Godzilla x Evangelion - Collaboration

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Cookson
Futurian

Godzilla x Evangelion - Collaboration

Post by Cookson »

This isn't a joke... or it could turn out to be

Anyway, we know there's a Godzilla/EVA collaboration to sell advance tickets to Shin-Gojira.

Within this article http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-4443.html that talks about that they bring up this(translated by google):
"Godzilla vs Evangelion" by mahiro Maeda, Japan's leading creators and expand in the future!
4/1 (Friday) opened "Godzilla vs Evangelion" website, including the information, we will update the latest news from time to time!
There's a link to some kind of Japanese animated site: http://www.animate.tv/news/details.php?id=1459417095 that's supposed to have information about this soon I guess.

What do expect this to be if it is anything at all.

I will say there's a lot of broken links in that article.
Last edited by Cookson on Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: GODZILLA vs EVANGELION.. possible animated movie/tv show

Post by LegendZilla »

Almost certainly an April Fools.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

The combination of a lot of broken links and it being a eva blog site is a little concerning as far as it being a hoax.. but that article also has the Godzilla vs EVA collaboration stuff which is apparently true. So IDK WTF to believe when Japan releases new entertainment stuff on April 1st.....
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Cookson wrote:The combination of a lot of broken links and it being a eva blog site is a little concerning as far as it being a hoax.. but that article also has the Godzilla vs EVA collaboration stuff which is apparently true. So IDK WTF to believe when Japan releases new entertainment stuff on April 1st.....
Doubt its anything but a marketing tactic.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

Japanese fiscal year starting on the first of April sucks :(.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

The thing I don't understand is why use Evangellion to promote Shin Gojira if it doesn't have any larger involvement? I can understand wanting to hype Anno's involvement, but resurrecting one of his past creations and mixing it with images of Godzilla seems a little on the nose. Like promoting an original JJ Abrams project by randomly throwing in pictures of Han Solo. It might make sense if Godzilla and Evangellion were sharing a double-feature, but that's clearly not the case here.

I could be thinking of this too much in terms of Western marketing though, OR maybe there is something larger at play.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

godzillalives88 wrote:The thing I don't understand is why use Evangellion to promote Shin Gojira if it doesn't have any larger involvement? I can understand wanting to hype Anno's involvement, but resurrecting one of his past creations and mixing it with images of Godzilla seems a little on the nose. Like promoting an original JJ Abrams project by randomly throwing in pictures of Han Solo. It might make sense if Godzilla and Evangellion were sharing a double-feature, but that's clearly not the case here.

I could be thinking of this too much in terms of Western marketing though, OR maybe there is something larger at play.
That's pretty much how I feel and a lot of others reading this. It's not like Evangelion is THAT popular, where GODZILLA needs its help to sell tickets. I don't know if I'd want a DIRECT crossover with Evangelion though... Maybe a brand new Mecha would work.
Last edited by Cookson on Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

I chalked it up as a good ol' be sure to check out his other work sorta thing. It could be a small marketing play as well. Sorta like how eBay and Amazon have "You searched "Shin Godzilla", other items you may like include "Neon Genesis Evangelion". That sorta thing.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

What's also odd... is Evangelion even a Toho product? Just odd they would promote Evangelion over say the DVDs they just announced etc.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

Cookson wrote:What's also odd... is Evangelion even a Toho product? Just odd they would promote Evangelion over say the DVDs they just announced etc.
I was thinking that too. I have no idea.

I'd be open to a Godzilla vs. Evangellion show if it were its own isolated spin-off series and not a continuation of either previous Godzilla movies or the Evangellion series. It'd probably be the closest thing we'd get to a Pacific Rim crossover.
Last edited by godzillalives88 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

If this comes to fruition I'd expect maybe a short short before the movie much like God Warrior Appears in Tokyo.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

B34sT wrote:If this comes to fruition I'd expect maybe a short short before the movie much like God Warrior Appears in Tokyo.
I wouldnt mind at all if that was the case.
Member of TK Since 2006

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Seeing as how Eva-01 is heavily hinted at showing up alongside Godzilla in the City Shrouded in Shadow video game, I guess it turns out there's more to it than it appeared! I'd definitely give a Godzilla animated show a watch; a crossover with Evangelion is just a bonus.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

If this happens, just reboot Evangelion... Don't force Godzilla in say the 4th Rebuild of Evangelion movie.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Just have the Dimension Tide malfunction and drop Godzilla in the middle of Rebuild.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Toho's Godzilla Twitter

https://twitter.com/godzilla_jp/status/ ... 6015117312
Translated version of the above Tweet wrote:Today, it will be announced the production of the theater version of "Godzilla vs. Evangelion"!

Http: // Shin-godzilla.Jp /

beg, your expectations.

# Gojieva # Shingojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

My thoughts:
Toho is announcing a crossover film. Whether Shin Gojira is that film at this time is unclear. It is awfully suspicious of Toho to put an image like that on the site promoting their latest film for simply a marketing tactic.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shin Gojira is this film, and hence the secrecy. Or Godzilla vs Evangelion is a planned sequel.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

TheSecondComing wrote:Toho's Godzilla Twitter

https://twitter.com/godzilla_jp/status/ ... 6015117312
Translated version of the above Tweet wrote:Today, it will be announced the production of the theater version of "Godzilla vs. Evangelion"!

Http: // Shin-godzilla.Jp /

beg, your expectations.

# Gojieva # Shingojira

I do not how to respond............
Godzilla

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

This had better be a fucking April Fools joke. I loathe Evangelion with a fucking passion and have absolutely no care in the world for it.

But I'm not expecting it to be true. It's been marketed as Shin Gojira for months now. Changing things up like this would be a shitty move.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I'm too surprised to even try to find a reaction gif.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.