DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by _JNavs_ »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:55 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:49 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:01 pm I doubt peacemaker is gone so that’s one person staying unless Gunn stopped working on that.

Gal Gadot and Shazam might survive the purge alongside Suicide Squad but I heard Levi is apprantly out as well.
The only fair thing to do would be to reset everyone and everything. You don’t get to fire Batman, Superman, Shazam, Black Adam, and Aquaman, then keep an insultingly bad Harley Quinn, whoever’s even left from the Suicide Squad, James Gunn’s wife, a Wonder Woman who was easily the weakest actor in the old DCEU, and whatever background character remains lol.

Everyone wants more Joaquin Phoenix Joker, more Pattinson Batman, and are chomping at the bit to see Gaga deliver as Harley Quinn. If DC wants serious quality, they should take notes from the 2 current homerun hitters.
Insultingly bad Harley Quinn? How? I honestly think that Margot Robbie is spot on perfect casting. She hasn't been in the best movies (though I personally loved BoP), but imo the actress has nailed Harley Quinn to a T.

Honestly the only part of the DCEU worth keeping in my opinion is Peacemaker. That one season was one of the best things I've ever seen.
I live in New York, and so I hear/have “the accent”. Harley is notorious for having “the accent”, it’s something Tara Strong perfected to a Tee. However, Margot Robbie has an absolutely gratingly poor grasp on the accent, making her sound more like a Valley girl putting on a fake attempt. It’s almost insulting imo, and one of the more important aspects of the character. It isn’t a requirement, but if you’re going to attempt it, find someone who can do it well or naturally.

Sure, Margot has the looks, but her character is written to be unintelligent, ditzy, her life isn’t portrayed as tragic at all, besides one or two flashes in Ayer’s mess of a film. Gunn did her no favors in his version either. All Birds of Prey did (imo) was have her try and eat a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich for two hours. She feels like a Coney Island Caricature of who Harley Quinn is.

I want the tragedy, I want to see the Stockholm syndrome on full blast, I want to see the adrenaline addiction, I want to see her wits put to the test. I want her to feel like she’d exist in something like The Batman or The Dark Knight. That’s why I’m looking forward to Gaga’s portrayal in Joker II. We’ve had three films with Margot, with three different directors, and who knows how many different writers. She just isn’t good in the role, and I’m sure there are plenty of arthouse actresses begging to play the part correctly and/or faithfully.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:10 pmI live in New York, and so I hear/have “the accent”. Harley is notorious for having “the accent”, it’s something Tara Strong perfected to a Tee. However, Margot Robbie has an absolutely gratingly poor grasp on the accent, making her sound more like a Valley girl putting on a fake attempt. It’s almost insulting imo, and one of the more important aspects of the character. It isn’t a requirement, but if you’re going to attempt it, find someone who can do it well or naturally.

Sure, Margot has the looks, but her character is written to be unintelligent, ditzy, her life isn’t portrayed as tragic at all, besides one or two flashes in Ayer’s mess of a film. Gunn did her no favors in his version either. All Birds of Prey did (imo) was have her try and eat a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich for two hours. She feels like a Coney Island Caricature of who Harley Quinn is.

I want the tragedy, I want to see the Stockholm syndrome on full blast, I want to see the adrenaline addiction, I want to see her wits put to the test. I want her to feel like she’d exist in something like The Batman or The Dark Knight. That’s why I’m looking forward to Gaga’s portrayal in Joker II. We’ve had three films with Margot, with three different directors, and who knows how many different writers. She just isn’t good in the role, and I’m sure there are plenty of arthouse actresses begging to play the part correctly and/or faithfully.
You're not going to see the Stockholm syndrome or adrenaline addiction in a mass-marketed mainstream audience film. Those are aspects of the character I think DC has already been sanding off in mediums besides film when they want to portray her as a protagonist. The Suicide Squad movies aren't compatible with The Dark Knight or The Batman and a Harley that would fit the more serious, gritty tone of those films would suck in a Suicide Squad movie. Totally different kinds of projects. I would love to see the kind of Harley you're talking about, fyi, and you're right about the accent, I'm not saying this to disagree, but I'm used to finding the character watered down in most modern adaptions because there is so much emphasis on her as an anti-hero and pivoting her into that role usually ends up leading to minimizing the character's more 'fucked up' traits, or ends up not serving the anti-hero role well anyway. I've come to prefer her as a straight-up villain.

I think DC has been a victim of rumor mill a lot. People have spent the last six or seven years claiming every week that this or that actor is fired and definitely not coming back, and yeah, some of them are probably right -- but it's not because anyone had a scoop, it's gossip, guesswork and coincidences. This is the first time Henry Cavill was officially fired, but there were headlines about him getting fired when BVS was coming out. Superhero characters are not an ongoing job or a public office - they aren't going to make an announcement of a big 'firing' without a new project involved or a personal scandal much deeper than any specific role. Rumor mill gets out of hand and people run through all of this stuff and make assumptions based on assumptions based on rumors. Gunn hasn't really said anything very definitive about the new DC universe and we already have competing articles trotting out everyone and their grandmother getting sacked and people get mad at him when none of these decisions are official.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

JVM wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:35 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:10 pmI live in New York, and so I hear/have “the accent”. Harley is notorious for having “the accent”, it’s something Tara Strong perfected to a Tee. However, Margot Robbie has an absolutely gratingly poor grasp on the accent, making her sound more like a Valley girl putting on a fake attempt. It’s almost insulting imo, and one of the more important aspects of the character. It isn’t a requirement, but if you’re going to attempt it, find someone who can do it well or naturally.

You're not going to see the Stockholm syndrome or adrenaline addiction in a mass-marketed mainstream audience film. Those are aspects of the character I think DC has already been sanding off in mediums besides film when they want to portray her as a protagonist. The Suicide Squad movies aren't compatible with The Dark Knight or The Batman and a Harley that would fit the more serious, gritty tone of those films would suck in a Suicide Squad movie. Totally different kinds of projects. I would love to see the kind of Harley you're talking about, fyi, and you're right about the accent, I'm not saying this to disagree, but I'm used to finding the character watered down in most modern adaptions because there is so much emphasis on her as an anti-hero and pivoting her into that role usually ends up leading to minimizing the character's more 'fucked up' traits, or ends up not serving the anti-hero role well anyway. I've come to prefer her as a straight-up villain.
Absolutely, this was a good analysis. I can see how a Mainstream audience Suicide Squad film would benefit from being more of an action, balls-to-the-wall idea. With the usual sacrifice that comes with action films being a lack of pause and subtlety we see with the darker, grittier films.

As you mentioned these hard-hitting characteristics of Harley have been being sanded/watered down for a while now, and if it weren’t for Todd Phillips taking a swing at the character I’d worry we’d be stuck with the parody caricature of the original Harley we’ve been getting for more than a decade.

What a lot of New 52-current Harley fans don’t realize is just how many people, specifically women, resonated with the original Harley, with those more tragic aspects to her character. A lot of them, my girlfriend being one, feel like they’ve taken this comfort villain who’s been through hell and back with a smile repeatedly, and turned her into a candy-corn, mainstream, glorified hero. Like you, the emphasis on turning her into a Deadpool-styled anti-hero just isn’t our cup of tea.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:10 pm
Vakanai wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:55 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:49 pm
The only fair thing to do would be to reset everyone and everything. You don’t get to fire Batman, Superman, Shazam, Black Adam, and Aquaman, then keep an insultingly bad Harley Quinn, whoever’s even left from the Suicide Squad, James Gunn’s wife, a Wonder Woman who was easily the weakest actor in the old DCEU, and whatever background character remains lol.

Everyone wants more Joaquin Phoenix Joker, more Pattinson Batman, and are chomping at the bit to see Gaga deliver as Harley Quinn. If DC wants serious quality, they should take notes from the 2 current homerun hitters.
Insultingly bad Harley Quinn? How? I honestly think that Margot Robbie is spot on perfect casting. She hasn't been in the best movies (though I personally loved BoP), but imo the actress has nailed Harley Quinn to a T.

Honestly the only part of the DCEU worth keeping in my opinion is Peacemaker. That one season was one of the best things I've ever seen.
I live in New York, and so I hear/have “the accent”. Harley is notorious for having “the accent”, it’s something Tara Strong perfected to a Tee. However, Margot Robbie has an absolutely gratingly poor grasp on the accent, making her sound more like a Valley girl putting on a fake attempt. It’s almost insulting imo, and one of the more important aspects of the character. It isn’t a requirement, but if you’re going to attempt it, find someone who can do it well or naturally.

Fair enough (although I kind of liked toning down "the accent" a bit, but I'm no New Yorker). And agreed, I'm looking forward to seeing Gaga's Harley in Joker II too.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Just saw Black Adam, movie was entertaining and I enjoyed it but man that post credit screen got me hyped and now it's not gonna happen.

Action figure fight it is then.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I really enjoyed Black Adam. In my opinion, it's the best DCEU film since Shazam! (not counting Zack Snyder's Justice League since that movie was supposed to come out in 2017 before Joss Whedon fucked it up) Everything in between ranged from "meh" to "good, but not amazing".

Anyway, it's pretty sad to see the state of the DCEU right now. No more Henry Cavill as Superman, no more Ben Affleck as Batman. I was a huge fan and supporter of this shared universe, even if I didn't liked all the movies (Birds of Prey, and I'm not interested in Peacemaker) or questioned some of the decisions on the newer movies (not a huge fan of the humor in The Suicide Squad). I loved Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Wonder Woman, and I really liked Suicide Squad, Aquaman and Shazam!. But at least I'll still get to love these movies while the new DC Universe gets made. I might like the movies we'll get in the future, but I'll always look back at the early years of the DCEU and think to myself "Man, those were the days. If only....".
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Okay, so uhh... The villain for The Flash has been leaked and uh.. Wow. I know it's just a toy and I really shouldn't judge to hard but this thing looks awful. And apparently his suit is made out of
Spoiler:
Kryptonian material? For some reason? IDK dude.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The trailer for Shazam 2 is out, and it looks like good dumb fun. Kind of generic sequel stuff in terms of plot, but I'm totally on board for seeing a proper, large scale smackdown between superheroes and mythological monsters. That's something Marvel has never delivered very effectively, so DC might be showing how it's done for a change.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Shazam looks…fine, I suppose. Not the most exciting thing in the world.

The Flash is really where my interest lies. The idea of a Flashpoint adaptation where Two Flashes, Keaton’s Batman, Affleck’s Batman, Supergirl,
Spoiler:
Gadot’s Wonder Woman, Zod, Faora,
and a
Spoiler:
entirely new evil Flash variant
are all present sounds super fun.

Even with all the background drama, it’d be worth it just to see Keaton’s Batman return.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Swamp Thing is awesome. Get Guillermo Del Toro people! New DC slate is interesting but Swamp Thing definitely peaks my interest. Loved the series, sucks it got cancelled before it even had a chance.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

That new slate looks really promising. I’m very interested in a new take on Supes and esp the Swamp Thing feature.

As for the shows, Booster Gold will def be something I’ll keep my eyes on. He’s a fun character.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Here's the Variety article covering everything.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/dc-u ... 07426/amp/

Apparently The Batman trilogy will be under the Elseworlds subline.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

*Ahem*

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSTERRRRR GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!

Aight that's all I wanted to say./s

I'm pretty hyped overall. It sounds like it's going to be a 90% reboot, but some things from the old DCEU is going to stay. Pretty odd that Damien is gonna be the first Robin to get focus, but its not like Dick, Jason and Tim were outright erased or anything like that.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Sounds like a 10 year plan he came up with last night.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Seems like a half-way decent way of allowing things that were already finished to wrap-up and continue. Jnavs you might be sad, but hey you still get a Joker sequel. Batman and Robin, not just a batman film might be fun. I liked some of the individual DCEU movies, but overall it was so mid. Cautiously optimistic about this!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

James Mangold likely to direct Swamp Thing. He's in talks and the director himself tweeted a Swamp Thing image on his Twitter.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

So Grand Randolf and a couple insiders are implying the next Batman is either Keaton. Clooney or Bale and now Clooney is getting more traction.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:24 pm Do Grand Randolf and a couple insiders are implying the next Batman is either Keaton. Clooney or Bale and now Clooney is getting more traction.
IT'S JAMES GUNN WITH A STEEL CHAIR!

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesGunn/st ... 9756252160
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

NSZ wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:34 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:24 pm Do Grand Randolf and a couple insiders are implying the next Batman is either Keaton. Clooney or Bale and now Clooney is getting more traction.
IT'S JAMES GUNN WITH A STEEL CHAIR!

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesGunn/st ... 9756252160
He needed to squash this one.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Even before Gunn shot this down, I don’t trust Grace Randolph. She has a very bad record of her “leaks” and is in general a person that rubs me the wrong way.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image