Trolling Godzilla Fans

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Re: Trolling Godzilla Fans

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

StardustGenius wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:24 pm I like the Showa movies more, but what's the issue with folks having the Heisei films as their favorite?
Nothing if it's just "Heisei is my favorite era."

But it always seems to be some variation of "Heisei is the best because of continuity/consistency, Showa isn't good because it's too campy/cheesy."
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

To troll Pipeworks fans, just say the PS4 game was a better and more fluid fighting game.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The issue is less about them liking them (like whatever you want, I dont care) and more about the way some elevate these movies while being completely unable to say anything complementary about the Showa series without knocking them down a peg.

Even when I was a teenager and preferred the Heisei series (thank God I grew up) I didn't do shit like that.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

It's weird to me how 20+ years ago there was an effort in fandom to ignore that the Showa movies existed or they were an aberration. Now there is, to me at least, some kind of "thing" going on with the Heisei series, as if they're an asterisk to the series, or people are dumb if they like or prefer them. Like Godzilla ended when the Showa series ended.

I think the group with the most chill Godzilla takes I have ever encountered are NJPW fans.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

StardustGenius wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:58 pm It's weird to me how 20+ years ago there was an effort in fandom to ignore that the Showa movies existed or they were an aberration. Now there is, to me at least, some kind of "thing" going on with the Heisei series, as if they're an asterisk to the series, or people are dumb if they like or prefer them. Like Godzilla ended when the Showa series ended.
I didn't see anyone doing any of that. Ive been on the internet since the mid 90s and there was never a period where fans tried to pretend the Showa series didn't exist. And even people who don't really like the entire Heisei series much are usually able to admit that G84 and Biollante are good films, and that King Ghidorah is a lot of fun.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It seems like were dealing with a generational issue here. There was a time when people grew up with the Heisei films, and they were the first G films they saw. They did see Showa films as well, but they began with the Heisei films, and thus formed a connection to them. Now we have the MV, and the Heisei films are becoming old school. However, they are not forgotten, as the films listed above are well reviewed by most. Older films will not be forgotten, but newer films are more available and popular with a younger generation of fans.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

I'm in that weird generation that grew up with all three main series. I either owned or rented most of the Showa films on VHS (or taped them off the Sci-Fi Channel), I had a couple of Heisei films on VHS and the Millennium movies were coming out when I was a young kid, I saw them via screenings at G-Fest and bootleg DVDs before TriStar put out legitimate releases. At age 7, I'm pretty sure I'd seen every existing Godzilla film except Godzilla vs. Gigan and The Return of Godzilla, and had ready access to at least 2/3 of them so I really didn't grow up with an "era bias" as many fans did. Like many on TK, I came to strongly favor the Showa series over the years but I didn't grow up a Showa snob. If anything, I think I had a slight Millennium preference as a kid.

Oh right, we're supposed to be trolling other fans in this thread, aren't we? Troll any Godzilla fan that didn't grow up with GFW by telling them that Don Frye is the best actor in a Godzilla movie, or that Captain Gordon is the best character. Bonus points for comparing him favorably to any other fan favorite "army guys" like Gondo and Tachibana.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Masakatsu Funaki being the EDF Mutant commander was a nice touch. Lots of MMA and Pro Wrestling cred in that movie. They should have cast Minoru Suzuki as a Xilian heavy, and really scare the hell out of folks.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I suppose if you really want to get people going just tell them that Gino is a better movie than Gojira.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:44 pm I suppose if you really want to get people going just tell them that Gino is a better movie than Gojira.
Yep, that’ll do it.

Or the polygon trilogy.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

I still think it's more effective trolling to say a mid-tier Godzilla film is better than the original. If you say GINO is better, any fan who isn't really gullible is either going to know you're trolling or assume your opinion is such shit, you aren't worth arguing with. Same goes for the anime trilogy, AMA, Megalon, Space Godzilla, etc. Now, if you were to say Godzilla 2000 is better than Godzilla 1954, or either version of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla is better than the original, that's a feasible enough opinion that it's likely to get some fanboys riled up.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I just keep using spellings like Angilas, Mogera, Kamakiras, Minya, Destroyer, Death Ghidorah, Ganime, and Kameba. The ones that FEEL right.

I KNOW that pisses people off to some degree.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:12 am I just keep using spellings like Angilas, Mogera, Kamakiras, Minya, Destroyer, Death Ghidorah, Ganime, and Kameba. The ones that FEEL right.

I KNOW that pisses people off to some degree.
As long as I know which ones you’re talking about, the alt spellings don’t really matter. Me, personally, I don’t use the likes of “Destroyer,” but I’ll use Minya or Angilas interchangeably.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Resized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

R/Godzilla, how can you piss them off? As someone who frequents it, do the following!

- Make a post appreciating Kong and not Godzilla, they’ll mob it.
- Say KOTM was bad. Similar results will occur.
- Say that Final Wars was the worst movie in the franchise.
- Tell them SHMA isn’t the only type of Godzilla figure (they hate this)
- Call their Vs Matchups stupid
- Say that their memes are unfunny

You don’t have to do anything especially smart, they’re mostly kids so they’d take the bait.
For Emperor and Empire!

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Dubs are better than subs.
International dubs are better than AIP dubs.
Bang Zoom's dub of The Mysterians was fine.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Voyager wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:47 am - Say KOTM was bad. Similar results will occur.
I've spoken my mind about this on Twitter, never once to troll; just my honest to God opinion.

More than a few people have absolutely hated me ever since. Some still follow me everywhere I go and pop up out of nowhere just to get pissy whenever I say anything that they don't happen to like.

The exact same thing happens to anyone who dares say something about KOTM that isn't "this was a great movie!" You say anything against that movie, and they'll throw a tantrum.

They're a...very interesting bunch.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:48 pm
Voyager wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:47 am - Say KOTM was bad. Similar results will occur.
I've spoken my mind about this on Twitter, never once to troll; just my honest to God opinion.

More than a few people have absolutely hated me ever since. Some still follow me everywhere I go and pop up out of nowhere just to get pissy whenever I say anything that they don't happen to like.

The exact same thing happens to anyone who dares say something about KOTM that isn't "this was a great movie!" You say anything against that movie, and they'll throw a tantrum.

They're a...very interesting bunch.
As someone who adores KOTM, I’m fine with other fans not getting much out of it. Not everyone is going to resonate with stories in the same way, some may not resonate at all. I get that. There are several things my friends like that I just never resonate with, and vice versa. That’s the nature of the beast.

Twitter doesn’t understand that basic concept and that disliking or feeling neutral toward something you like does NOT mean it invalidates what you feel for that story/thing.

Resized Image

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Post anything about Godzilla 98 on Facebook and watch the conversations multiply like angry rabbits

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Gojira1604 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:23 am Post anything about Godzilla 98 on Facebook and watch the conversations multiply like angry rabbits
Anything? Doesn't it really depend on what you're saying?

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:59 am
Gojira1604 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:23 am Post anything about Godzilla 98 on Facebook and watch the conversations multiply like angry rabbits
Anything? Doesn't it really depend on what you're saying?
Not really. There's a few people that will argue with anything you have to say regarding the topic, on both sides.