DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
17%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
48%

Total votes: 42

UltramanGoji

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mixed feelings.

I'm not a fan of anything Snyder, I love Gunn's DC work and trust him immensely to provide a good Superman story and I understand that in order for things to be set right that both good and bad have to go.

But Cavill was a damn good actor for the role and it sucks to have the rug pulled out from under him so soon after his return.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I’m avoiding a negative take because I really do think Gunn can deliver on a good universe, but I am disappointed by Cavill being out. He was a good Superman, even if the stories surrounding sucked.

I really don’t think Gunn’s humor is gonna be forced into every movie. It works when it works, but I doubt he’s gonna try and force it somewhere it doesn’t fit. He has shown he knows how to leave room for truly impactful emotional storylines.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Definitely mixed on this as well I loved the possibility of Henry Cavill coming back but at the end of the day a fresh start is best for these characters and if it's any consolation that means Jesse Eisenberg terrible take on Lex Luthor is gone too and I hope the new Superman film will delve more in the friendship turned enemy relationship that Lex and Clark have since it will be different from the previous movies.

Please get Jaime Alexander as Wonder Woman love Gal Gadot though but fresh start means recast everyone.

Added in 1 minute 59 seconds:
Fresh reboot also fixes Ezra Miller problem ironically granted they would've recast regardless of a reboot but just funny to think about.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Yeah, at this point I hope they keep the Battinson as its own separate thing (and I really hope we actually get the full story arc that Reeves was planning, however many films that is).

And then for the DCEU or whatever it’s going to be called I hope they just completely wipe the slate clean and start all over with all new actors, writers and so on. Which it sounds like that’s exactly what’s happening. I just hope they make good decisions and good movies. Like I said, I’m not convinced James Gunn is the man to deliver the DC films I want to see but I very much hope to be proven wrong.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly it sounds like the only actor that might be sticking around is Jason Momoa; because apparently he wants to ditch Aquaman and play Lobo instead. Ben Affleck also wants to DIRECT a DC movie, but I'm pretty sure he's done on the acting side of things.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I was never a big fan of Jason Momoa as Aquaman, but I can absolutely see him as Lobo. I'd pay money for that.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I can't believe the Monsterverse outlasted the DCEU.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:11 pm I can't believe the Monsterverse outlasted the DCEU.
It doesn't surprise me at all. The Monsterverse has been slow, taking it's time to establish the two main lead monsters (Godzilla and Kong). There seems to have been an overall directive vision after the sucuess of 2014, and they didn't count their chickens before they hatch. Likewise, the MV hasn't had any of the bizarre editing/butchering problems some of the DCEU films have had. The worst of the bunch (IMO) KOTM, isn't as narratively bad as some of the worst DCEU films. Likewise, and this is important, the MV commited to actually having a cinematic universe, versus "maybe this one is part of the same continuity?". Joker, Batman (Pattison), Gunn's Suicide Squad, Snyder Cut Justice League, and WW were all good. But obviously many of them don't take place in the same continuity.

The MV is the only cinematic universe, other than the cinematic universe MCU, to not be a complete shitshow. DCEU, even with some decent and fun films, is a complete bizarro bag, stiffled by studio executives, personal and global tragedies (what happened with Snyder, Covid-19) and lots of other issues. Peopel forget this, but DC isn't the only other diastaorous cinematic universe: who remembers that horrid Mummy movie from a couple years back?

Honestly, wouldn't mind if they just kept making some Batman films, a decent superman film. Throw a Flash film in there, and then in 10 years do another Justice league film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Oh gosh, the Dark Universe was dead on arrival. It’s kind of a shame since I do like the idea of the Universal monsters together, but they really just did it to emulate the MCU.

Hopefully DC is able to actually follow the MCU in terms of successfully setting up a universe while also adhering to something that sets it apart. It’ll encourage marvel to step up their game again instead of go complacent.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I guess the only question remaining is what will happen to Flashpoint? Supposedly that was supposed to be a major milestone for the now imploding DCEU, that was supposed to fix a bunch of it's problems, but now it's really in development hell. Ezra Miller is getting help, I think, but all of this going on makes me think the film will be abandoned like Batgirl, or heavily altered. Crazy.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I know isn't the thread but there are rumors the dark universe might make a comeback inside the chucky TV series.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

According to a source retreated by Den of Nerds(Guy who more or less said he heard Cavil was out a couple of days before it was official) everyone at DC is out expect the Suicide Squad, James Gunn's wife and Jason Momoa will be Lobo.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:31 pm According to a source retreated by Den if Nerds(Guy who more or less said he heard Cavil was out a couple of days before it was official) everyone at DC is out expect the Suicide Squad, James Gunn's wife and Jason Momoa will be Lobo.
There's a tweet already debunking this

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesGunn/st ... 8949344256

Throw DenofNerds out the window with the rest of the grifting rumor bloggers.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

If Gunn keeps his Nepotism in full effect while eliminating literally everyone else lol…
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

It doesn't sound like Dwayne's Black Adam will be moving forward.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/c ... lack_adam/

Personally I feel like the only ones who should be kept is the actors whose characters can be fully disconnected from the main DCEU. Like, Zachary's Shazam could honestly stand as its own thing beyond Superman's headless cameo at the end.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

How funny would it be if the whole truth is “we’re not recasting everybody but the Suicide Squad… we’re recasting everybody!”

I mean, at this point it’s what I expect, and kinda hope for.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I doubt peacemaker is gone so that’s one person staying unless Gunn stopped working on that.

Gal Gadot and Shazam might survive the purge alongside Suicide Squad but I heard Levi is apprantly out as well.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:01 pm I doubt peacemaker is gone so that’s one person staying unless Gunn stopped working on that.

Gal Gadot and Shazam might survive the purge alongside Suicide Squad but I heard Levi is apprantly out as well.
The only fair thing to do would be to reset everyone and everything. You don’t get to fire Batman, Superman, Shazam, Black Adam, and Aquaman, then keep an insultingly bad Harley Quinn, whoever’s even left from the Suicide Squad, James Gunn’s wife, a Wonder Woman who was easily the weakest actor in the old DCEU, and whatever background character remains lol.

Everyone wants more Joaquin Phoenix Joker, more Pattinson Batman, and are chomping at the bit to see Gaga deliver as Harley Quinn. If DC wants serious quality, they should take notes from the 2 current homerun hitters.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:49 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:01 pm I doubt peacemaker is gone so that’s one person staying unless Gunn stopped working on that.

The only fair thing to do would be to reset everyone and everything. You don’t get to fire Batman, Superman, Shazam, Black Adam, and Aquaman, then keep an insultingly bad Harley Quinn, whoever’s even left from the Suicide Squad, James Gunn’s wife, a Wonder Woman who was easily the weakest actor in the old DCEU, and whatever background character remains lol.

Everyone wants more Joaquin Phoenix Joker, more Pattinson Batman, and are chomping at the bit to see Gaga deliver as Harley Quinn. If DC wants serious quality, they should take notes from the 2 current homerun hitters.
That funny you mention Gaga because I almost unfollowed a friend for over a decade because according to him Gaga was the worst casting choice DC could have made and when I brought all her academy nomination he sent me sarcastic replies back.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Insultingly bad Harley Quinn? How? I honestly think that Margot Robbie is spot on perfect casting. She hasn't been in the best movies (though I personally loved BoP), but imo the actress has nailed Harley Quinn to a T.

Honestly the only part of the DCEU worth keeping in my opinion is Peacemaker. That one season was one of the best things I've ever seen.

Added in 4 minutes 19 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:42 pm

That funny you mention Gaga because I almost unfollowed a friend for over a decade because according to him Gaga was the worst casting choice DC could have made and when I brought all her academy nomination he sent me sarcastic replies back.
I've never seen Gaga's acting, so just what I know of her from her music videos and award show appearances, it feels like a weird choice. But I've heard about the academy nomination/s and I'm more than willing to give her a chance. Just got to wait and see, but I'm pretty excited to see how it works.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.