What Toy Did You Just Buy?

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What Toy Did You Just Buy?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Now for the main course:

I have a 1992 Showa Bandai Rodan, which includes it's tag and is in fantastic condition considering it's 30 years old. Several Iwakura figures, including Maguma, Ebirah, and one of the Matango people. Then I have this Marusan "baby Godzilla" and the old Bandai Showa Baragon.

That brings us to the Meganulon...

Marmit Meganulon.

What a fantastic figure. It's big, bizarre, and commands presence. Meganulon is a rather insignificant monster overall, but I love how crazy this figure looks in my collection. I'm tempted to buy more variations on this if I see them.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Good stuff. A word of caution on the Iwakura “shiei” ‘65 Godzilla. I’ve had two of them and the thin plastic rod that holds him up snapped on both. Not from anything I did but just from the weight of the figure itself while sitting undisturbed on the shelf. Don’t be surprised to randomly find Godzilla lying prostrate beside the little base one day.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:31 pm Good stuff. A word of caution on the Iwakura “shiei” ‘65 Godzilla. I’ve had two of them and the thin plastic rod that holds him up snapped on both. Not from anything I did but just from the weight of the figure itself while sitting undisturbed on the shelf. Don’t be surprised to randomly find Godzilla lying prostrate beside the little base one day.
Then he'd just look like Godzilla from vs. the Sea Monster!

But thanks for the heads up. I'm curious what you did after that. Did you fix it? Or just call it a loss? I may remove it from the base and take it out for special occasions if that's the case.

I really like the Iwakura figures though. So many obscure monsters that otherwise wouldn't get a figure.

I also realized, in a short span, I've purchased Baby Rodan (Iwakura), Showa Rodan (Bandai), Meganulon (Marmit), and Megagurius (Bandai MMS). Amazing!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

For a while I was able to kinda prop the figure up on what remained of the post so it still looked right, he was just not as high up in the air. But eventually he started falling over again and the plastic rod started crumbling/snapping into ever smaller pieces. I thought about cutting off the plastic rod and drilling out the hole to replace it with a little metal post but never got around to it. So both of them are stuck in storage for the foreseeable future.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

With the arrival of the Shinagawa Battle Kiryu today, I'm one step closer to getting the last few SHMA's I'm going out of my way to acquire (unless they issue a G84 any time soon). :D After that; I plan to grab up a couple of Super7's and MMS figures, and call off my spree of Godzilla collecting for the time being. I'm definitely glad a lot of monsters now have figures that either didn't exist or were so outdated that they commanded a high price just a decade ago when I wasn't buying because I genuinely could not afford it; but even with the spending limits I set per paycheck and hawkish price watching I've been doing, it almost feels like there's now too much out there sometimes
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Got the Playmates Collectable Figures set. I like the sculpts, given their size.

Formerly known as kurtzilla

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Finally got my Mei last week. :D

Last edited by G-Matt on Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Cute! Nendoroids are something I could probably get into easily - if they averaged $20 less.

I had a couple of boxes come in today and yesterday, one from Entertainment Earth and one from HobbyLink Japan.

I got these two sets with a handy discount code to ease the gouge. The Hedorah set is pretty great, as expected. SP Rodan is neat, too, but a little smaller and stiffer than I might have anticipated. It's still a good figure, though; another Rodan in the collection is a win. This is also the first time I've bought an SHMA in... probably 5 years, at least?

Then this big bunch arrived impressively quickly from HLJ just today! It's a bit surreal having a vinyl Battra and Megaguirus in my hands. Of course, Daimajin and all the Ultra monsters are lovely, too (a Sevengar at last, hooray!).

I'm expecting one more box to hopefully show up in around a week's time...
Last edited by Rody on Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm wondering if Bandai plans to use that Pagos mold to create the Showa Baragon figure.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:37 pm I'm wondering if Bandai plans to use that Pagos mold to create the Showa Baragon figure.
I would certainly hope not. The Ultra 500 figures are tiny.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:37 pm I'm wondering if Bandai plans to use that Pagos mold to create the Showa Baragon figure.
I was impressed with the figure as one of my first Ultra 500s. Assuming it's scaled up appropriately, the body is a pretty good start for a new Baragon. The tail seems a little short to me but I've only seen maybe one official photo with the original Baragon's tail so you probably would know better than me. Plus the obvious new head.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

A quadrapedal Showa Baragon, heavily influenced by the Pagos figure, would dissapoint me. I have the old Baragon Bandai (see above) and I love how it looks with it's grimace and head poking out. I guess I stand to benefit from a quadrapedal stance, for variety, but it would still bother me.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:10 pm A quadrapedal Showa Baragon, heavily influenced by the Pagos figure, would dissapoint me. I have the old Baragon Bandai (see above) and I love how it looks with it's grimace and head poking out. I guess I stand to benefit from a quadrapedal stance, for variety, but it would still bother me.
That's a valid point. If they rescale the original Bandai figure, that would be fine with me as well, but with the new Varan being a quadraped I was wondering if that was a sign they would do the same to Baragon... although it's definitely true Baragon spent much more of his limited screentime on two legs than Varan.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

As long as they don't do the GMK Baragon "squating" pose he's stuck in. I'd prefer a quad. stance, but if they can make him look good upright, it's cool.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

JVM wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:28 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:10 pm A quadrapedal Showa Baragon, heavily influenced by the Pagos figure, would dissapoint me. I have the old Baragon Bandai (see above) and I love how it looks with it's grimace and head poking out. I guess I stand to benefit from a quadrapedal stance, for variety, but it would still bother me.
That's a valid point. If they rescale the original Bandai figure, that would be fine with me as well, but with the new Varan being a quadraped I was wondering if that was a sign they would do the same to Baragon... although it's definitely true Baragon spent much more of his limited screentime on two legs than Varan.
Go back and watch Frankenstein Conquers the World. Baragon spends most of the film on four legs. He only gets up on two legs when he's fighting Frankenstein but crawling is his primary way of getting around. You never see him actually walking any distance on two legs, unlike Varan.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Well, Baragon is prominently pictured standing on his hind legs on most of those old "Destroy all Monsters" group photos. And the recent Baragon from the BANDAI Premium line was quadruped already. I don't think they would do amost the same figure yet again for the MMS. My bet is that we'll get either a hunched over Baragon similar to the 90's one (which I'd prefer) or an almost upright one.

Though, what I'm wondering the most about is actually, if they'll go with folded or upright ears...
Size DOES matter!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Almost guarantee ears out. It's essential to Baragon's character.

And while Baragon is on two legs in many publicity photos, I'm specifically responding to JVM's comments saying he spent most of Frankenstein Conquers the World that way.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I'm gonna hop onto the "I'd prefer Baragon to be standing" boat. The Pagos figure is great and long overdo, but I wouldn't want to see it enlarged for the MMS Baragon. That being said, I DO hope the MMS Shin Pagos will be crawling and not just "Gabora without the frill".

In regards to "new", I Preordered the latest Mega Movie Monster Shin Ultraman (the Type A/"Landing Version" that just dropped). I think the Megas have been some of the strongest Bandai vinyls as of late despite their simplicity. Definitely more so than the smaller 6 inch ones that always tip over.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So....I bought these for 15000 yen, from a friend. I have a very important friend to me who is the owner of the bar I regularly go to. I never talk about Godzilla with random people meet, but one night a few weeks ago, my interest in Godzilla came up, and he said he had a bunch of figures from his childhood.He thought I'd take better care of them, and was happy to sell them to me. Anyways, I went out tonight, and he said I could list my price, or at least as much as I thought I thought they were worth, and even after I paid my given sum, he cleared my bar tab.

I told him I would feel bad if I vastly underpaid him, but I won't feel bad if I overpaid myself. Some of them are very damaged, (mother larva is missing a tusk), but SG, G94, and Mougera after a good scrub are really pristine. All of these are 9 inch figures, and the Battra is in good condition.

Also, these these weird rubbery things, caked in dust, but I sense are worth something. A rubbery G95 and what I think is a G94. I can clean them both easily and I think if I put double AAs in them they'll walk forward.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

The burning G looks like it’s probably from the Real Action line. Not sure what the larger rubber one is. I don’t know what the resale value is like in Japan, but from and American perspective I’d say you got a great deal. Those are easily worth 2 or 3 times that over here.