The Cloverfield Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Tyrannoraptor
Monsterland Worker

Re: The Cloverfield Thread

Post by Tyrannoraptor »

PRIMEVAL wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Well, if Paradox is a prequel, you'd be like a baby too if you were suddenly warped into this dimension and people are running around screaming and shooting at you.
I thought it was pretty obvious Paradox wasn't a prequel.
A presequel? I mean... it happens after the three previous events so far, and it is what caused those said events to happen. The timeline is a bit wibbly wobbly.
I've just doubted that Cloverfield monster is an overgrown baby.
Last edited by Tyrannoraptor on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I am guessing that Comic-Con had no additional details on this supposed "real" Cloverfield (2008) sequel?

I wish they'd translate and publish the manga in English.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Tohosaurus wrote:I am guessing that Comic-Con had no additional details on this supposed "real" Cloverfield (2008) sequel?

Surprised they hadn't done that years ago. I always thought IDW would be the guys to do that in wake of the original. Strike while the iron was still hot if you will.

Anyhoo, interesting fan-flick set in the CLOVERFIELD multiverse entitled, MEGAN . It features the daughter of John Goodman's lovable, but bat guano crazy prophet of doom from 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/videos/35 ... ceptional/
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

The One and Only wrote:
Tohosaurus wrote:I am guessing that Comic-Con had no additional details on this supposed "real" Cloverfield (2008) sequel?

Surprised they hadn't done that years ago. I always thought IDW would be the guys to do that in wake of the original. Strike while the iron was still hot if you will.

Anyhoo, interesting fan-flick set in the CLOVERFIELD multiverse entitled, MEGAN . It features the daughter of John Goodman's lovable, but bat guano crazy prophet of doom from 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/videos/35 ... ceptional/
Those 5 minutes were far more entertaining that the entirety of PARADOX... impressive.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Giving the film a rewatch right now, this is a classic in the making tbh. It is such a good monster film, and the theme is iconic.

Plus the reviews are pretty solid across the board.

Added in 10 months 25 days 20 hours 43 minutes 29 seconds:
So i know Paradox was buttcheeks for the most part. But if there's one saving grace, it's that the film still manages to make Cloverfield seem like a genuine mysterious threat that most kaiju are known for, even if it's for 3 seconds. Plus it also shows that Cloverfield can still deliver a scare, even if it's not being recorded from a found footage camera. Which means the monster could work in an actual film (rather than found footage).

I could legitimately see Clovie going up against some other inter-galactic threat that crashes lands in the ashes of NYC. Tbh i could see Clovie being as represented as Big G. He represents something that's almost as tragic as Big G, his first film really struck with the audience it was aiming for, and so he's perfectly set up to start a series of films. Something like the horror side of the Kaiju genre.

Too bad everyone that owns the license seems to gloss over the fact that they have a diamond in the haystack. JJ said he wanted this creature to be "America's Godzilla", they should continue the trend.

Thanks for coming to my TEDTalk.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Speaking of Cloverfield... is this franchise dead or what?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JJ said they were working on a true sequel then he got called in to do another Star Wars, had the deal with Bad Robot and WB then Covid hit.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gigantis wrote:Speaking of Cloverfield... is this franchise dead or what?
Two critically and commercially successful films, and one bad one, doesn't equate to a dead franchise. I suppose Paradox might have done severe damage to the brand value though. It's the type of thing that if they dissociate it from Paradox as much as possible it's fixable. But then....why even call it or relate it to Cloverfield?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Gigantis wrote:Speaking of Cloverfield... is this franchise dead or what?
Two critically and commercially successful films, and one bad one, doesn't equate to a dead franchise. I suppose Paradox might have done severe damage to the brand value though. It's the type of thing that if they dissociate it from Paradox as much as possible it's fixable. But then....why even call it or relate it to Cloverfield?
Tell that the the Monsterverse hates. Two decent films and one bad equals franchise death to some apparantly.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just got done with the first movie again. My memories of it had kind of soured over the years, for whatever reason, but it actually is very good. Among the best American kaiju films. It's very unconventional, of course, and does a very good job feeling convincing. The characters, for the most part, felt like real people suddenly finding themselves in an unreal situation and staggering through it as best they can.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I love the original. I felt that the movie showed New Yorkers strength and friendship during a horrific event.
Anyway, when we do receive news for a sequel, the news will be in the form of a suprise trailer/super bowl spot like the last two.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I used to be against using Cloverfield as just another monster in a high budget movie, rather i preferred him to be strictly recorded in found footage. However like I've said above, at this point the dude can be an icon in anything he's in. People love to see him, love to root for him, love the mysterious backstory.

He has all the workings of the next big franchise.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Cloverfield 2 is going to be almost like Avatar 2 at this rate. Cloverfield 2 should have come out 9-10 years ago, the had magic with the original premise and the original sequel would have been awesome and quick to film.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Cloverfield 2 has one benefit over Avatar 2 in that the latest film related to it is still somewhat fresh in people's minds. Many remember being disappointed in Paradox's mishandling of the creature and a new movie that fixes that problem has the potential to woo people back.

Avatar 2 on the other hand, is a sequel to a movie that barely anybody in the general populace really remembers or remembers fondly. Most people know it for its financial success, "blue cat Native American expies" and nothing more.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Cloverfield sequel is alive and well, now in production at Paramount.

Glad to hear, the first movie was way too good to ignore completely. The two sequels, as much as I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane, could literally be called anything else, and the less said about Cloverfield Paradox, the better. It'll be a true sequel this time with the actual (or another?) Clover monster.
Last edited by KManX89 on Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

KManX89 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:10 pm Cloverfield sequel is alive and well, now in production at Paramount.

Glad to hear, the first movie was way too good to ignore completely. The two sequels, as much as I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane, could literally be called anything else, and the less said about Cloverfield Paradox, the better. It'll be a true sequel this time with the actual (or another?) Clover monster.
Would be cool if it’s done in the same style as the first one, albeit with more monster action.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:14 pm
KManX89 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:10 pm Cloverfield sequel is alive and well, now in production at Paramount.

Would be cool if it’s done in the same style as the first one, albeit with more monster action.
Apparently they're discarding the Found-Footage aesthetic, don't know how I feel about that. But maybe this is Cloverfield's time to shine as an actual kaiju, traditionally? Like potentially sole-focus franchise worthy?

Maybe even some versus films?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It would be hard to justify another found footage film if they want to continue the story of the first film and not just show us another perspective. I think a regular, traditional film sequel for Cloverfield is much warranted after the last two "sequels".

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Yeah just go full ACTUAL Cloverfield universe.... with the monster.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I'll watch it. The "sequels" are...eh. Like, this is the only kaiju movie to ever spawn non-kaiju movie sequels. It'd be like a Batman sequel with no Batman or even any DC characters at all. So a true kaiju sequel finally? I'll watch it!

I actually used to hate Cloverfield, but that's because...I wanted an American Godzilla type movie. And this was nothing like that. Then 2014 delivered what I wanted, and I could return to this movie without holding it up to the expectations of what I wanted it to be, and suddenly it was a great movie for me!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.