 30 seconds:
Inferno Rodan wrote:
Jetty_Jags wrote:Even if he does win he is rarely given any real positive feedback besides empty thanks (which never even come from his father), and he understands that another angel will arrive again to start the process all over again.
What silly kind of justification is this? The kid saves the world on a regular basis. The knowledge of that would be a hell of reward in and of itself for anybody reasonable person. What the hell else does he need? Parades and banquets thrown in his honor?
How about for someone personal to tell them they love him and they are proud of him? I'm not saying he needs a parade, but the point is he is neglected all his life until his father out of necessity needs to use him as a tool, and even after he does well it changes nothing. He bears a burden (not of his choice) that the world has put on him, and as a reward has a father who he can never impress who also continually emotionally manipulates him no matter how well he does. He starts out broken, is continually traumatized by a burden he never wanted to bear, and never receives any of the affection he was so greatly deprived as a child, let alone any affection for the actions he performs in the show.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Jetty_Jags wrote:
Mac Daddy MM wrote: I'm not quite understanding your thought process here. Shinji is a better person because he doesn't kill Asuka at the end? Am I supposed to be proud that he doesn't kill a person when he has a chance? Especially if said person could very well be the last human female on the face of the planet and killing her would ultimately doom the human race (which, honestly, it would be either way).
The ending is more than just not killing Asuka, its about accepting a world where people can hurt each other but also can form genuine human connections. The scene is a direct mirror of the previous scene where Shinji does strangle Asuka, but it's also about letting go of that inward desire to wall oneself in and block others out. Its thematically quite similar to the ending of Fight Club (spoilers), where the protagonist shoots his alter ego, that was really holding him back the entire film. While Shinji was progressing throughout the second half of the movie, the last scene depicts the final death of the parts holding him back. The stubborn last remnant of Shinji's problematic mindset is finally overcome as he lets Asuka embrace him, stops choking her, and cries (being honest about his feelings, and finally being vulnerable). If Shinji was the same character at the start of the series as he was in the end, he never would have rejected Instrumentality, because that is the perfect world for him (at least in his deluded mind set). There's no painful connections, no responsibilities to be burdened with or run away from. Rejecting this very much shows character growth, and when taking the final scene into consideration, we learn that he really is finally ready to progress further. Is he perfect no, but he has overcome the major roadblock preventing his progress.

I really don't want to dwell too much into the ridiculous explanation for Shinji having everything, so I'll say this. There is a multitude of media throughout the ages directly arguing against the idea that women (of which none of the ones Shinji interacts with are emotionally stable) and money create a meaningful life but instead argue that the endless pursuit of such leave people empty (Citizen Kane, Mad Men, Great Gatsby, Breaking Bad, a number of Shakespeare's plays, The Godfather pt 2, etc, etc). Secondly, the one thing that Shinji really needs he never gets, never, which is genuine affection. Its not that he's just a pussy for not being able to deal with loss, its that he's grown up deprived of this, and the developmental impacts of this can be huge (https://www.apa.org/monitor/2014/06/neglect) . The few times he is praised (never by his father, he is only demeaned by Asuka, Rei never acknowledges anything) is usually by Misato who is shown to be emotionally absent outside of sex. No one gives him any genuine affection, and continue to neglect him until they need him.
I still do not buy it. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety several years ago and put on medication. I've had family members and friends that were also diagnosed with various degrees and mental illness. And NONE of us acted as depressed and mopy as Shinji does throughout the entire series. Hell, he's even more depressing than Iyor and that is saying something. He wants affection and yet doesn't try and give it out himself. The whole "my father is so bad" argument is just pathetic. Gendo may not be THE BEST, but he tried being part of his son's life in some way. It's been a while since I even watched the series, but I'm pretty sure there is a scene where Shinji is throwing one of his usual temper tantrums and Gendo flat out tells him to stay and fight or leave.

Shinji's entire issues boil down to a "Woe is me. I'm sad. Notice me." instead of doing anything to actually make himself happy. I don't feel bad for people like that. There's a big difference than being depressed and letting said depression rule your life. At one point, he's no longer acting out for depression but for, as you say, affection/attention. And when the world is at stake and he has directly put himself in the middle of that war, I feel no pity for him outside of the physical harm he rarely suffers. He's so out of touch that he falls in love with a god damn Angel.

Quote of the Year:

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Mac Daddy MM wrote:
I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety several years ago and put on medication.
I'm not asking for you to respond to this directly, but where would you be if you never had the resources to have been diagnosed and put on medication? Shinji doesn't have any of these resources, and more importantly he has no one to talk to, or direct him to said resources, which leads too,
Mac Daddy MM wrote: The whole "my father is so bad" argument is just pathetic. Gendo may not be THE BEST, but he tried being part of his son's life in some way. It's been a while since I even watched the series, but I'm pretty sure there is a scene where Shinji is throwing one of his usual temper tantrums and Gendo flat out tells him to stay and fight or leave.
I fail to see a scene where Gendo is effectively saying "If you're not going to do what I want you to do you're no son to me" is in any way trying to be in someone's life. Furthermore, there is another scene at Yui's grave where Shinji is actively looking for any kind of emotional connection/response/affirmation from his father, who in turn lies that they have no physical reminders of his mother, and responds to his son's exclamation of enjoyment for spending time together with, "I see".
Mac Daddy MM wrote: There's a big difference than being depressed and letting said depression rule your life.
This is the entire purpose of the show. This is Shinji's arch. This is why he is congratulated at the end of the TV show, this is why he cries at the end of EOE. The whole point of the show is to convey this message.

Edit: For the sake of being empathetic, I would like to address my first claim which after re-reading as I find it comes off quite invasive. While I don't like to give personal info online, and I certainly don't want to make this a dick measuring contest about depression, the reason I wrote this is that I too had a depressive phase in my life, and I know that had other's not reached out to me to develop coping mechanism, encourage going to therapy, etc, I probably would not have helped myself on my own. At best I would have "dealt" with it for all my life if it didn't progress to "other" solutions on its own. Now I will say from my understanding my experience was quite mild compared to others, but I certainly feel blessed to have had those people to guide me and resources available to me, and I'm not sure I would have dealt with it on my own, at least not constructively.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Jetty_Jags wrote:How about for someone personal to tell them they love him and they are proud of him? I'm not saying he needs a parade, but the point is he is neglected all his life until his father out of necessity needs to use him as a tool, and even after he does well it changes nothing. He bears a burden (not of his choice) that the world has put on him, and as a reward has a father who he can never impress who also continually emotionally manipulates him no matter how well he does. He starts out broken, is continually traumatized by a burden he never wanted to bear, and never receives any of the affection he was so greatly deprived as a child, let alone any affection for the actions he performs in the show.
I specifically remember one occasion where Gendo did praise him. It's been ages since I watched the series, but IIRC is was after the battle with Sahaquiel. Shinji was happy... and then by the next episode was right back to his usual insufferable self. Misato also praises him regularly, and your qualifier that the person doing the praising needs to be "someone personal" doesn't hold water considering how he latched onto Kaworu despite having just met him.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Jetty_Jags wrote:
Mac Daddy MM wrote:
I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety several years ago and put on medication.
I'm not asking for you to respond to this directly, but where would you be if you never had the resources to have been diagnosed and put on medication? Shinji doesn't have any of these resources, and more importantly he has no one to talk to, or direct him to said resources, which leads too,
While I do not know the ins and outs of Japanese medical care, I was always under the impression getting help there is A LOT easier than in the US. Add on to the fact he eventually becomes directly tied to a branch of the government directly responsible to protecting the population from giant monster.

Help was there. He was too lazy to get it.

I fail to see a scene where Gendo is effectively saying "If you're not going to do what I want you to do you're no son to me" is in any way trying to be in someone's life. Furthermore, there is another scene at Yui's grave where Shinji is actively looking for any kind of emotional connection/response/affirmation from his father, who in turn lies that they have no physical reminders of his mother, and responds to his son's exclamation of enjoyment for spending time together with, "I see".
It might have to do with the fact Gendo was busy trying to save the planet from an onslaught of giant monsters determined to bring about the extinction of mankind. It is not Gendo's fault that Shinji wants to act like a cry baby because daddy isn't giving him attention during this crisis.

Edit: For the sake of being empathetic, I would like to address my first claim which after re-reading as I find it comes off quite harsh. While I don't like to give personal info online, and I certainly don't want to make this a dick measuring contest about depression, the reason I wrote this is that I too had a depressive phase in my life, and I know that had other's not reached out to me to develop coping mechanism, encourage going to therapy, etc, I probably would have helped myself on my own. At best I would have "dealt" with it for all my life if it didn't progress to "other" solutions on its own. Now I will say from my understanding my experience was quite mild compared to others, but I certainly feel blessed to have had those people to guide me and resources available to me, and I'm not sure I would have dealt with it on my own, at least not constructively.
Yes, having people around definitely helps, no arguments there. And he had people around in the show as well. Not just his Eva co-pilots either. He had classmates. He had teachers. He had Misato, that other dude who's name escapes me that was always friendly with him, etc. There were people there. When Shinji starts mopping around because he feels lonely and didn't get enough hugs, that is nobody's fault but his own.

One can not beat depression by not helping themselves. This is a fact. And not once, not ONCE in the entirety of the series does he try and help himself. He just blunders about, being depressed and wanting affection. But guess what? That affection won't solve anything for him, because as soon as that person leaves for a few hours/days/weeks, he's going to be right back to where he was. Because his entire issue is being alone. He never helps himself or finds what truly makes himself happy and that is HIS problem, not anybody elses.

Quote of the Year:

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Inferno Rodan wrote: I specifically remember one occasion where Gendo did praise him. It's been ages since I watched the series, but IIRC is was after the battle with Sahaquiel. Shinji was happy... and then by the next episode was right back to his usual insufferable self. Misato also praises him regularly, and your qualifier that the person doing the praising needs to be "someone personal" doesn't hold water considering how he latched onto Kaworu despite having just met him.
Yes you are right Gendo does praise him on the one occasion, I had forgotten this part. It does have a significant meaning to Shinji, as I'm pretty sure he ruminates on this moment wishing it happen more. To clarify my statement on the personal level, I meant to distinguish from the general populace since the topic of detached celebration like a parade was mentioned. Kaworu would qualify as someone personal, but we all know what happens to him.

Added in 21 minutes 55 seconds:
Mac Daddy MM wrote: snip
I'm going to make this my last comment on the subject (not just with you but anyone) as I feel the discussion topics have been exhausted. None-the-less, I do appreciate this discussion, you have made me think about a lot of aspects about the show, and I really enjoy engaging in thought provoking civil discourse.

Regarding the access to mental/emotional healthcare, I assumed that due to the hasty rebuild of society, the rampant mental issues and personality disorders amongst the ranks, and the lack of any time devoted to showing these facilities/organizations, that they were not really a priority or option in the show. But really there isn't much to argue here as it boils down to different interpretations of the world.

Regarding Gendo, I don't disagree that Shinji should pilot the Eva that's no question. And had Gendo not been his father, he would have no obligation to treat Shinji with the type of affection he craves. The problem is the way I see it, Shinji is a monster Gendo creates, and continues to create throughout the show. How much could Gendo have behaved differently within the problems he had to juggle, that's debatable, but probably not a lot. Could Gendo have been more present in his son's life leading up to this point and tried to have a real relationship, I'd argue he more than could have.

Regarding the final point, I think apart of Shinji's problem (of which the greater problem is no self respect, and no self help) is that he is surrounded by other emotionally unstable individuals. Misato has horrible daddy issues which trickle into her social life, Asuka has the exact same problem as Shinji except she is the fight response to Shinji's flight reaction, etc etc. In fact the only person who does anything to help him is Kaji, and I do believe that his advice is sound, and more of what Shinji needed. Yet I think our biggest disagreeance is that I see the EOE (as well as the tv show ending) as indicating that Shinji does finally realize that he needs to help himself, he needs to open up to others, he needs to be vulnerable and risk getting hurt, so he can better himself, and you think it does the opposite. While I do still believe the evidence points to my interpretation (why wouldn't I, as I am sure the same is true for you), I do agree that if the interpretation is that Shinji doesn't grow, then he is most undoubtedly a horrible character. In fact I hated my first viewing of EOE because I didn't realize that Shinji restrains from killing Asuka, and thought he had actually murdered her. While I eventually realized this to be false, I am sure my feelings during this time are quite reminiscent of yours, as I was confused as to why the show would end on a retrogression. \

Once again, I want to thank you for the entertaining civil conversation we had, and while we may disagree, I am glad to have participated in this overtly unimportant debate on an off topic thread on a website dedicated to irradiated giant behemoths.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

Godzilloci wrote:By my understanding, MM has done some pretty shitty things to women in his life, so it's a little funny he's this furious over the immoral actions of a fictional child.
By what right do you just waltz in and start basically slandering someone in a public forum? Not only is his personal life none of your business, you also have no real knowledge of what you're talking about. And it's not like you should be bringing it up here of all places. This isn't Facebook. This is a science fiction forum.

He hasn't even done anything to you in particular, so your antagonizing of him is completely unwarranted and unnecessarily hostile.

Edit: On topic because lolol chiding someone partially for being off-topic while I do it myself: I hated Koltira Deathweaver until he cooled his jets. He was extremely haughty and annoying, constantly belittling the player character. The only reason my tauren never used his axe bigger than that elf himself to carve him in half was because he's Horde so I couldn't attack him.

And since I'm playing Monster Hunter World, I'll say I have a disproportionate amount of anger directed at the small monsters that keep scaring off my scoutflies. Stop interrupting my tracking, you idiots. I can kill you in one hit. I'm just too lazy to do it until you annoy me.
Last edited by Beast Blood on Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Beast Blood wrote:
By what right do you just waltz in and start basically slandering someone in a public forum? Not only is his personal life none of your business, you also have no real knowledge of what you're talking about. And it's not like you should be bringing it up here of all places. This isn't Facebook. This is a science fiction forum.

He hasn't even done anything to you in particular, so your antagonizing of him is completely unwarranted and unnecessarily hostile.

Edit: On topic because lolol chiding someone partially for being off-topic while I do it myself: I hated Koltira Deathweaver until he cooled his jets. He was extremely haughty and annoying, constantly belittling the player character. The only reason my tauren never used his axe bigger than that elf himself to carve him in half was because he's Horde so I couldn't attack him.

And since I'm playing Monster Hunter World, I'll say I have a disproportionate amount of anger directed at the small monsters that keep scaring off my scoutflies. Stop interrupting my tracking, you idiots. I can kill you in one hit. I'm just too lazy to do it until you annoy me.
Just throwing it out there so nobody reads this out of context, I really want to know what I'm being accused of here.

Quote of the Year:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

So adding a tad more onto this, Sid from Ice Age, or more specifically, Collision Course Ice Age... i loved Sid in the first four movies, but good lord he became infuriating in CC! Only thing good about it (debatable) is that he's not the worst thing about the movie... and that's saying a lot.
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I know I said my previous post will be my last, but I am going to make an exception.

I've been doing some thinking, and I want to retract my statements regarding disliking Shinji. While my personal opinion on his character stands, I think there is a more than fair argument to be had regarding a lack of character development in terms of decent human qualities, as well as the assertion that the show indulges itself on these emotional, traumatic, and draining plots.

I'd also like to apologize to anyone I may have offended with such statements, including but not limited too Legendzilla and Mac Daddy MM.
He Jock it Made of Steel

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Deep cut but Anode from Transformers: Lost Light.

Introduced essentially smack-dab in the middle of the series during its soft reboot from being called More than Meets The Eye, she quickly becomes the central character of at least three issues into this comic's 25-issue run, taking away time that could've been spent with our already established characters to move the plot along. And on top of this, she's obnoxious as fuck. She has a constant attitude with every character, fucks things up and never admits her mistakes, and is given way too much leeway and forgiveness from the rest of the comic's cast. Not once does anything go wrong for her despite her demeanor, she is given almost everything without much of a struggle. She made it extremely hard to get through the relaunch and was part of the reason I initially dropped the book for a few years.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Here are some fictional beings that grind my gears.

Sonic: This little asshat is such an arrogant asshole to everyone he meets, and he's so goddamn annoying.
Ness: PK FIRE PK FIRE PK FIRE PK FIRE PK FIRE PK FIRE PK FIRE OKAY
Jan Levinson: I'm sure you can get why I hate her.
Brainy Smurf: What a smartass.
Rose Tico: I'm ALSO sure you can get why I hate her.
Caillou: What a little shit.
Peppa Pig: Fat shaming ain't cool. Not to mention she's the rudest little girl I've ever seen.
Sid the Sloth: Man screw this guy.
LITERALLY THE ENTIRE MINION RACE
Janet (The Good Place): I just find her monotone voice super grating.

Added in 1 minute 10 seconds:
Forgot to mention Haruo Sakaki and Ford Brody.
For Emperor and Empire!

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

VoyagerGoji wrote: LITERALLY THE ENTIRE MINION RACE
that's me for both those things and Ewoks, which I'd take over the former any day of the week...
your source of self destruction