Monster Hunter General Thread 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Re: Monster Hunter General Thread 2.0

Post by master_of_monsters »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:51 am Here's the next monster teaser. These guys will be revealed tomorrow.
most likely fanged beast but a part of me is thinking brute wyvern for some reason
your source of self destruction

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

The new monster is apparently based on the "Namahage" Yokai.

From Yokai.com

"Namahage are frightful demon-like yokai which live in the mountains along the northern coast of the Sea of Japan. They look like oni, with bright red or blue skin, wild hair and eyes, large mouths full of sharp teeth, and often have horns sprouting from their forehead. They wear straw leggings and raincoats, and carry large blades."
Last edited by Dracosaurian on Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

New Monster Rise trailer.

- New area the "Frost Islands" revealed.

- New Fanged Beast Goss Harag revealed. It's based on the "Namahage" Yokai.

- The return of Mizutsune, Tigrex, Barioth, Lagombi, Great Baggi and Khezu.

- A more in depth look at the game's flagship Magnamalo.

- New mounting mechanic "Wyvern Riding" revealed.

If I've missed anything, here's the actual digital event.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

They brought back Mizutsune! I can die happy.

holy_granoli
Ronin

Post by holy_granoli »

I'm extremely excited by the new information they've shared today! The new mechanic looks PHENOMENAL (except conceptually it seems pretty f'd up :/) And the addition of personal favorites Mitsune and Lagombi kinda touched my heart.

Here's the newly revealed Goss Harag:
It appears to be inspired by Namahage, a creature from Japanese folklore. From what I've read, people dress up as namahage to scare their neighbors. :twisted:

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

I mean, pulling a monster around to do some fighting for you isn't all too far off from what you normally do to them in Monster Hunter. Coolness has always been the dominant factor in these games over realism or ecology, so I'm looking forward to trying it out in the demo. Still, call me if they ever make a Monster Hunter Research Safari game.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:07 pm I mean, pulling a monster around to do some fighting for you isn't all too far off from what you normally do to them in Monster Hunter. Coolness has always been the dominant factor in these games over realism or ecology, so I'm looking forward to trying it out in the demo. Still, call me if they ever make a Monster Hunter Research Safari game.
or a JP trespasser type game where you're a non hunter and are stranded in the wilds and have to sneak around things like rathalos and other predators to get back to civilization

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

master_of_monsters wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:17 pm
Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:07 pm I mean, pulling a monster around to do some fighting for you isn't all too far off from what you normally do to them in Monster Hunter. Coolness has always been the dominant factor in these games over realism or ecology, so I'm looking forward to trying it out in the demo. Still, call me if they ever make a Monster Hunter Research Safari game.
or a JP trespasser type game where you're a non hunter and are stranded in the wilds and have to sneak around things like rathalos and other predators to get back to civilization
Could implement those two ideas into the same game. You're a researcher sent to observe and record the habits and life cycles of monsters, but since they're still MH monsters there's always the danger of being discovered and promptly torn to shreds, so you have to sneak around to get close to things like nests and manage stuff like hunting blinds and emergency hides in case you're spotted.

Diablos
Ronin

Post by Diablos »

Really excited for Goss Harag. Reminds me of Redhelm Arzuros but better. Bears are such cool and powerful animals and it was a shame to have all of them be designed as low-tier monsters (Save for Redhelm and Snowbaron, but even those were just low-tier monsters with the stats and size pumped up to ridiculous levels).

I noticed the maps of Rise seem to be deliberately dull and dreary. I think it's a thematic thing rather than a flaw of design. Rise is about the precarious balance of civilization and nature with things like the Rampage bringing the two into conflict. All the maps in Rise so far have landmarks that are evidence of mankind losing the battle against nature: The shrine ruins, the temple in the Flooded forest, the frozen remnants of a great battle with an Elder Dragon... I really like the concept if that's what they were going for.

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

Diablos wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:57 pm Really excited for Goss Harag. Reminds me of Redhelm Arzuros but better. Bears are such cool and powerful animals and it was a shame to have all of them be designed as low-tier monsters (Save for Redhelm and Snowbaron, but even those were just low-tier monsters with the stats and size pumped up to ridiculous levels).
I knoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. I never liked Arzuros much because of that.

Diablos
Ronin

Post by Diablos »

Finally got to play the Rise Demo, way behind everyone else. It's amazing!

Mizutsune is shockingly tough, much harder than he was in Generations Ultimate (Even at G-Rank). At first I was feeling cold on the Silkbind moves (I'm not a huge fan of Hunter Arts), but I'm warming up on them. Dual Blades and Hammer are my usual mains, but I also tried out Light Bowgun, Greatsword, Lance, and Sword and Shield. Love the Shrine Ruins as a map; at first it was a bit annoying to navigate, but now I have a good grasp on getting from point A to point B.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I think what I really like about the Wirebug in general is that it has lots of different applications for movement, offense and defense but it's all tied to the same resource so you have to decide what's worth doing and when, whereas with Hunter Arts there was really no reason not to use them as soon as they were up, provided you had the opening. I've gotten used to traversing the map but I think it'll be smoother in the full game when we can have different camps, going on different routes to pick up specific buffs and items depending on what you're fighting will be fun.

All of the weapons feel so good in this one that I'm genuinely not sure which one to main. Even ones that I've previously slept on feel awesome.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

holy_granoli
Ronin

Post by holy_granoli »

For those that don't already know, you can reset the number of tries per quest back to 30 by deleting the demo's save data in the Switch settings under 'data management'.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

- New monsters are Rakna-Kadaki and Almudron.

- Returning monsters are Basarios, Volvidon, Delex, Diablos, and Rajang.

- The reveal of the "Lava Caverns" and a revamped "Sandy Plains".

- Rampage gameplay and the reveal of "Apex" monsters. Not the ones from MH4U mind you.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Some gameplay videos of Bishaten and Khezu.

A tour of Kamura Village.

MH Rise will be released on PC as well.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

New confirmed monsters: Otachi and Chameleos.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

As hyped as I am for Rise, I'm depressed that none of y'all are talking about MH Stories 2. The original was like MH meets Pokemon, and it was fucking great.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:19 am As hyped as I am for Rise, I'm depressed that none of y'all are talking about MH Stories 2. The original was like MH meets Pokemon, and it was skreeonking great.
I don't really play turn based games but its monster hunter so I will

holy_granoli
Ronin

Post by holy_granoli »

Anybody got Megalomalon in the demo? Only got him once but it's still a good fight.

holy_granoli
Ronin

Post by holy_granoli »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:19 am As hyped as I am for Rise, I'm depressed that none of y'all are talking about MH Stories 2. The original was like MH meets Pokemon, and it was skreeonking great.
I've poured many hours into MH Stories on 3DS. That game is damn near perfect in my reckoning and is undoubtedly in my top 10 most favourite games. I agree that more people shouldn't overlook the upcoming game in the midst of all the hype surrounding Rise. There just hasn't been a whole lot of information to generate hype in the last 6 months since it was first announced but I'm excited to get it all the same. :D