Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
UltramanGoji

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Post by UltramanGoji »

shadowgigan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:57 pm I have all the dubs on VHS, but obviously don't use a VHS player anymore. I mostly watch Godzilla using the Japanese DVDs these days, still haven't upgraded to Blu-Ray. My question is, is there a way for me to watch the dubs without setting up a DVD player? I assume it's probably not as easy as downloading an audio file somewhere off the internet.
Not sure what specifically you're asking for. Are you looking for digital versions or streaming services? Or torrents and general streaming?

No reason not to upgrade to Blu-ray IMO. The format is a decade+ old now with all the kinks ironed out and nearly everything you can think of is available.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:49 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:57 pm I have all the dubs on VHS, but obviously don't use a VHS player anymore. I mostly watch Godzilla using the Japanese DVDs these days, still haven't upgraded to Blu-Ray. My question is, is there a way for me to watch the dubs without setting up a DVD player? I assume it's probably not as easy as downloading an audio file somewhere off the internet.
Not sure what specifically you're asking for. Are you looking for digital versions or streaming services? Or torrents and general streaming?

No reason not to upgrade to Blu-ray IMO. The format is a decade+ old now with all the kinks ironed out and nearly everything you can think of is available.
I think I already answered my own, confusingly-worded question.

I suppose the better question to ask is this: I know the Criterion collection only contains a handful of dubs. Is there any other way to get the Showa dubs? I'm asking because the only way I can currently watch them is on VHS.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

shadowgigan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:54 pm I suppose the better question to ask is this: I know the Criterion collection only contains a handful of dubs. Is there any other way to get the Showa dubs? I'm asking because the only way I can currently watch them is on VHS.
Of the dubs that are missing on the Criterion set:

- Godzilla Raids Again, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, and All Monsters Attack are on their Classic Media DVDs. These were not released on Blu-ray in America.
- Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster has the International dub on the Kraken Releasing Blu-ray and the Sony DVD. The original Walter-Reade dub is not available outside of VHS.
- Son of Godzilla's Walter Reade dub is also not available outside of VHS either. The Criterion set and the Sony DVD feature the International dub.
- Destroy All Monsters' AIP dub was available on select early releases of the Tokyo Shock Blu-ray but subsequent releases are barebones. The dub on the Criterion set is the International dub.
- Godzilla vs. Hedorah's AIP dub is not available outside of VHS. The Kraken Releasing Blu-ray and the Sony DVD feature the International dub.

So out of the Showa set, six films are missing any sort of English version with two included that aren't the original dub released in America.

There are other ways to get the missing dubs but they're way more dubious and unofficial.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:09 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:54 pm I suppose the better question to ask is this: I know the Criterion collection only contains a handful of dubs. Is there any other way to get the Showa dubs? I'm asking because the only way I can currently watch them is on VHS.
Of the dubs that are missing on the Criterion set:

- Godzilla Raids Again, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, and All Monsters Attack are on their Classic Media DVDs. These were not released on Blu-ray in America.
- Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster has the International dub on the Kraken Releasing Blu-ray and the Sony DVD. The original Walter-Reade dub is not available outside of VHS.
- Son of Godzilla's Walter Reade dub is also not available outside of VHS either. The Criterion set and the Sony DVD feature the International dub.
- Destroy All Monsters' AIP dub was available on select early releases of the Tokyo Shock Blu-ray but subsequent releases are barebones. The dub on the Criterion set is the International dub.
- Godzilla vs. Hedorah's AIP dub is not available outside of VHS. The Kraken Releasing Blu-ray and the Sony DVD feature the International dub.

So out of the Showa set, six films are missing any sort of English version with two included that aren't the original dub released in America.

There are other ways to get the missing dubs but they're way more dubious and unofficial.
Thank you! I suppose I should upgrade to BR when I get some cash in and go with the Criterion set, that will at least get me started.

Edit: Wow I didn't realize the extent to which my original post made no sense. Lol it's been a long day...
Last edited by shadowgigan on Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

If one truly wants to get really geeky, Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster (AIP) was also released on Laserdisc :)

arcampbe
Young Farmer

Post by arcampbe »

Does anybody know what the 2011 Destroy All Monsters Blu-Ray from Tokyo Shock (The one with all the extras) goes for these days? I'm looking to add it to my collection but can't seem to track it down.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just looked at these two, and they are something! Hopefully Rodan, King Ghidorah and Kong are next.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:50 am
I just looked at these two, and they are something! Hopefully Rodan, King Ghidorah and Kong are next.
I hope we get Rodan and King Kong Escapes on bluray.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:29 am I hope we get Rodan and King Kong Escapes on bluray.
KKE has been on Blu-ray for a while now.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

G-Matt wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:56 am
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:29 am I hope we get Rodan and King Kong Escapes on bluray.
Actually, I think what was meant here was "get King Kong Escapes back on Blu-ray" since as far as I know, it's out of print. Of course, I could be wrong.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

A 4k bluray would be nice
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:55 am
Don't hold your breath.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:39 pm
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:55 am
Don't hold your breath.
Sadly, I'm not. At this time, I see little reason to pay a premium for that out of print King Kong Escapes blu-ray when it's barely even an update at all. :(

I hope Rodan at least gets a nice re-release. Even if not 4k. Something akin to the Mothra steelbook would be cool.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Question: I’m looking at the Mill Creek steel book of Mothra vs. the Eureka! Masters of Cinema blu ray. What are the differences between the two, and which one do you all think is the better buy? I didn’t even know it had two different releases

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

KingKaiju wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:37 pm Question: I’m looking at the Mill Creek steel book of Mothra vs. the Eureka! Masters of Cinema blu ray. What are the differences between the two, and which one do you all think is the better buy? I didn’t even know it had two different releases
I'd probably go for the Eureka release. One deciding factor is that it fixes an editing issue that was on the Icons DVD set from Sony (and presumably the Mill Creek release).

G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Is the eureka disc region locked? Looks to be a European release.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Yes, the Eureka release is locked to region B.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Good to know! Steel book it is.

ShyGuyPal101
Monsterland Worker

Post by ShyGuyPal101 »

I hope this is on-topic because it's Gamera related- I saw online that Gamera the Brave had a different ending song- "Tell Me Again" by Juliana Schano. The first time I watched Gamera the Brave it played 'Eternal Love' by Mink. Is there a second release of the movie with that different ending song? Also, which ending song does the release of Gamera the Brave in the recent Arrow video collection use?