What Toy Did You Just Buy?

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: What Toy Did You Just Buy?

Post by _JNavs_ »

Where are you guys getting Gigabrains and marmits etc? I never see anything on Amiami and I don’t dare check for them on eBay lol
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Well, fuck it. I said I wasn't going to buy anymore, but this figure that I've been trying to get my hands on, and went out of stock very quickly, just restocked:

38 CM tall apparently. It'll easily be the largest and most commanding figure in my collection. I normally don't purchase X-Plus or "realistic/accurate" figures, but this looks amazing. It was pretty expensive too...
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:01 pm Where are you guys getting Gigabrains and marmits etc? I never see anything on Amiami and I don’t dare check for them on eBay lol
I got mine on eBay lol.
--------------------------------------------

ANYWAYS, I bit the bullet and made one final purchase for the year.
Mondo Energy Spore Biollante

A few days ago I noticed "hey, Mondo actually hasn't sold out of these yet" and figured I would hope and pray that they didn't before I got paid, but then I realized I could do a payment plan that doesn't charge me until late January, so I took that deal. I'll be paying $15 a month theoretically (most likely I'll just pay it off in one go when I can)

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:01 pm Where are you guys getting Gigabrains and marmits etc? I never see anything on Amiami and I don’t dare check for them on eBay lol
This would probably make a good thread on its own. But in truth, it’s a great question without a definitive answer. You *can* find fair deals on eBay. But you have to be patient, diligent (check often), and an educated shopper (know what you are looking at and what a fair price is).

There used to be several popular American dealers that were good sources for designer vinyl in their heyday of the early 2000’s. Places like Clawmark Toys, Mike Johnson, etc. But most, if not all of those sources seem to have disappeared. I hear the Facebook groups are kinda where a lot of that traffic/business migrated but I’m not on it so can’t say for sure. Maybe legion can chime in on that.

But the nature of designer vinyl has meant they’ve ALWAYS been a bit more challenging to acquire. They’re usually produced in pretty small batches and often only sold for a couple days, in person, at conventions or events. Some will be sold via online lottery systems and whatnot as well. There was a time where Marmit produced and distributed some figures through more traditional methods that made them a little easier to get through specialty shops (kinda like going to a local comic shop and ordering something from the diamond catalogue) but I get the impression they don’t do that much anymore.

Anyway, places to get things currently involve some legwork and research. You might still be able to find a US based source if you ask the right people and stay on top of new release news (it’s always easier to get these right when they come out as opposed to trying to play catch up). But other current sources include Mandarake, yahoojapan, eBay (again if you do your homework first and have lots of patience), and it looks like Showcase Daikaiju is the one dealer I can find that still somewhat regularly has new ones on their site for sale. Based on that I’d bet showcase has the connections to acquire other designer vinyls if you’re looking for a specific one. They’d be one of the first places I’d ask if I couldn’t find it myself.

I haven’t been there in several years, but Toy Tokyo in NYC used to be a solid source as well, but you had to go in person. They’re still around and I’d bet they still carry some designer vinyls (they used to have a pretty darn big selection).

Also, you’ll always see some at G-fest every year. And asking around in the dealer room might lead to some contacts for future sources if your looking for them.

Lastly, Monsters Lab in Tokyo (http://monsters-labo.com/) still seems to be in business and sources a lot of the more boutique products. The owner is super nice and speaks good enough English to be able to communicate. But again, it’s far easier to get things right as they come out. And be prepared for the high shipping fees from japan.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Double box day - feauring some awesome presents for myself - just in time for christmas! :D

Last edited by Petezilla on Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Size DOES matter!

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

The Mega Landing Shin Ultraman is a great figure. Easily one of my favorites this year.

I’ve got that and Chandlar from the Ultra 500 line. MMS Godzilla ‘84 is on the way!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:07 am
This would probably make a good thread on its own. But in truth, it’s a great question without a definitive answer.
Unrelated question but where are the best places to follow new releases with these stylized figure companies? The normal news sources I follow for the hobby typically don't post about these types of figures, so most of the ones I buy I have no idea what year they are from.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:14 pmUnrelated question but where are the best places to follow new releases with these stylized figure companies? The normal news sources I follow for the hobby typically don't post about these types of figures, so most of the ones I buy I have no idea what year they are from.
I’d say their websites or social media, if you can buy from them directly. I’m a longtime collector of Marusan and follow them on IG, but many of their releases are limited to Japan. So I’ll see what they’re releasing and if it’s something I really want, I browse Buyee and Mandarake. So far it has been a reasonable way to track down what I’m looking for.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Yeah, I honestly don’t know the best way to keep up with designer vinyl new releases. In the last decade I’ve averaged less than one figure a year in this particular category. Heck, the last one I bought was a Marmit MH Ebirah at G-fest 2019. But that figure was released in 2002 according to the mark on the tail…

I usually just happen to stumble on stuff at random. And I often find out too late that something new came out.

A recent example: I stumbled across a company I’ve never heard of a couple weeks ago called Passion Tank. They’ve made some gorgeous Shin and ‘64 Godzilla figures.

This blog seems to be pretty on top of stuff. No idea who runs it or where they get their info.

https://www.kaijubattle.net/

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Interesting you bring up Passion Tank because I hadn't even heard of that company until like 3 days ago lol. Definitely want that 64. But I digress. Ive seen that blog in passing a few times. Guess I'll try and follow it.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Somebody come stop me. Been on an absolute figure buying spree.
This will definitely be my last purchases for the year, and probably at least until the end of January, since I got two birthdays and two big trips to prep for. Glad I could go out with a bang for this year, and meanwhile next year I may or may not have arrangements to get an Akametenshi figure...

In anycase, I bought a variety of minis:
Some Marusan Marugacha figures
Loved the colors on this one, think its a 64?
Biollante, of course. Recently became my favorite kaiju, Im sure my recent purchases reflect that

And the whole set of Tomy Gamera minis
These will hopefully add some size variety to my stylized vinyl shelf, since thats the way I like to display things, different scales all grouped together.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

-snip-
Thanks for all the information!! I knew they had to be super limited in release somehow due to those $250-$900+ price tags and near-impossible availability lol. Do you know of any Vinyl groups on FB by chance?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Cool haul! The Marusan stuff is always great. I've got some OG ones on my shelf; they're the only figures I don't rotate out.
Executive Hamster wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:25 am Somebody come stop me. Been on an absolute figure buying spree.
I guess if you want to be stopped, tracking your spending or setting a limit for each month is a good way to prevent from going overboard. I've cut down on purchases by quite a bit (been selling a lot of stuff too), but I'm thinking of trying a small budget or "limit" for 2023 and seeing how it goes.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Managed to snag a Grand King Ghidorah for a deal so I should see it next week

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:07 pm
-snip-
Thanks for all the information!! I knew they had to be super limited in release somehow due to those $250-$900+ price tags and near-impossible availability lol. Do you know of any Vinyl groups on FB by chance?
Like I said, I don’t use Facebook. But Legion1979 has mentioned numerous times he runs a Godzilla collectors group on there. I’d contact him.

Also, be careful of those high prices on eBay. Most of them are complete ripoffs.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:56 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:07 pm
-snip-
Like I said, I don’t use Facebook. But Legion1979 has mentioned numerous times he runs a Godzilla collectors group on there. I’d contact him.

Also, be careful of those high prices on eBay. Most of them are complete ripoffs.
Oh I’m sorry, I must’ve missed that key bit, it’s been a long week lol! Thanks though I’ll keep an eye out!

For the moment I might stick to hunting down my childhood Bandai grails, but who knows I might come across a Marmit Burning Godzilla that I absolutely need one day

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

On my group people usual post about upcoming figures like Marusans and Gigabrains. Mike Johnson and Sean Linkenback both frequent the group, so they'd be the guys to talk to. Mike will preorder upcoming items and Sean will usually get some for his website. James Bond (Radioactive Toys) and Jordan Twinning tend to get Gigabrains in too.

Things aren't the way they were in the 2000s, and I don't buy these types of items anymore but a FB grpup is really your best bet.

EDIT: I also recommend Mike Johnson's own group, Club Tokyo. Obviously he posts more frequently there, so that'd be the place to go if you're interested as well.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:43 pm Managed to snag a Grand King Ghidorah for a deal so I should see it next week
Fantastic! I love that figure.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:29 pm On my group people usual post about upcoming figures like Marusans and Gigabrains. Mike Johnson and Sean Linkenback both frequent the group, so they'd be the guys to talk to. Mike will preorder upcoming items and Sean will usually get some for his website. James Bond (Radioactive Toys) and Jordan Twinning tend to get Gigabrains in too.

Things aren't the way they were in the 2000s, and I don't buy these types of items anymore but a FB grpup is really your best bet.

EDIT: I also recommend Mike Johnson's own group, Club Tokyo. Obviously he posts more frequently there, so that'd be the place to go if you're interested as well.
Thanks a lot Legion! I’ll check these out!

Added in 27 minutes 54 seconds:
G-Matt wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:32 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:43 pm Managed to snag a Grand King Ghidorah for a deal so I should see it next week
Fantastic! I love that figure.
Right? It’s been a wanted grail of mine since I was a little kid! It was quite pricey but I’ve interacted with the seller many times in the past, so he was willing to give me a deal, $180 NIB. Still a bit costly but I figured it’ll be a nice Christmas gift to myself.

Plus it seems like the best Bandai Ghidorah in the entire line!
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Merry Christmas, and Happy Sol Invictus (Ave Satanas)
Using my Christmas money I went and made one last purchase. This time ACTUALLY the last purchase.

Marmit Mothra

I thought the color scheme was unique and the price was very reasonable. I have a metric shit ton of figures on the way now so Im going to cool it until February most likely, when the YMSF Biollante should be coming out.

Added in 47 minutes 32 seconds:
Petezilla wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:04 am Image
Hold on, I didnt even notice you had those Fantazzy? Hedorahs in the back. Thats what they are called right? Anyways, love those figures. Been trying to get one. Mind taking a picture that shows them in more detail, if you can.