What Toy Did You Just Buy?

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
subatomic_Matt
GPN Volunteer

Re: What Toy Did You Just Buy?

Post by subatomic_Matt »

Creature22 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:24 pm
subatomic_Matt wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:03 pm I hadn’t thought of it but a ‘91 Ghidorah would be wild!
And they’ve got the rights I believe (anything he has done a Marugacha for I believe he is also able to do as 350/450). I’m really hoping for the Flying Destoroyah but think King Ghidorah holds a lot of potential as an impressive 450 figure. Imagine something like that with a glitter-injected vinyl or metallic spray.
Executive Hamster wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:22 pm The Marusan 350/450 lines are definitely the ones Im most excited to follow going forward. Ive essentially completed my bandai collection, aside from I think 4 other figures I need. Ive got maybe a handful more YMSF figures I want. Its time for something new, and Marusan scratches that itch for me. I really hope they continue with more Heisei stuff, as well as more Showa stuff of course. I just really want Destoroyah and Spacegodzilla, and Ghidorah. Hell, Mothra and Battra Imago too would be nice. Ive got a Marmit Mothra in the meantime, but if they can do a nice Marusan Mothra I will sell that Marmit in a heartbeat.
When I was told they got the rights to do Heisei in 2018 I was super excited. I collected many of their modern "Showa" releases in the 2000s and always wished they'd continue the line, so it's cool to think about what might come out next.

For a period I believe they were also planning more Showa stuff for the anniversary of "Destory All Monsters" (I think the idea was that every monster would be made), but I guess that didn't end up coming to fruition. I would have loved to see them do the '68 Manda, but I think in general it's difficult to do that many characters (especially new ones) in a short amount of time.
Yeah, it‘s “modern” Marusan that got me into buying non-Bandai figures waaaaay back with the 1954 Godzilla. Since then I’ve bought all of the Marusan’s I’ve wanted and used a few Marmit or M1 to fill in what else I wanted. M1 GMK Baragon or the Marmit Parababy Atragon/Manda set, for example.

I didn’t know about the “Destroy All Monsters” anniversary plans and that’s so frustrating that they didn’t come to fruition. A real Manda (and Varan) would have been so cool!

And speaking of Marusan, it’s baffling to me why so many of those great 2000’s molds aren’t reused more often by the company.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Wholeheartedly agree. Marusan was my gateway into the “vintage” stuff when I was younger but I started with many of the modern figures before moving to reissues. Their incredible Anguirus ‘55 is what hooked me.

I was told about the “Destroy All Monsters” idea when I attended one of their Pop Up events in 2018. My guess is that it might have been too costly/ambitious, but Godzilla 1989 and Biollante had also just been revealed through Marugacha so I think a lot of the focus was on finishing the 350 versions for 2019. Marusan only had the rights to do Showa until that point- they actually had the rights to ‘84 as well, but willingly skipped it to do ‘89.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

My son decided at the last minute that he wanted to get his younger brother the Godziban Minya and Little Godzilla MMS figures for his birthday to go with his Gojikun. They won’t get here in time (his birthday’s in about a week) but I went ahead and ordered them. And I figured, if I’m ordering those I might as well grab the Rodan and Angilas for the kids too. And if they’re getting a bunch of new toys, what’s the harm in getting myself a little something? So I added Gamera ‘96 to the cart. Lol. I’m so weak.

Legion will be happy to know I ordered from Showcase Daikaiju since they were the only place that had all of them available :P ;)

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

This beautiful Anguirus from Marusan

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Wow, it's a Burning Anguirus! :)
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Just ordered the Bandai 84 and Super Mechagodzilla. First purchases of 2023 and kicking it off on the right foot hopefully.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Annnnnnnd 2023 begins.

Deforeal Godzilla 1973

2005 Marmit 1975 MechaGodzilla

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I now own the whole set of Tomy Gamera mini figures. They were REALLY oily out of the box, which is a first for me, but thanks to MM's advice I seem to have cleaned them up. I didn't realize these figures came with candy. Think I should give it a try? XD

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Executive Hamster wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:37 pm I now own the whole set of Tomy Gamera mini figures. They were REALLY oily out of the box, which is a first for me, but thanks to MM's advice I seem to have cleaned them up. I didn't realize these figures came with candy. Think I should give it a try? XD
Oh! I have those too and I’m curious how you cleaned them. I did baby soap+warm gentle water. I was actually considering making a separate thread about goo and oil, and wondering if it was a common thing but I think this answers my question.

Anyways, this was from a few weeks ago when I went to Tokyo for vacation:

RED Marusan Hedorah
Shiny Sparkling Marusan Angurius
Godzilla vs. Kong Movie Monster Set (got this for a pretty good deal with just the figures, not the blu-ray for 6000 yen!
Some TOMY Gamera figures
Artspirits Godzilla-T
Godziban Angurius and Rodan
Godzilla Bones Gashapon (fuck this thing, impossible to assemble and I've given up)
Sega King Kong
Various Mech Gashapons
Godzilla vs. Baragon small vinyl figures.
Pretty great haul overall.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:40 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:37 pm I now own the whole set of Tomy Gamera mini figures. They were REALLY oily out of the box, which is a first for me, but thanks to MM's advice I seem to have cleaned them up. I didn't realize these figures came with candy. Think I should give it a try? XD
Oh! I have those too and I’m curious how you cleaned them. I did baby soap+warm gentle water. I was actually considering making a separate thread about goo and oil, and wondering if it was a common thing but I think this answers my question.

Anyways, this was from a few weeks ago when I went to Tokyo for vacation:

RED Marusan Hedorah
Shiny Sparkling Marusan Angurius
Godzilla vs. Kong Movie Monster Set (got this for a pretty good deal with just the figures, not the blu-ray for 6000 yen!
Some TOMY Gamera figures
Artspirits Godzilla-T
Godziban Angurius and Rodan
Godzilla Bones Gashapon (fuck this thing, impossible to assemble and I've given up)
Sega King Kong
Various Mech Gashapons
Godzilla vs. Baragon small vinyl figures.
Pretty great haul overall.
I think that's the same red Hedorah I got when I decided against the 50th anniversary Jizzorah. I'll totally buy the bones from ya though. ;)

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

MoK 13
GPN Volunteer

Post by MoK 13 »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:42 am Just got the Yuji Sakai Godzilla 1984 Poster Version.
Poster version?
Godzilla Vs Megalon was my first in 1976, Damn I'm old.

We might get vaporized along with this base before long. Let’s just relax and have some coffee

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

My Mondo Energy Spore Biollante has arrived, a month ahead of schedule.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

MoK 13 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:03 am
shadowgigan wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:42 am Just got the Yuji Sakai Godzilla 1984 Poster Version.
Poster version?
Yep, it is a resin kit!
http://www.kaijukits.com/library/zokei/ ... poster.htm
Last edited by shadowgigan on Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoK 13
GPN Volunteer

Post by MoK 13 »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:04 pm
Poster version?
Yep, it is a resin kit!

That is BU BU BAD ASS!
Godzilla Vs Megalon was my first in 1976, Damn I'm old.

We might get vaporized along with this base before long. Let’s just relax and have some coffee

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

MoK 13 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:37 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:04 pm

Poster version?
Yep, it is a resin kit!

That is BU BU BAD ASS!
Yes it is! I got mine for a good deal, many broken parts, so it's going to be a fun process to restore it to greatness!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

A great big box of goods arrived from Buyee today - much too big of a box, in fact. As good of a service as Buyee has been with my last few purchases, their "consolidated packaging" option really backfires when dealing with multiple, larger items from different sellers/websites. I probably ended up paying double for these items just on the final shipping cost. *sigh* Some lessons are learned the hard way. I'll be more mindful of how I buy through Buyee, Mercari, etc. in the future.
With that out of the way, I am very excited to have these items at last!

Bandai Movie Monsters (Godzilla Store exclusive - Godzilla 1984
A bit late to the party, but a happy member all the same. This is a beautiful sculpt and surely one of Bandai's finest Godzilla figures. It feels a little surreal to hold one in hand after so many years as a Memorial Box exclusive. Annoyingly, the Godzilla Store required shipping this figure independently of any other items (I was also buying some of the Authentic Visual books), so that didn't help with the overall shipping prices. I'll have to watch for that in future releases just in case.

Bandai Ultra Monsters - Hyper Hobby Peguila
Peguila shot into my favorite monsters list after finally watching Ultra Q for the first time a few years ago, so I've been wanting to get myself a good representation of him for my collection. Bandai delivered yet another superb figure with this vinyl; all of the variants look nice, but I decided to risk paying a little extra for the Hyper Hobby release, which also has a nice little storage box.

Bandai Ultra Battle Sets - Ultraman vs. Baltan & Mebius vs. Gomora
I have to admit: I bought these primarily for the Gomora, which has possibly been the equivalent of a "grail" item for me. I've never liked the lifeless head sculpt of the standard Bandai Gomora, but any other variants have either been extremely hard to find, or popped up in my searches when I couldn't actually put down the money for them. I've been waiting for this blasted figure for probably over ten years now!
The rest of the set contents are certainly cool too, though; I'll have to take some time soon and play around with the buildings and try out some diorama shots.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Another little item arrived today in a separate shipment:

I'm not really sure about the history behind this fella; I assumed from the listing that it was around the size of a spark doll, but in fact it's even smaller: about 3.5", so more in scale with Hyper Godzilla figures or the 5 Below minifigures.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

My Gyaos collection grows!

The Godzilla Tokyo Sos boxset is awesome. I got it for around 60 USD and that's a steal to me considering most bandais now sell new for like 30ish. I don't have the Kiryu saga Goji in my collection, so having that figure in a special form is really awesome to me. Kiryu is obviously one of the most produced bandai vinyls, but hey, it comes with unique damage and it's drill arm activated; it's something I don't have. Plus, the set includes two stylized Shojibin, so it's great.

Next is Bandai Minya: glad this little fella is in my collection, I used to have a bootleg of him. He's small and cutesy...

And about to be munched on by hungry Gyaos!

X-Plus Gyaos is all I ever needed. I think the figure is a little damaged (check the feet) but it surprisingly still stands well, and inadvertently mimics the moment in the film where Gyaos is re-growing his foot, so I really don't care. I got it for cheap. I also coincidentally got a sealed-unopened clear one. I'm not sure if I want to even open it, it's sort of cooler to have it just in the box on display as it's not painted, but we'll see.

Marusan flying Gyaos...

This was a disappointment. Some of the paint is off, and looks hastily done (the orange on the underside of the wings, the yellow in the eyes), and the figures colors are just dull. Marusan is known for a lot of their bright and colorful creations, and let it be known I'm not a big fan of "film accurate colorations of these things", that's why I have the X-Plus Gyaos.

Overall, decent haul. I do have a lot of Gyaos now.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:04 am I got it for around 60 USD and that's a steal to me considering most bandais now sell new for like 30ish.
Oh man, I don't think Ive ever seen that set go under the $100 range. I kinda want it, exclusively for the Shobijin.
X-Plus Gyaos is all I ever needed.
Not an Xplus guy at all, which Ive gone over before, but outside of the G98 the only other Xplus figures Ive considered getting have been Gyaos. I think they fit in surprisingly well with Bandai's figures. I definitely am considering the Space Gyaos.
Marusan is known for a lot of their bright and colorful creations, and let it be known I'm not a big fan of "film accurate colorations of these things",
Glad I am not the only one who feels this way. Its why I don't care for the Mondo film accurate Bio and most Deforeals. It just feels weird to have a stylized sculpt with normal ass colors.