Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:57 am Rodan has been out in Japan since 2009 (and it looks awful). The U.S. rights have been held by Janus Films since at least 2017; Janus titles are usually handled on video by Criterion, but there's been no indication that a Rodan Blu-ray is forthcoming. Ditto for The War of the Gargantuas, another Janus title.

Toho has a hi-def transfer of Varan but it isn't available on Blu in Japan, so a U.S. release is really unlikely at present.
So, not any time in the foreseeable future, much less soon. Sucks...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:15 am No, there's a high chance that they're just leftovers from Media Blasters' warehouse. I bought a copy of Atragon off one of these third-party sellers for $30 a few years ago and it was genuine.
Not breaking news, but Amazon needs to improve their sorting of reviews and comments. The page on Dogora shows both reviews of the movies, and also claiming it's a bootleg and the quality is subpar. I'm thinking this is for the streaming. CinemaScape IS indeed Media Blasters.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Godzilla 2014 4k release

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I don't know if this quite fits here because its related to the monsterverse, and if not, mods can you direct me to an applicable sub forum? Regardless, Godzilla 2014 is getting a 4k release in about a month or so. Hopefully it corrects the last blu-rays transfer.

https://hd-report.com/2021/02/02/godzil ... e-details/
He Jock it Made of Steel

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla 2014 4k release

Post by goji1986 »

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24428

It’s been discussed here already.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla 2014 4k release

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Aight then mods lock it up
He Jock it Made of Steel

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

https://mobile.twitter.com/GodzillaMovi ... 61/photo/1

If this is a screen grab from the actual video track for LPG’s 4K release, I think we can all rest easy. Brightness has been corrected compared to the Blu-ray!
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

goji1986 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:51 am https://mobile.twitter.com/GodzillaMovi ... 61/photo/1

If this is a screen grab from the actual video track for LPG’s 4K release, I think we can all rest easy. Brightness has been corrected compared to the Blu-ray!
Guess I'll have to take your word for it...the tweet won't load for me at all.

STILL very encouraging news. I think there were too many complaints about the BR transfer for it all to 100% be chalked up to "It is exactly how it is supposed to look your TV/setting are ruining it"
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

Looks like the tweet was deleted. Luckily, it was reposted on a FB group before being taken down.

4K:

BD:

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Literally night and day
He Jock it Made of Steel

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Not convinced until the disc is out and reviews come in. Could easily be a photo from marketing, in fact I recall this exact shot being used during the initial release's marketing.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

heiseigodzilla425 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:47 am Looks like the tweet was deleted. Luckily, it was reposted on a FB group before being taken down.

4K:

BD:
That is not how my blu ray disk looks lol. I swear most people who said they couldn't see the film were likely watching it at like 25% brightness on their TV.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Do we have a general idea of what special features are available on Toho's domestic Blu-ray releases? I have a good sense for Shin Godzilla based on what I've heard/read, but I haven't come across too much on the other films. Mostly general behind-the-scenes and making-of material?
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Tohosaurus wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:41 pm Do we have a general idea of what special features are available on Toho's domestic Blu-ray releases? I have a good sense for Shin Godzilla based on what I've heard/read, but I haven't come across too much on the other films. Mostly general behind-the-scenes and making-of material?
I think all of them have their own location guide sort of thing, which shows some of the places that were seen in the movies. Some releases might have new interviews; at least the GvsMG74 Blu-ray has an interview with Reiko Tajima who played Saeko. Most of the other extras are recycled from the DVDs.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Ronin

Post by 128k »

Hi all, I hope this is the right place to ask about this particular release. I bought a Media Blasters / Tokyo Shock copy of Frankenstein Conquers the World from a Goodwill on eBay. I'm wondering if it's a bootleg/counterfeit. Is this release being bootlegged on pressed discs?

The time stamps on the discs look correct (2 months before the release), the disc art is just kind of grainy and low-res, but maybe that's normal for these? I don't have any other Media Blasters discs in my collection, so I have nothing to compare to, any insight is greatly appreciated! I took some pictures, but am not sure how to post them here.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

128k wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:20 pm Hi all, I hope this is the right place to ask about this particular release. I bought a Media Blasters / Tokyo Shock copy of Frankenstein Conquers the World from a Goodwill on eBay. I'm wondering if it's a bootleg/counterfeit. Is this release being bootlegged on pressed discs?

The time stamps on the discs look correct (2 months before the release), the disc art is just kind of grainy and low-res, but maybe that's normal for these? I don't have any other Media Blasters discs in my collection, so I have nothing to compare to, any insight is greatly appreciated! I took some pictures, but am not sure how to post them here.
Not sure we can confirm without images, but if you Google "Frankenstein Conquers the World Media Blasters DVD" and look under Shopping the prevalent DVD should be the one with artwork depicting Frankenstein at the left, Baragon at the right, "Frankenstein Conquers the World" text at top and "Frankenstein vs Baragon" on the bottom with "Toho Scope" below it. I don't believe MB used any other variation of this for the front cover.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Ronin

Post by 128k »

Tohosaurus wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:32 pm
128k wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:20 pm Hi all, I hope this is the right place to ask about this particular release. I bought a Media Blasters / Tokyo Shock copy of Frankenstein Conquers the World from a Goodwill on eBay. I'm wondering if it's a bootleg/counterfeit. Is this release being bootlegged on pressed discs?

Not sure we can confirm without images, but if you Google "Frankenstein Conquers the World Media Blasters DVD" and look under Shopping the prevalent DVD should be the one with artwork depicting Frankenstein at the left, Baragon at the right, "Frankenstein Conquers the World" text at top and "Frankenstein vs Baragon" on the bottom with "Toho Scope" below it. I don't believe MB used any other variation of this for the front cover.

Thank you! The cover looks correct, it's the discs themselves that seem oddly low-res to me. I didn't realize Media Blasters was selling their own stuff on Amazon, or I would have just purchased it directly from the source.

I've uploaded some extreme close ups here:

bit (dot) ly/2QFq47L

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Pretty sure it's legit. It's not a purple DVD-R or anything and any bootlegs of the MB discs wouldn't be as professionally made. The low-res art is just something that happens with independent companies like this. I have an official Flight of the Conchords DVD with horrendously low-res disc art.

Ronin

Post by 128k »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:07 pm Pretty sure it's legit. It's not a purple DVD-R or anything and any bootlegs of the MB discs wouldn't be as professionally made. The low-res art is just something that happens with independent companies like this. I have an official Flight of the Conchords DVD with horrendously low-res disc art.

Thank you, I really appreciate it!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Pretty sure it is safe to assume that Netflix probably has 0% intent to ever put the Anime Trilogy out on Blu Ray in the US?

I wasn't a big fan by any means...but I do own every Godzilla movie, that is kind of my thing. Good and bad I own them all. Maybe one day I'll change my mind on that and sell off all of the oldies, but I don't really see it happening.

Not getting the Anime Trilogy on BR would be a shame. You could do it as a single 2-3 disc release with all 3 included. It doesn't need to be anything special(G home market releases in the US rarely are)...the idea of owning EVERY Godzilla film on disc except for the anime trilogy just because Netflix owns it is quite frustrating. I know the "anime" stuff isn't really in the same realm as the live action films, but they were still Godzilla movies that were released. To try and group them with the cartoons or upcoming anime series as being 'separate' from the live action films feels a little...odd.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

Chrispy_G wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:02 am Pretty sure it is safe to assume that Netflix probably has 0% intent to ever put the Anime Trilogy out on Blu Ray in the US?

I wasn't a big fan by any means...but I do own every Godzilla movie, that is kind of my thing. Good and bad I own them all. Maybe one day I'll change my mind on that and sell off all of the oldies, but I don't really see it happening.

Not getting the Anime Trilogy on BR would be a shame. You could do it as a single 2-3 disc release with all 3 included. It doesn't need to be anything special(G home market releases in the US rarely are)...the idea of owning EVERY Godzilla film on disc except for the anime trilogy just because Netflix owns it is quite frustrating. I know the "anime" stuff isn't really in the same realm as the live action films, but they were still Godzilla movies that were released. To try and group them with the cartoons or upcoming anime series as being 'separate' from the live action films feels a little...odd.
Germany already has the first one of the trilogy released on blu-ray and has release dates for the other two movies. So the anime trilogy being Netflix exclusive shouldn't be much of a problem. One thing to note is that the blu-rays use a new dub instead of the Netflix dub, so maybe that's where licensing issues are
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...