Pacific Rim Figures the Sequel

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Re: Pacific Rim Figures the Sequel

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Fermix wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:09 pm Diamond Select unveiled an 8" Gipsy Danger figure that they will be selling in the future!
https://twitter.com/MattGuzy/status/155 ... eUeHA&s=19
That’s great news!!! How is Diamond Selects quality? Better than NECA?

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Hot damn, never would've guessed that. Honestly, I never thought the Uprising figures sold well enough to convince them to do any more with this license.

Looks like this is a larger scale, too. NECA and DS's previous lines were both 7" scale.
UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:19 pm Potentially very exciting news. I hope DST goes through with every on-screen Jaeger and even some of the kaiju NECA neglected to cover. Hell, gimme all the kaiju they did do anyway! I'm in for the whole set.
That would be the dream, I'd kill for a nice Slattern or Onibaba (or hell, my boy Karloff). But I agree; I'm obsessed with Pacific Rim and have everything from props to prototypes, so I will absolutely be buying anything they throw at us, be it many or just this one.
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:23 pm That’s great news!!! How is Diamond Selects quality? Better than NECA?
They're fairly similar in my eyes. The DS figures seem a bit more solid to me and less prone to breakage, but generally aren't as articulated as the NECA's (though that is also dependent on character design).

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

I'm on mobile so I can't share the photo, but ToyArk has up close photos of the prototype. ETA February 2023 $40 USD
https://news.toyark.com/2022/07/21/sdcc ... ore-476826
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

That looks really good! Perhaps they will make more if this sells well. I wonder why Diamond Select never made Godzilla figures, only busts and such?

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Anguirus wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:20 pm I wonder why Diamond Select never made Godzilla figures, only busts and such?
Diamond has never had the license for articulated Godzilla action figures targeted towards adult collectors in the US. Before Super7 it was NECA, and I don't know if it was in circulation before NECA?
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Wow I didn't think Pacific Rim had anymore goodwill to get new action figures.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

The NECA line certainly did for a long time, but I think the crap sequel had killed the momentum. But it might be a good line for DST to mine. Especially since there's no other interest.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Full solicitation:

PACIFIC RIM DLX GIPSY DANGER ACTION FIGURE
A Diamond Select Toys release! Look out, kaiju, here comes Danger! The original monster-smashing Jaeger returns in this all-new figure from DST! Standing approximately 8.5 inches tall, and featuring interchangeable hands and weapons, this fully poseable action figure features over 18 points of articulation and comes packaged in a full-color window box. Designed and sculpted by Big Shot Toy Works!
In Shops: Dec 28, 2022
SRP: $39.99
Never thought I'd be so happy to see yet another Gipsy Danger figure... I just hope it isn't a one-off. Also not that far away, is it? December's way earlier than I thought.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

I remember in the months leading up to Diamond Select's Pacific Rim Uprising figures, a member over at the fwoosh forums was a brand manager for the toy line. He said that if sales were good they would consider going on to make figures from the first movie.

Never heard much on that in the following years. But I guess they figured there is still enough interest (in the first movie).

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

There certainly is more demand for such figures than for one's hailing from this accident of a sequel movie. BANDAI even canned several of their figures slated for Uprising and the original due to bad reception of the 2nd movie. It's a shame because ROBOT Spirits Jaegers and monsters from the original movie would likely still sell like hot cakes...
Last edited by Petezilla on Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Size DOES matter!

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

Fermix wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:25 pm
Anguirus wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:20 pm I wonder why Diamond Select never made Godzilla figures, only busts and such?
Diamond has never had the license for articulated Godzilla action figures targeted towards adult collectors in the US. Before Super7 it was NECA, and I don't know if it was in circulation before NECA?
They did make the Minimates though.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Flame Toys are making Kuro Kara Kuri figures of Gypsy Danger, Eureka Striker, Chrerno Alpha, and Crimson Typhoon! I've never heard of them before, but sweeet!!

Edit: Apparently, that line's figures regularly cost over $300. Ouch.
Last edited by Anguirus on Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Anguirus wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:14 pm Flame Toys are making Kuro Kara Kuri figures of Gypsy Danger, Eureka Striker, Chrerno Alpha, and Crimson Typhoon! I've never heard of them before, but sweeet!!
They do a lot of Transformers stuff it seems. Really highly detailed shit too. Super expensive I might add. Just look at this Optimus Prime.

https://www.d4toys.com/index.php?route= ... uct_id=792
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Anguirus wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:14 pm Flame Toys are making Kuro Kara Kuri figures of Gypsy Danger, Eureka Striker, Chrerno Alpha, and Crimson Typhoon! I've never heard of them before, but sweeet!!

Edit: Apparently, that line's figures regularly cost over $300. Ouch.
Gipsy Danger will apparently be able to use those other Jaeger's weapons too with parts swapping. :shock:

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

From the looks of it, I assume that Gipsy will come with the accessory parts, rather than each other Jaeger getting an individual release.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Fermix wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:43 am Image

From the looks of it, I assume that Gipsy will come with the accessory parts, rather than each other Jaeger getting an individual release.
That is quite incredible. Amazing that Legendary Pictures allows this kind of freedom with the IP. It's cool when license holders allow some creative freedom with their work.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

I agree. It's cool to see Flame Toys and Diamond Select revisiting the first movie and I hope we see more!

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I hope we get Neca quality Kaiju in the future also!

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Fermix wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:25 pm
I must have missed this, thanks for the response?

Also, what do we think of Bandai's Atlas Destroyer in terms of paintjob? I thought it was better than their Uprising figures. I wish they had made an Apex also!

I hope we get another reveal from Diamond soon! Hopefully we get at least one other figure. I'm guessing if we do get another figure, it would be Cherno Alpha (Then again, Bandai was going to do Crimson after Gypsy for their expensive line before canceling it).
As for kaiju, Knifehead would be first of course.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Well, no news at the NYCC, I guess the figure didn't receive enough pre-orders for Diamond Select to unveil any more potential figure? Because I would assume that they have prototypes for potential figures in case it sells well?