Monster Discussion #32: Gigan (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Monster Discussion #32: Gigan (Showa)

Post by Godzillian »

tfw Gigan's laser was never used in the film

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's useful information despite the varying details. I'd known about the forehead laser for years, but wasn't aware they intended him to have a heat beam. The Gigan we could have gotten would have been armed to the teeth.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

Wow, just knocked Gigan into my top 5 Kaiju. I'm a bit disappointed that they backed out on the third-eye bit as I think that would have given Gigan a very cool mystical touch to complement his overarching alien feel.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

I loved the cutaways, but I thought it was overkill regarding the weapons. I've been slowly working on a Godzilla vs Megalon reboot, and you get to see the Gigan species transformed into cyborgs. I have my own vision of what the creature looked like before all the mods, but I wish Toho would release a "before" picture.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

Gigan, Mechagodzilla and Ghidorah are probably my three favorite monsters from the whole series.

Gigan in particular is awesome because of his unique design, interesting and unpredictable array of weapons, and memorable personality. Ken Satsuma really went above and beyond in his performance. The way he just shows up on Earth whenever there's a good fight to be had, teases and taunts his opponents, tries and fails to outwit them, then retreats and leaves his allies behind every time makes him one of the most well-developed and interesting kaiju out there.

Final Wars Gigan is awful though. They took an awesome creation and made him into a dull, robotic goon for Godzilla and Mothra to beat up just like every other dull, robotic goon in that movie. No personality, no presence, and a really lame redesign that makes him look like soemthing H. R. Giger vomited onto a coloring book page in elementary school.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

Final Wars Gigan is awful, just like the entire film. Toho has their own style of Sci-Fi, the 60's Showa style was very unique. I saw no need to add Matrix & Alien elements into the film. Its a pile of sh*t IMO.

Gigan was a robotic goon. There was no organic feel to him. Toho certainly missed the boat.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Killswitch wrote:Final Wars Gigan is awful, just like the entire film. Toho has their own style of Sci-Fi, the 60's Showa style was very unique. I saw no need to add Matrix & Alien elements into the film. Its a pile of sh*t IMO.

Gigan was a robotic goon. There was no organic feel to him. Toho certainly missed the boat.
:cry:

the lack of observational skill, it hurts!
Resized Image

Bonekil
Ronin

Post by Bonekil »

Love gigan. He's my favorite monster besides godzilla. And he's an alien cyborg, if anyone knows
Bonekil. One L. Don't get it wrong

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Welcome to the forums, Bonekil! :mrgreen: Gigan is a pretty kick ass (and kind of creepy) villain. Except in Godzilla vs. Megalon. They really toned down his creepyness in that film. :(
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Gigan is a unique and memorable kaiju in all three of his appearances. But I personally thought he was best in GvM. His personality was at its funnest in that film, like a jackass punk or bully. And he and Megalon had great chemistry together.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

Never heard any monster relationship described as "having chemistry," but I like it.
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They made the perfect pair. They both have unique arms.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:
Killswitch wrote:Final Wars Gigan is awful, just like the entire film. Toho has their own style of Sci-Fi, the 60's Showa style was very unique. I saw no need to add Matrix & Alien elements into the film. Its a pile of sh*t IMO.

Uh...did you miss the part where he's a cyborg?
Final Wars Gigan didn't look, act or move like a cyborg. He lacked that organic element that makes a cyborg a cyborg.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Did anyone else like the idea of Gigan having one arm that was a mace or ball and chain? I thought it was a pretty cool idea and would've made him super unique.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

A chain and mace arm would have been interesting, but the hammer claws worked just fine.

Bonekil
Ronin

Post by Bonekil »

I just love the way gigan looks, and what he does. The final wars version sucked in my opinion, and in godzilla vs. gigan at first, pretty much beat the crap out of him, like when he made godzilla bleed from the shoulder and how he pounded his forhead with his hooks. And also sliced anguirus' face, though he was an idiot doing that. Overall, I just love how he's ruthless and cool at the same time.
Bonekil. One L. Don't get it wrong

Just Plain Dan
G-Force Personnel

Post by Just Plain Dan »

Where it's this version or the FW version, one phrase sums up Gigan for me: What's not to love? :D

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

Dr. Professor wrote:Welcome to the forums, Bonekil! :mrgreen: Gigan is a pretty kick ass (and kind of creepy) villain. Except in Godzilla vs. Megalon. They really toned down his creepyness in that film. :(
I noticed a change in proportions in Gigan in Godzilla vs. Megalon. Gigan's neck seemed longer in Godzilla vs. Gigan, whereas in the follow-up movie his neck seemed slightly shorter, thinner, and his head seemed bigger. His cyclopic eye in the second movie seemed to droop down and away whereas in his first movie, his eye swept away and up; giving him a more angry expression.

Body-wise, GvM Gigan seemed to have a longer and stiffer torso than GvG Gigan. There might be a few more discrepancies, but these are the few I was readily able to spot.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I remember somewhere actually explaining what that weird flash coming from Gigan's forehead was after he was smacked in the head with that boulder... anyone have a link?
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

My favorite Godzilla villain. He's full of personality and was a formidable opponent for the King of The Monsters in his two appearances.

I just have to wonder, where does the machinery begin and the organics end?
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.