Godzilla x Evangelion - Collaboration

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla x Evangelion - Collaboration

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Voyager wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:56 am I was just watching the pachinko video and I don’t know about you guys, but it definitely looks like that while Unit 01 transformed into Eva Godzilla, Shinji totally died.
You're assuming that Shinji is in there/and or BS where Shinji can just reform via magic after that. IIRC, Shinji dies or dissapears into the Eva Unit at some point in the original anime, and is rescued from it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Doesn’t he dissolve into lcl or something?
He Jock it Made of Steel

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Shinji would emerge as one of Eva ShinGoji's tail humanoids.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:18 pm
Voyager wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:56 am I was just watching the pachinko video and I don’t know about you guys, but it definitely looks like that while Unit 01 transformed into Eva Godzilla, Shinji totally died.
You're assuming that Shinji is in there/and or BS where Shinji can just reform via magic after that. IIRC, Shinji dies or dissapears into the Eva Unit at some point in the original anime, and is rescued from it.
Eva 01 gave birth to a new Shinji because Anno wanted the symbolism as EVA 01 was his mom. But yeah, unless Ghidorah blasted Shinji outside Eva 01 he'll pop back up.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The more intertwined Eva seems to get with Godzilla over time, that makes me wonder... Does anyone think that one day Anno could sell Eva to Toho one day?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:33 pm The more intertwined Eva seems to get with Godzilla over time, that makes me wonder... Does anyone think that one day Anno could sell Eva to Toho one day?
Never. It's something he created and one of his signatures on pop culture in general.

That said, I am pretty sure he would be more than willing to do a Godzilla vs Evangelion movie.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

StardustGenius wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:37 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:33 pm The more intertwined Eva seems to get with Godzilla over time, that makes me wonder... Does anyone think that one day Anno could sell Eva to Toho one day?
Never. It's something he created and one of his signatures on pop culture in general.
Star Wars was George Lucas' creation and that did not stop him from selling it. Why would Anno selling Eva be any different?

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:40 pm
StardustGenius wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:37 pm
Star Wars was George Lucas' creation and that did not stop him from selling it. Why would Anno selling Eva be any different?
Because that would require Toho shelling out cash to spend on the property. They couldn't even make a Gigan suit without crowd funding it. Why bother doing that when they can make a movie with Gainax.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

That took Disney 5 billion dollars, and off the heels of George Lucas making 3 Star Wars films that received lackluster reviews. Evangelion was perfected in Shin Evangelion, and it seems full steam ahead on the collab. Evangelion is arguably more personal to Anno than Star Wars is to Lucas on top of that.

Toho buying Evangelion wouldn’t benefit anyone either. Seems like Anno is more than willing to collaborate with Toho, and they’re sort of conjoined at the hip. They both gain by working together but not overlapping too much.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^One big difference is that Toho is not a Western studio. The way Disney’s sequel trilogy turned out was largely due to the current corporate and cultural environment of modern Hollywood.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:14 pm ^One big difference is that Toho is not a Western studio. The way Disney’s sequel trilogy turned out was largely due to the current corporate and cultural environment of modern Hollywood.
The ST turned out that way because Disney's only plan was don't make the PT.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:36 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:14 pm ^One big difference is that Toho is not a Western studio. The way Disney’s sequel trilogy turned out was largely due to the current corporate and cultural environment of modern Hollywood.
The ST turned out that way because Disney's only plan was don't make the PT.
Sadly a combination. Resulting in a hollow disaster.

The opposite could be said for Evangelion, because luckily Japan (and Anno of course) is dead-set on artistic integrity.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

This was just revealed, and instantly sold out, on the Godzilla store:
https://godzilla.store/shop/g/gGSG0530273/
It's the Godzilla-Eva unit.

This means that the collaboration is still very much alive, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of this creature in the future. Shame how quickly this sold out, I would've bought it despite the price tag if I noticed it sooner.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I wonder if there could be a Godzilla vs Eva manga series or even a anime mini-series.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:24 pm I wonder if there could be a Godzilla vs Eva manga series or even a anime mini-series.
If it's a sequel to Shin Godzilla and it's well-written, I'd be completely game. :shingodzillapurple:
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:37 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:24 pm I wonder if there could be a Godzilla vs Eva manga series or even a anime mini-series.
If it's a sequel to Shin Godzilla and it's well-written, I'd be completely game. :shingodzillapurple:
Any suggestions on how will they crossover? Should ShinGoji just randomly exist in the Eva universe?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:58 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:37 pm
Any suggestions on how will they crossover? Should ShinGoji just randomly exist in the Eva universe?
That would be my first guess. The events of Shin would more or less be canon and either A: his ass has been frozen for longer than humanity's initial estimate but by the time of the main show he 🎶Gets The Fuck UP!🎶, or B: at some point in-between Shin and the main show, Godzilla finally 🎶Got The Fuck UP!🎶 on his own and he's been roaming around out there for who-knows-how-long, kicking the asses of everything stupid enough to stand in his way, and for one plot reason or another he's finally drawn to Tokyo-III and everyone immediately recognizes him. :shingodzilla:
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

A Fan came up with this

-The real world Shinji went to at the end of 3.0+1.0 is the world of Shin Godzilla.
- Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman and Shin Kamen Rider take place in the same world but can't be mention in their films only in whatever crossover material we get.

As for Shin x Eva, the panchiko game pretty much said Shin appeared, destroyed Tokyo and left then the events of Eva happened.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:54 pm - Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman and Shin Kamen Rider take place in the same world but can be mention in their films only in whatever crossover material we get.
The only obstacle to that being canon is the studios. Toho, Tsupro and Toei won't allow it. Also, Anno said he's finished with Eva once and for all and I don't think he'd approve of other people making new projects without his involvement.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’m not really sure why you’re worried about “canon” when it’s a silly concept to worry about when it comes to crossovers. The fact is that Eva has crossed over officially with Godzilla, with a ride, figures, and pachinko. What is/isn’t canon isn’t relevant. There’s a universe of goods where to eat already exist together.