Marvel Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorites (so far)?

Iron Man (2008)
9%
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
1%
Iron Man 2 (2010)
1%
Thor (2011)
1%
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
4%
The Avengers (2012)
8%
Iron Man 3 (2013)
1%
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
1%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
9%
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
9%
The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
2%
Ant-Man (2015)
1%
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
6%
Doctor Strange (2016)
2%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 (2017)
4%
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
3%
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
7%
Black Panther (2018)
2%
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
11%
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
1%
Captain Marvel (2019)
1%
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
9%
Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
4%

Total votes: 403

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post by miguelnuva »

I still would have tried to go with Dafne Keen as Wolverine at least initially if I was Marvel.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:31 am Kang and MODOK are officially the villains of Ant-Man 3. Seems MODOK will probably be the "benefactor" mentioned in the previous film. Just a guess but it makes sense.
I suspect Kang will have a bunch of appearances throughout the next few Marvel films, before being the main villain of Kang dynasty. If I’m correct, there’s dozens of different Kangs from different timelines. The one we’ve seen in Loki was just one example.

It’ll be a unique approach versus “COLLECT THE MCGUFFINS”, to have the build up be multiple versions of the same villain.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:34 pm Was anyone, anywhere, really asking for an Agatha Harkness series?
Yes. The character developed a very vocal following in the wake of WandaVision, and I saw plenty of people online specifically asking for an Agatha Harkness series.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yup, me and my wife loved the Agatha character in Wandavision. We're happy she's getting her own show.

Not saying it's happening here, but there are way too many fanboys out there in internetland who think they know exactly what general audiences want.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I guess I stand corrected. :shrug: I dunno, the idea just hadn't even occurred to me. She was kind of a forgettable villain, if definitely out of the ordinary for the MCU.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Saw the leaked trailer for Guardians 3.
Spoiler:
So from what I hear the movie is gonna focus more on Rocket especially regarding his origins since we even see him as a baby.

Oh god...No...Please don't let my boi Rocket die...I'm starting to dread that feeling. Let him and Groot go into the distance together on a more positive note before they met the other Guardians.

I would had thought maybe it'd be Drax who dies given this Dave Bautista's last role but perhaps he and Mantis just might get together and settle.

Please anything but my boi Rocket! I don't think I could handle it.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

X-Men Films Pre-MCU - 13
Marvel Studios Produced Films confirmed - 39
Sony Spider-Man Films confirmed - 14

Insane head count
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:12 pm X-Men Films Pre-MCU - 13

Insane head count
I can kind of give you the Spider-Man series since Tobey, Andrew, and their backstories are actually important in NWH. Trying to act like AU Prof. X's short little cameo in MoM makes the X-Men series mandatory MCU viewing is ludicrous.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

So I'm in a Facebook group and people are already responding with be ready to be called a racist if you don't like Black Panther.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:47 pm So I'm in a Facebook group and people are already responding with be ready to be called a racist if you don't like Black Panther.
That's why you gotta' say it with a Blade hat, T-shirt on.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Was ready to write off Marvel, but dang if that Black Panther trailer doesn't look amazing. Was real worried, 'cause Coogler is a great director but the circumstances around the production have been such a nightmare. Very impressed by the visuals, seeing Angela Bassett take center stage, the Aztec-inspired Atlantians and Namor, and I was surprised to see the addition of Michaela Coel - who's a great actress and one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen so that made me quite happy!

Is Blade PG13? Dunno about that...

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Blade has me more interested than most projects. Cause of everything, I think this could be one that REALLY spells change for the MCU. Now I'm not talking Multiverse-levels of change, but if they follow the comics, and I'm sure they are, that means there is a LARGE amount of vampires hiding within humanity. This will be the first, beating out Mutants, revealed Skrulls, etc.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:20 am
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:47 pm So I'm in a Facebook group and people are already responding with be ready to be called a racist if you don't like Black Panther.
Blade is a masterpiece and was doing what Black Panther was doing 20 years before BP came out, and Will Smith was basically Superman as Hancock a whole decade before BP. People completely memory-holed those movies (as well as almost the entire careers of stars like Will Smith, Denzel Washington, etc) when writing the headlines for BP.

I'm not optimistic for a Black Panther movie without Black Panther. It doesn't matter who is wearing the suit, it won't be the character. Boseman is a legend, and he was perfect as T'Challa. No T'Challa, no Black Panther.

I have zero faith in a PG-13 MCU Blade movie. Ali is mega talented but he won't be able to make that film legit.

Added in 5 minutes 13 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:53 pm
Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:12 pm X-Men Films Pre-MCU - 13

Insane head count
I can kind of give you the Spider-Man series since Tobey, Andrew, and their backstories are actually important in NWH. Trying to act like AU Prof. X's short little cameo in MoM makes the X-Men series mandatory MCU viewing is ludicrous.
I just mean it in a sense of the connected and tangential properties. That is why I separated them. Plus...if Marvel Studios IS Doing a new Deadpool movie, then in a weird way that is going to bring in the first two Deadpool movies, which connect in all sorts of direct and indirect ways to all of the other X-Men movies. I think it is all going to be grandfathered in on a multiverse level.

I didn't include the Fantastic Four movies, because the version of Reed we got was completely disconnected from any of those incarnations. But having Stewart as Prof X was done to create a line of connection, for sure. It is Stewart sort of playing a version of the character from the 90s animated series, they even played that theme. So it is a unique double reference/connection. I am told they went back to the well again when they revealed Kamala was a mutant. So they are stitching all kinds of connective threads.

But it is tangential, for sure. Who knows how wide ranging and inclusive the Spider-Verse animated sequels will go. But at this point, if two Marvel properties talk about multiverses, and each have films dealing with multiverses, then I don't think they need to 'multiverse into each other' directly to make that connection pretty clear.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

My only gripe with BP2 is I just don't see the need to retire the character because the actor died. Yes, it is tragic. Super tragic and he was an awesome character who OWNED that role. But I just think it would be even better to allow another talented actor to step into the role. It wouldn't be the first time an MCU actor changed (yes, due to THESE circumstances, it would), and there's still more and more and more stories that could have been told of T'Challa.

Quote of the Year:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Chrispy_G wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:13 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:20 am
Blade is a masterpiece and was doing what Black Panther was doing 20 years before BP came out, and Will Smith was basically Superman as Hancock a whole decade before BP. People completely memory-holed those movies (as well as almost the entire careers of stars like Will Smith, Denzel Washington, etc) when writing the headlines for BP.

I'm not optimistic for a Black Panther movie without Black Panther. It doesn't matter who is wearing the suit, it won't be the character. Boseman is a legend, and he was perfect as T'Challa. No T'Challa, no Black Panther.

I have zero faith in a PG-13 MCU Blade movie. Ali is mega talented but he won't be able to make that film legit.

Blade was great for its time and it holds up well today, I'll watch that Trilogy any day of he week. It doesn't hold a candle to what Black Panther did. Hancock was also a fun time, but not only was Will Smith the only actor of color that was longer than a Cameo there are some people who consider Jason Bateman the main character. Black Panther was the first major predominately black cast with an African/African American feel to it. No one forgot WIll Smith or Denzel Washington but BP was a first for its time. It also grossed over 1b in a dead month, highly impressive.

The only difference between BP and Blade is that one was released before people decided they had to attack movies they consider to be woke. Black Panther is not the greatest thing ever made, no by far but it was an entertaining movie and was a very important film.

Sorry you're going to miss out on the film but I for one and a lot of people I talk to thought the trailer was done well, and Angela Bassett alone in that trailer has made me want to see the film and I am interested in seeing the origin of the next BP. Yes I would have preferred T'Challa and Chadwick, but with the right story I am interested in seeing Shuri morn and finally stand in for her brother or whoever they make the new BP.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Chrispy_G wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:13 pmBlade is a masterpiece and was doing what Black Panther was doing 20 years before BP came out, and Will Smith was basically Superman as Hancock a whole decade before BP. People completely memory-holed those movies (as well as almost the entire careers of stars like Will Smith, Denzel Washington, etc) when writing the headlines for BP.
And before those there was also Spawn (1997), Meteor Man, Steel.

Folks acting like Black Panther was the very first black superhero movie. :roll:

Please the Wesley Snipes Blade movies (At least the first two) blows Black Panther out of the water. Such an overrated film that's basically The Lion King in terms of plot. IMO it's an above-average film at best.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:22 pm And before those there was also Spawn (1997), Meteor Man, Steel.

Folks acting like Black Panther was the very first black superhero movie. :roll:

Please the Wesley Snipes Blade movies (At least the first two) blows Black Panther out of the water. Such an overrated film that's basically The Lion King in terms of plot. IMO it's an above-average film at best.
The only one of the movies you mentioned that was written and directed by African Americans was The Meteor Man. Wikipedia says made $8 million domestically against a $20 million budget, so I'm not sure it was on many people's radar then or now, and it certainly didn't leave the same sort of cultural footprint that Black Panther has.

This is was Miguel said -- that was the first (to my knowledge) major studio superhero movie that explored elements of African American culture from a Black lens. So while it wasn't the first movie about a Black superhero, it was effectively the first superhero movie made primarily by Black voices which also resulted in a major critical and commercial hit (again, to my knowledge).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:22 pm
Chrispy_G wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:13 pmBlade is a masterpiece and was doing what Black Panther was doing 20 years before BP came out, and Will Smith was basically Superman as Hancock a whole decade before BP. People completely memory-holed those movies (as well as almost the entire careers of stars like Will Smith, Denzel Washington, etc) when writing the headlines for BP.
And before those there was also Spawn (1997), Meteor Man, Steel.

Terasawa and myself already explained but because I liked Spawn so much as a kid and Steel was okay because it was Shaq I'll say it. Spawn flopped so bad that even with Jamie Foxx and a low budget Todd Mcfarlene is struggling to get a 2nd film off the going, it has been in development since at least 2010, Also Spawn had two Black people in it and had a lot of racial issue behind that. Steel flopped even worse than Spawn did. Steel might be one of the biggest bombs of all time as matter of fact.

AS for the Lion King comparison Black Panther is about as similar to Lion King as Return of the Jedi is. They have a few basic story beats but other than they are both set in Africa.

Also as I said Blade was great, loved all three to this day, I wouldn't say blows Black Panther out the water.

Added in 1 minute 41 seconds:
Blade also didn't have the cultural impact Black Panther has. The MCU Blade is likely going to have a much bigger culture impact.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:45 pm Blade also didn't have the cultural impact Black Panther has. The MCU Blade is likely going to have a much bigger culture impact.
In a different way, I sincerely hope. Blade doesn't need to address the same issues BP does.

Quote of the Year:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Blade comes out the same year as Deadpool 3 right? That means there’s a chance Blade can be Marvel’s second R-Rated film if they time it right.

They see how DP3 does at the box office, what it did correctly, what fans loved specifically due to it’s rating. Then take those same risks with Blade.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira