What Toy Did You Just Buy?

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: What Toy Did You Just Buy?

Post by G1985 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:08 am I believe there's only one in existence. It just transfers from one collector to another. They say if you look into its eyes, it consumes your soul. It leaves you an empty husk of a human being with only trace amounts of what you once were.
Every year, on December 16, the red Minya comes to life and seeks out the wallet of the unfortunate soul who owns him. If Minya locates the wallet, two things will happen: the wallet will be found the next morning with all credit cards maxed out, any cash missing, and all related e-payment methods (online banking, Venmo, Paypal, Apple Pay, etc) will suffer password lockouts and will not be accessible until the next month, while 2) the owner's kaiju holy grail will appear for sale at a local flea market at a reasonable price.
Last edited by G1985 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Is it this one?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yup, that's it. That photo goes back at least 25 years. Three of those figures eventually ended up in my collection.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Oh wow. Neat

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:44 am Image
That's a nice round-up of MMS figures. It's weird that if you just saw that image, you'd think that MMS is compeltely fine and not degrading in quality. All of them, for the most part, have nice sculpts, and a decent amount of paint applied to them (maybe not under Battra's wings).
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Well yeah, perhaps if you had no idea of Bandai's history you'd absolutely think that, LSD. But the two best figures there were sculpted in 2002 and 2004 (MGII and G84) while the Megagiras is just a smoothed over version of a superior sculpt from 23 years ago. That leaves Battra, Gorosaurus and Varan, and two of those are lower in quality than the original Bandai versions from 3 decades ago.

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

Ordered a plethora of Bandai vinyls on HLJ

MMS Godziban Rodan, Godziban Little, Mothra Larva 2003, Gamera 1996 and Kamen Rider Black Sun + Shadowmoon that are backordered so everything is sitting in my private warehouse until they're back in stock (hopefully in time to ship all at once)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Lots of stuff over the past week!
Spoiler:
Vinyl Paradise Blue Kamacuras (unopened)
Two CCP Godzilla figures (Burning and Millennium)
Spoiler:
An old Gyaos Bandai Vinyl, and a Banana Yellow YMSF Hedorah!

Love this one!

Anyways, I'm out of shelf space and desperately need to expand!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

CCP Middle Size Series Burning Godzilla (meltdown colors)

Always loved the color combo of translucent orange, yellow and/or red

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Yellow Hedorah is adorable. I love the glitter and googly eyes.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

The SHMA Shin Godzilla Awakening Figure.
Saw a chance and took it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

One of these is not like the others!

Anyways, all of these old 8 inch bandais are in immaculate shape, minus of the feet not properly aligning with the "ground".

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Had some long overdue figures arrive finally yesterday and today.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Nice pics^

The lighting+the varying colors of Marusans work well. I like your purple hedorah.

I decided instead of getting the BioGoji to get the Rose form but I'm still waiting on that. I think I'm done actively buying for the time being.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

The stylized vinyl shelf is the last part of my collection that needs LEDs, so Im excited to finally hang those up and make it really look perfect. Im in love with the look of the colorful vinyls + all my figure boxes in the background.

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

An Ultraman Geed Ultra Capsule set
(Ultimate Zero, Kaiser Belial, Zogu 2nd form and Five King)

UPDATE: Guess you can 5 Spark Doll/Ultra 500/Ultra Monster Series figures to that, smh, I've been spending way too much the past 2 months
Last edited by {---HYPERZeTToN---} on Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Finally started cracking into my 2023 budget and preordered a couple of MMS figures and the upcoming Ultra 500 Red King II and Gigas on HobbyLink.

I set my spending amount pre-inflation (Japan) and kept the amount low by design. I should have enough to get the new Ebirah and Baragon and a few others, but from there on out I'm going to have to be choosy.

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Super7 Super Cyborg Megazord (clear red ver.)

It's on sale until tomorrow on BBTS lol

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

SMG is here, and I immediately compared him with Mecha93. It is still an objectively disappointing figure, but I'm not totally bummed out -- the droopy missiles are bothering me more than the scale, even. He looks fine next to SpaceGodzilla, Destoroyah, Biollante, or basically anyone besides Godzilla himself, Rodan or Varan. He's still underscaled and that's still annoying, but it feels a bit less egregious seeing how many other kaiju are also underscaled in person. I do like the simplified paint scheme, which does look better in person, and I really like the improved proportions. He's less rounded than Mecha93, which I think is an improvement. A missed opportunity nonetheless.

My 2023 arrivals so far. The later SpaceGodzilla is an improvement on the 2003 mms, I found, and the newer Kiryu with two hands is an improvement on the drill hand to me as well, although I crave a painted tail...
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

The proportions and ESPECIALLY the head sculpt are WAY better. I never realized how odd the old sculpt looked until now. Scale is a bit of a deal breaker for me personally, not that it mattered since I needed an MG to scale with my 8 inch figures, not 6 inch. Probably going to get that DX figure.